• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Extend Cobb?

Extend Cobb?   

51 members have voted

1. 1. Should we extend Cobb?

• Yes, 3+ years
    • Yes, 2 years
    • Yes, 1 year
    • No, trade him at the deadline
    • No, but don't trade him either
    • Try to work out an extension, if that doesn't work then trade him.

I think a 2 year extension is a safe play. Maybe 2+1 team option. He started out rough but he settled down and has been excellent. He seems a lot more stable than Bundy to me, for some reason. Would slot in nicely at the back end if we can make a play for another TOR arm. 

The big difference between Bundy and Cobb is that Cobb's success isn't the first success he's ever experienced in the major leagues, and it's built off of a very strong ground ball rate, which is typical first his career. 

Plus, Cobb is the pitching staff captain off the field. The guys really look to him in the clubhouse. Bundy definitely isn't a bad teammate, what he does in the weight room is great, but he isn't the staff leader. 

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

Depends on what you can get for him.  I put two year extension, but if I was offered the right prospect in return, then I would move him.  I honestly don’t think he will bring much back, because the return of rentals, even for dominant rentals, isn’t what it once was.  

This is mostly my view.  If someone is going to cough up a decent return for him I think you do trade him.  I voted trade him just because I think that’s the most ideal scenario.  Even tho I don’t think it’s the likeliest.  If they aren’t getting much back they might as well keep him for the rest of the season, see what happens and possibly consider retaining him.  I think a 2 year deal would be fine in that scenario. 

1 hour ago, gotbeer said:

Remember last year when more or less this same question was up for Bundy during the trade deadline.

3.96 ERA, 1.239 WHIP.  Near his 1.263 Career WHIP.  He's 33.  So at his age, and those numbers, that's a year to year deal type player.  If you can get something good for him, you trade him at the deadline.  

I keep thinking this 

If you can get an actual prospect back, trade him.

But the truth is we'll get another rengifo back at best. 

He's honestly been the most consistent starter this year.  Not only that but his peripherals show that he has been even better than his ERA.

Extend him and as long as Sandoval and Suarez keeps pitching well the starting rotation should be set for this year and next between Ohtani, Cobb, Sandoval, Suarez, Heaney, and Barria/CRod. 

And then Detmers taking Heaney's spot next year.

14 minutes ago, rageous said:

He's honestly been the most consistent starter this year.  Not only that but his peripherals show that he has been even better than his ERA.

Extend him and as long as Sandoval and Suarez keeps pitching well the starting rotation should be set for this year and next between Ohtani, Cobb, Sandoval, Suarez, Heaney, and Barria/CRod. 

And then Detmers taking Heaney's spot next year.

Don't want to see Heaney in an Angels' uniform next year...and Detmers, Suarez, Sandoval, Barria/Crod is too young/raw/inconsistent to slot all of them in there I think. I like Ohtani, Cobb, Sandoval, one of the mix of young arms, and trade/sign for a #2/#3 starter. We've got to get into the post season 

I really think the Angels have to look past these mediocre pitchers if they want to excel. We're creeping up on the 10-year mark of no playoffs. No offense to Cobb, but I'd like an established pitcher or two that we can really count on to join Suarez, Sandoval, and Ohtani. If Canning can't help, then we need outside help. The money that would go to Cobb can help shore up our relief, catching or be part of a bigger spend for someone better. 

I like Cobb a lot, and there is the option of trading him and then trying to resign him anyways (which wasn't listed or I would have traded him).  But, what another poster paraphrased above, Cobb will not get us to the promised land.  He is a solid #4 who is having a good year, but considering his injury history and up and down past, this success could literally turn on a dime.  If he has value and if we can pull a solid pitching prospect who projects as a #3 upside (floating around AA someplace), then I say we pull the trigger.  For me, we need as many pitching prospects as we can get.  I am fully on board trading away every asset we can this year for more talented close to MLB ready arms as we can get.  Because, as much as I am excited about Detmer, CRodriguez, and our new draft choices, we all know that every single one of them panning out is highly unlikely.  Just look how badly Canning has flamed out despite all this talent.  The reality is we need a lot more than what we currently have if we really want to compete.  And for me, this year is a loss.  I have to believe we can somehow muster 3 real quality starting pitching prospects (55 grades overall) by offering Adell, Iglesias (both of them), Cobb, Heaney, Bundy, and Adams to any combination of teams.   For me the biggest take away from this past draft was just how in shambles our minor league pitching situation is.  We can speculate all we want about taking 20 pitchers in 20 rounds (19 being from college).  But the biggest take away for me, was our minor league pitching situation is scary bad, so much so, our draft was historic just to try to rectify it.  

48 minutes ago, tchula said:

I like Cobb a lot, and there is the option of trading him and then trying to resign him anyways (which wasn't listed or I would have traded him).  But, what another poster paraphrased above, Cobb will not get us to the promised land.  He is a solid #4 who is having a good year, but considering his injury history and up and down past, this success could literally turn on a dime.  If he has value and if we can pull a solid pitching prospect who projects as a #3 upside (floating around AA someplace), then I say we pull the trigger.  For me, we need as many pitching prospects as we can get.  I am fully on board trading away every asset we can this year for more talented close to MLB ready arms as we can get.  Because, as much as I am excited about Detmer, CRodriguez, and our new draft choices, we all know that every single one of them panning out is highly unlikely.  Just look how badly Canning has flamed out despite all this talent.  The reality is we need a lot more than what we currently have if we really want to compete.  And for me, this year is a loss.  I have to believe we can somehow muster 3 real quality starting pitching prospects (55 grades overall) by offering Adell, Iglesias (both of them), Cobb, Heaney, Bundy, and Adams to any combination of teams.   For me the biggest take away from this past draft was just how in shambles our minor league pitching situation is.  We can speculate all we want about taking 20 pitchers in 20 rounds (19 being from college).  But the biggest take away for me, was our minor league pitching situation is scary bad, so much so, our draft was historic just to try to rectify it.  

Great post!  Hope you contribute more moving forward!