• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Mike Huckabee says churches should give up tax exempt status

Interesting. I'm fervently against churches being classified as 501c3 organizations. I don't know exactly how those types of organizations differ in terms of tax breaks in comparison to other NPO's, but they have no business being 501c3's just because they're churches/religious (there are no charitable requirements in order for a church to qualify as a 501c3, which are primarily for charities.) The government should not be promoting religion. While I don't think churches get as much oversight as many secular NPO's do (actually, I think religious organizations in general get lax oversight in comparison to their secular counterparts,) they're still technically NPO's and shouldn't have any different standards/tax regulations as other NPO's. The problems I have are mainly the double standards in comparison to secular organizations and classifying them as charities just by virtue of them being religious.

I also agree. One reason is that many churches enter into commercial enterprises for the sole purpose of raising revenue, dub them "ministries" and then skate without paying a dime on the same kind of things that private businesses would be taxed upon. A church in Oklahoma City that was running a day care center also tried to claim that they should not be subject to the rules of the health department or to periodic health inspections because it was a ministry and not a day care center. The state did not concur with their definition. When the health department inspected the place they found so many violations that they shut them down. Unsanitary conditions, untrained workers, inadequate safety measures, nutritionally inadequate meals, improperly cooked food, you name it. They met virtually none of the standards that private day care centers must meet to stay open. Since it was in the name of the Lord, the state was supposed to ignore all that, I suppose.

I also agree. One reason is that many churches enter into commercial enterprises for the sole purpose of raising revenue, dub them "ministries" and then skate without paying a dime on the same kind of things that private businesses would be taxed upon. A church in Oklahoma City that was running a day care center also tried to claim that they should not be subject to the rules of the health department or to periodic health inspections because it was a ministry and not a day care center. The state did not concur with their definition. When the health department inspected the place they found so many violations that they shut them down. Unsanitary conditions, untrained workers, inadequate safety measures, nutritionally inadequate meals, improperly cooked food, you name it. They met virtually none of the standards that private day care centers must meet to stay open. Since it was in the name of the Lord, the state was supposed to ignore all that, I suppose.

That is awful what that church was doing. I don't think that "many" churches do the same type of thing, though. Just like Gosnell wasn't representative of abortion clinics around the country.

That is awful what that church was doing. I don't think that "many" churches do the same type of thing, though. Just like Gosnell wasn't representative of abortion clinics around the country.

The point isn't whether they were the norm or not though, the point is that they should be held to the same legal standards and oversight as secular organizations. Oversight, whether it's in regard to the health code, building code, tax code, etc., should involve just as much scrutiny with churches as it does with everyone else.

I already stated why.  As long as we are tied to the government with tax breaks we run the risk of having them trying to influence the church.  It is the same exact reason I am not in favor of vouchers for religious schools.

Less ties to the government = better.

There is no paid clergy in my church.  Taxing money used to build more chapels and help millions in need throughout the world is absolutely tyrannical and shouldn't even be considered.

Obama should force it down the church's throats, then.  That tyrant.