• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels Trade Deadline Predictions

9 minutes ago, wopphil said:

This team has a $200 million dollar payroll, the two best players in baseball, and a new GM who is likely anxious to prove himself. Unless they bomb the next few weeks, they aren’t selling. And they shouldn’t sell - there is enough talent on the team to get to the playoffs.

I would love to see a trade for Marquez or Berrios, as well as a good relief arm. That, combined with Trout coming back (as well as hopefully Upton and Rendon), and this team could be quite good. 

I agree.  The #1 goal by far right now is to hunt down a controllable high quality starting pitcher.

If the Angels can get one, they very well could make a run this year.  But even if they don’t make a run this year, it is exactly what they need for next year anyway.

If the Angels can land the high quality controllable starter they need, I don’t really have a problem with them also trading away a starter that is inferior to the one they acquire for a prospect. . . especially if with the acquisition there really isn’t room for that starter in the rotation here anyway.

3 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

You traded Trout last month.  

You are right I did. Few teams could afford his contract plus return would be minimal. Trout is needed in lineup to protect Ohtani. I'm against long term deals. I hope Rendon returns to form but his 38 mill next 5 years could hurt.I think if halos had that money to spend this off season plus Pujols money gone. Trout's window getting shorter.A healthy Trout, Rendon and Upton with rest of lineup best in baseball.

2 hours ago, Angels 1961 said:

You are right I did. Few teams could afford his contract plus return would be minimal. Trout is needed in lineup to protect Ohtani. I'm against long term deals. I hope Rendon returns to form but his 38 mill next 5 years could hurt.I think if halos had that money to spend this off season plus Pujols money gone. Trout's window getting shorter.A healthy Trout, Rendon and Upton with rest of lineup best in baseball.

I want to make sure I understand your point.  If the Angels didn’t have the expensive long term deals you hate, just imagine what a great position they would be in this next offseason with all that cash. . . . to what, sign some expensive long term deals you hate?

3 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

I agree.  The #1 goal by far right now is to hunt down a controllable high quality starting pitcher.

If the Angels can get one, they very well could make a run this year.  But even if they don’t make a run this year, it is exactly what they need for next year anyway.

If the Angels can land the high quality controllable starter they need, I don’t really have a problem with them also trading away a starter that is inferior to the one they acquire for a prospect. . . especially if with the acquisition there really isn’t room for that starter in the rotation here anyway.

Having traded with the Reds for Iglesias, maybe Castillo is the best target? Controllable through 2023

After a 7.22 ERA through May in 52.1 innings that included 9 HRs, he’s pitched 45 innings (6.1 per start) with a 2.00 ERA and 0.95 WHIP plus only 2 HRs allowed.

Edited by Angel Oracle

2 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Having traded with the Reds for Iglesias, maybe Castillo is the best target?   

He's struggled, and the Reds are currently in contention for a playoff spot. I don't see this happening unless it improves both for the short term and long term. I could see Wade Miley, as they have a lot of young pitching depth, but Castillo was there ace prior to 2021.

10 minutes ago, Hubs said:

He's struggled, and the Reds are currently in contention for a playoff spot. I don't see this happening unless it improves both for the short term and long term. I could see Wade Miley, as they have a lot of young pitching depth, but Castillo was there ace prior to 2021.

Reds are currently 7 in back of the Brewers and 5.5 in back of the Padres for the 2nd WC.   Of course, need to see where they are 2-3 weeks from now.

I was going to post that if they included Castellanos without sending any of the nearly $38 million due him through 2023, it could lessen what the Halos send to the Reds.  Plus he’s a RF since 2018, so if the Reds wanted Marsh as the centerpiece, the deal works.

Only one big problem, Castellanos has an opt out after this season, and based on his 2021 season to date, he’s definately an opt out candidate.

So, no to that idea

Edited by Angel Oracle

6 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Reds are currently 7 in back of the Brewers and 5.5 in back of the Padres for the 2nd WC.   Of course, need to see where they are 2-3 weeks from now.

I was going to post that if they included Castellanos without sending any of the nearly $38 million due him through 2023, it could lessen what the Halos send to the Reds.

Only one big problem, Castellanos has an opt out after this season, and based on his 2021 season to date, he’s definately an opt out candidate.

Right, they're in second though, and could conceivably win that division with a strong second half. So trading a starter or also one of their all-star OF in season doesn't seem to be likely. If they slump over the next 3 weeks, sure, ok. Cincinnati usually does it's trading in the offseason.

I'd look at teams that are currently 7-10+ games under .500 as the most likely sellers, and then teams like the Cubs who are 1-9 in their last 10.

These teams include the Orioles, Tigers, Twins, Royals, Rangers, Marlins, Pirates, Rockies and D'Backs.

So with the Angels allowing 5.24 runs per game, we probably focus on pitching, but Outfield defense (mainly in RF) could be an add too.

2 minutes ago, Hubs said:

Right, they're in second though, and could conceivably win that division with a strong second half. So trading a starter or also one of their all-star OF in season doesn't seem to be likely. If they slump over the next 3 weeks, sure, ok. Cincinnati usually does it's trading in the offseason.

