• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Gameday Thread: Angels @ Twins (7/25/21): Barria on the mound

7 minutes ago, rageous said:

Wrong he's striking out at at a good clip while walking 1 time in July.

He's pretty much swinging at anything close and pitchers are realizing this.

Not wrong, he's not getting worked.  He's had two called third strikes that were laughably bad calls, and another that was iffy -- but I can't actually recall if that was a third strike or not.

The sample sizes are tiny, but so far he's got a LD rate over 40%, as is his hard hit rate (his average exit velocity has been 92.6 MPH).  Maybe more importantly he's continued to use the entire field, he's not been behind and fake pulling balls.  He's not been unlucky really, he's just not had balls fall in.

You go ahead and keep fixating on results, but I'll continue to pay greater heed to what he's actually been doing.  

1 minute ago, Blarg said:

DTown has had a hate on stiffy for Ward for years. When Ward went on a hitting streak you could actually hear his teeth grinding over the Ethernet. 

I guess that's similar to my hatred over Rengifo but mine is actually warranted.

Barria's start today should be a message that the Angels can and should sell on the deadline and may end up better despite "selling". There are guys in the organization that aren't in the Majors that make this team better. Come the trade deadline on Friday Barria will be a regular in the rotation. 

Unpopular opinion incoming, even though the Angels won, they should seriously consider selling.  It's a bitter pill to swallow, but the team needs to let the young pitchers to get some experience now and hopefully make some strides/adjustments this year so that they the rotation will be better next season. 

1 minute ago, aznhockeyguy said:

Unpopular opinion incoming, even though the Angels won, they should seriously consider selling.  It's a bitter pill to swallow, but the team needs to let the young pitchers to get some experience now and hopefully make some strides/adjustments this year so that they the rotation will be better next season. 

I don't think that's unpopular. Many here want the Angels to sell.

8 minutes ago, JustATroutFan said:

Ward is okay. He didn't light the world on fire when Trout and Upton were both on the IL. But he did contribute to a degree, something that the Angels gladly took. If he's your best OF, you're in trouble. 

Yeah, he's fine as the 26th guy on the roster.  He can play all over, has some pop, can milk the occasional walk.  Like a lot of guys he's likely been overexposed due to injuries and the sort.  

2 minutes ago, aznhockeyguy said:

I want them to sell.   Lock up whoever you want to keep around then sell.  If you can trade for a controllable arm.  Great.

1 minute ago, Inside Pitch said:

Yeah, he's fine as the 26th guy on the roster.  He can play all over, has some pop, can milk the occasional walk.  Like a lot of guys he's likely been overexposed due to injuries and the sort.  

Agree.  He has a role in the big leagues.  It is just a bummer the Angels wasted a first round pick on this outcome, and I do think many fans have tried to “keep the faith” that it would end up differently, probably longer than they objectively should have.

36 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

I hope they quickly sign Detmers and CRod to long terms deals so you can instantly hate them and be forced to start promoting a couple of other players. 

I hate long term deals of 150 to 250 million. Fletcher type deals are good and smart. Detmers and Chris Rod few years away from any extension. Rendon type deals are bad and very rarely pan out. I feel halos going in right direction with their pitching. Cheap young controllable starters. 

14 minutes ago, rafibomb said:

My guess is a lot of people were complaining how Mayfield is still on this team over Taylor Ward when Ward was sent down while Mayfield went on to have an amazing series with the bat and glove.

Oh....ok,

Mayfiekd has shut up a lot of his critics.   But don't how  understand Ward is "nothing special " comment was necessary to illustrate that Mayfield is playing well.

I think the commentary that "Mayfield is giving AW the finger" sufficed

5 minutes ago, aznhockeyguy said:

Most people here want the Angels to sell.

I say sell everyone minus Cobb.  Trade Raisel and Heaney for whatever you can get back for them and redo the entire bullpen for next year.

1 minute ago, Angels 1961 said:

I hate long term deals of 150 to 250 million. Fletcher type deals are good and smart. Detmers and Chris Rod few years away from any extension. Rendon type deals are bad and very rarely pan out. I feel halos going in right direction with their pitching. Cheap young controllable starters. 

I am just poking some fun.  It wasn’t serious.

13 minutes ago, rafibomb said:

Barria's start today should be a message that the Angels can and should sell on the deadline and may end up better despite "selling". There are guys in the organization that aren't in the Majors that make this team better. Come the trade deadline on Friday Barria will be a regular in the rotation. 

I am betting Barria is traded.

I would absolutely still sell.  I would be looking to move guys that are not just on the roster now, but guys that are out of options going forward that are fringe guys, Barria and I would think Ward and Thais are just about out of options.