• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Gameday Thread: Mariners @ Angels (7/16/21): Heaney on the mound, Eaton in RF & batting 7th

3 hours ago, JustATroutFan said:

Correct. Fat Mike was lucky to be given some great players like Trout, Ohtani, and Vlad during his tenure with the club, not to mention a whole bunch of other really good players like Hunter, Pujols (2012 and 2014 but still overpaid), Figgins (as an everyday player), Weaver (a very good player, at worst, but had some superstar seasons as a starting pitcher), and K-Rod (once he became an All-Star) and he still didn't win jack with them. And unlike Maddon so far as Angels' manager, he had a bunch of solid pitching staffs and still came up small in the postseason, if he even got them there. Hell, even the 2002 Angels had a deep team. They might not have had a superstar player like Trout but they still had some really good players like Glaus, Salmon, and Anderson in the lineup, good arms like Washburn and Lackey leading the starting rotation, as well as a very, very deep bullpen. 

I am sorry but I hate it when people complain that Scioscia never "won a damn thing" after 2002.

Accept facts:

Red Sox were better than us when they beat us.  They had Manny, Ortiz Pedro Schilling, Papelbon etc.

Yankees beat us with better players as well. ARod Jeter Teix etc.

White Sox beat us with great starting pitching playing their best at the right time.

We had a great team and we dominated the the West.  However but we were not the best team in the AL.

54 minutes ago, stormngt said:

I am sorry but I hate it when people complain that Scioscia never "won a damn thing" after 2002.

Accept facts:

Red Sox were better than us when they beat us.  They had Manny, Ortiz Pedro Schilling, Papelbon etc.

White Sox beat us with great starting pitching playing their best at the right time.

We had a great team and we dominated the the West.  However but we were not the best team in the AL.

We also had some strange incidents. Guilen getting suspended and left off playoff team. GA getting pink eye. The Josh Paul "no catch" play. 

17 hours ago, rageous said:

They get absolutely zero from the likes of Mayfield and they pinch hit him with something like Wong who is just as bad.

Things will be better when Trout is back.

15 hours ago, fan_since79 said:

Just got back from the game. Club level section 322. Great seats, great crowd, nice comeback try. It hurt like hell when that ball was caught for the last out, but still an exciting 9th inning.

Bundy needs to be DFA immediately. He killed us tonight. Heaney needs to go too. 

By the way, no cash is accepted at the stadium. Credit cards only for parking and all concessions. No more cheap beer. Minimum $10.50 a cup of draft, $15 for premium. 

Good thing I live in Atlanta.

Edited by Revad

31 minutes ago, nando714 said:

Sosh was good? He held the organization back nearly 7 seasons  

I wouldn't give him as much blame as I would with the Angels' front office. Just poor scouting and bad free agent signings like with Hamilton and Wilson. Of course, Scioscia was part of the problem. He kept on putting Pujols at cleanup even though he wasn't the best option later down the road. Another reason to blame him was that he stopped playing small ball. There were seasons were Trout wasn't stealing bases even though we all know that Trout is at his best when he's showing off his all-around skills. There's no way that a guy like Trout should have less than 18-20 steals a season with his speed, no way! Maddon's not perfect but he's done a solid job considering the circumstances, especially with the lousy pitching staff. If there is one good thing that comes to mind about Maddon, he's the one guy who is pretty good, although not perfect, at getting the best out of his players, either in the lineup (Upton hitting leadoff, for example) or shifting his defenders around to help pitchers. He's actually changed the game due to shifting. He was really the first manager to consistently used the shifts. A lot of skippers have followed suit. 

31 minutes ago, JustATroutFan said:

I wouldn't give him as much blame as I would with the Angels' front office. Just poor scouting and bad free agent signings like with Hamilton and Wilson. Of course, Scioscia was part of the problem. He kept on putting Pujols at cleanup even though he wasn't the best option later down the road. Another reason to blame him was that he stopped playing small ball. There were seasons were Trout wasn't stealing bases even though we all know that Trout is at his best when he's showing off his all-around skills. There's no way that a guy like Trout should have less than 18-20 steals a season with his speed, no way! Maddon's not perfect but he's done a solid job considering the circumstances, especially with the lousy pitching staff. If there is one good thing that comes to mind about Maddon, he's the one guy who is pretty good, although not perfect, at getting the best out of his players, either in the lineup (Upton hitting leadoff, for example) or shifting his defenders around to help pitchers. He's actually changed the game due to shifting. He was really the first manager to consistently used the shifts. A lot of skippers have followed suit. 

It was Scioscia who had his entire starting pitching staff go down with tommy john.

Fact is Scioscia no longer had a team conducive to small ball.  He no longer had a team that could run.  It is obvious Trout stop stealing to for his protection.  Outside of Trout there was no one in the lineup worth a damn.

2 hours ago, stormngt said:

Accept facts:

Would be ecstatic it if they just got back to the ALCS, which they did three times under Sosh from 2002-2009.

8 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Would be ecstatic it if they just got back to the ALCS, which they did three times under Sosh from 2002-2009.

I was always a fan of Scioscia but I think Managers get too much blame for bad teams and too much credit for good teams. Sure, Managers matter and are often the tipping point but those teams in the 2000's were built by Bill Stoneman and Bill Bavasi and Donny Rowland and Bob Fontaine Jr.