I'd look at teams that are currently 7-10 games under .500 as the most likely sellers, and then teams like the Cubs who are 1-9 in their last 10.

They can keep him and trade him in off season

Wade Miley is solid so far, but is a FA, so no rentals.

Agree that someone like the Cubs could come into play.

But the Halos already have Iglesias plus Kimbrel is a FA.

The only starting pitcher that is doable is Hendricks (FA after 2023).

Edited by Angel Oracle

1 minute ago, Angel Oracle said:

Wade Miley is solid so far, but is a FA, so no rentals.

Agree that someone like the Cubs could come into play.

Miley has a $10M Team Option for 2022.

32 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

I want to make sure I understand your point.  If the Angels didn’t have the expensive long term deals you hate, just imagine what a great position they would be in this next offseason with all that cash. . . . to what, sign some expensive long term deals you hate?

No use your money wisely shorter term deals. Stay away from 6, 7, 8 year deals which in long run most turn out bad. Brad Hand could have got him for 10 mill on 1 year deal after Cleveland let him go. Trade for players, halos got closer and SS in trades last year. I would sign Raisel now at 3 years for 30 to 36 mill. Angels been at lux tax last 6 seasons 5 have been losing season. This year we will see. Would you want Rendon for 5 more years at 38 mill.

3 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

No use your money wisely shorter term deals. Stay away from 6, 7, 8 year deals which in long run most turn out bad. Brad Hand could have got him for 10 mill on 1 year deal after Cleveland let him go. Trade for players, halos got closer and SS in trades last year. I would sign Raisel now at 3 years for 30 to 36 mill. Angels been at lux tax last 6 seasons 5 have been losing season. This year we will see. Would you want Rendon for 5 more years at 38 mill.

I don’t care how much players make.  I want to have a roster that contends for the WS.

In that context, I am perfectly satisfied that the Angels have Rendon.

Injuries have stalled him.  But I view third base as taken care of right now.

Just hope he gets healthy.

6 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

I don’t care how much players make.  I want to have a roster that contends for the WS.

In that context, I am perfectly satisfied that the Angels have Rendon.

Injuries have stalled him.  But I view third base as taken care of right now.

Just hope he gets healthy.

I do not care neither but on Moreno's budget if so much spent on a player,  limits what halos can do. Tampa contends with low budget. 

There is absolutely no way they sell. They are already now under greater pressure, more than the usual "Wasting Trout's prime" criticism. Now, they have the presumptive AL MVP (a different one), the baseball world's attention, and cannot afford to sell. It doesn't matter how close to the playoff contention line they are. I see people arguing about 4 games, 6 games, 8 games...it doesn't matter. Arte knows if he sells when the team is hovering around .500, Trout is coming back, and Ohtani is setting the world on fire he will be put at the top of the "Worst Owners in Sports" list. He is egotistical enough to care about THAT, even if he isn't truly invested in building a successful franchise. 

Most likely they try to swing a deal for a mid-rotation arm to replace Bundy and Quintana, or buy a reliever (Chafin?). I do think they would send out top talent for a guy like Berrios, Castillo, or Hendricks. 

1 hour ago, OhtaniSan said:

Cubs are reportedly going to be sellers. I could see a trade for Kyle Hendricks as a possibility. I can't envision him costing all that much prospect wise

Are you crazy? He is signed for the next 3 years at a great price. First cubs will not trade him and it would cost plenty. starting with Adell and other prospects. 

Hendricks is showing some signs of decline. He's gotten by with a very low spin rate. He'll also be 32 next year, so that sounds about right.

I'd definitely take him at that cost for the next 2 years, but I think Chicago will want too much in return.

If the Angels are going all-in, they should target Marquez. He will cost a fuckload but if they could somehow hang onto Marsh, Detmers and C-Rod then you do it. But I doubt that would be the case.

Then again, the Rockies GM situation is a complete mess right now.

1 minute ago, tdawg87 said:

Hendricks is showing some signs of decline. He's gotten by with a very low spin rate. He'll also be 32 next year, so that sounds about right.

I'd definitely take him at that cost for the next 2 years, but I think Chicago will want too much in return.

If the Angels are going all-in, they should target Marquez. He will cost a fuckload but if they could somehow hang onto Marsh, Detmers and C-Rod then you do it. But I doubt that would be the case.

Would like Elias Diaz to come with him if we get Marquez.

22 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

I wouldn't mind Marquez! Bud Black has already stated he is untouchable though....

Actually, Jon Gray may be the better target cost wise from the Rockies! Maybe, add in a Mychal Givens.

I wouldn't mind Hendricks either! I just don't see us wanting to hand out the prospect capital unless they included Contreras/Kimbrel.

Some other possibilities:

1. Twins - Berrios, JA Happ, Pineda, Maeda.

2. Braves - Morton, Fried, Smyly, Jackson, AJ Minter

3. Marlins - Pablo Lopez

4. Surprise Moved if the Cards fall out in the next 2 weeks- Adam Wainwright

There are still a lot of teams floating around. 

35 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

Bud Black has said Marquez will not be traded