• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels Trade Deadline Predictions

There is a sleeper for late in July.

CRod

Over 3 AA starts, he’s gotten up to 60 pitches (4 innings) on July 6.   Figures to have two more starts in the next 2+ weeks as the trade deadline approaches.

In those 3 AA starts, 8 innings, 1.13 ERA, 1.13 WHIP, 11/2 Ks/BBs

Over 30.2 innings at all levels, ZERO HRs have been allowed.

Could he be ready to throw 90 pitches by the time a 6th MLB starter is next needed on July 27?

I’m starting to think that a rock solid late innings guy with multiple years control may be a more important July acquisition.

Edited by Angel Oracle

47 minutes ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

I wouldn't mind Marquez! Bud Black has already stated he is untouchable though....

Actually, Jon Gray may be the better target cost wise from the Rockies! Maybe, add in a Mychal Givens.

I wouldn't mind Hendricks either! I just don't see us wanting to hand out the prospect capital unless they included Contreras/Kimbrel.

Some other possibilities:

1. Twins - Berrios, JA Happ, Pineda, Maeda.

2. Braves - Morton, Fried, Smyly, Jackson, AJ Minter

3. Marlins - Pablo Lopez

4. Surprise Moved if the Cards fall out in the next 2 weeks- Adam Wainwright

There are still a lot of teams floating around. 

Jon Gray has a 4.58 career ERA away from Coors and is a free agent at the end of the season.  I don't see him as much of an upgrade over the options the Angels currently have.  Givens' FIP is 4.95 this season and he's also a free agent at the end of the year.

JA Happ has a 5.90 ERA/5.25 FIP.  Pineda has been mediocre this year, just came back from the DL, and is relatively expensive for a rental in terms of salary remaining.  Maeda has been very hittable this year.  He's signed for 2 years beyond this year for $6.25M, so I wouldn't be completely opposed to getting him as a low-cost option.  If he doesn't pan out, no big deal.

Pretty sure Morton doesn't want to come to the West Coast and is expensive for a rental.  The Braves aren't going to trade Max Fried. He's controllable for 3 more years.  Smyly isn't any better than options Angels already have and still has a lot of salary left for this year.   Minter has had some bad luck this year, but is generally pretty good and controllable for 3 years.  Sure, he'd be a good target--but the Braves aren't gonna just give him up for nothing.  Luke Jackson?  Eh. His ERA looks a little fluky and he hasn't done much until this year.

Pablo Lopez is 25, really good, and controllable for 3 more years.  He's exactly the type of player the Marlins should be keeping and building around. 

Berrios would be good, but again would probably cost a ton in a trade and is only controllable for next season before he's a free agent.

32 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

There is a sleeper for late in July.

CRod

Over 3 AA starts, he’s gotten up to 60 pitches (4 innings) on July 6.   Figures to have two more starts in the next 2+ weeks as the trade deadline approaches.

In those 3 AA starts, 8 innings, 1.13 ERA, 1.13 WHIP, 11/2 Ks/BBs

Over 30.2 innings at all levels, ZERO HRs have been allowed.

Could he be ready to throw 90 pitches by the time a 6th MLB starter is next needed on July 27?

I’m starting to think that a rock solid late innings guy with multiple years control may be a more important July acquisition.

Could he be a trade chip? I know, we’re not buyers but maybe a controllable guy in arbitration years?

1 hour ago, mmc said:

If people want rental starting pitching, why trade assets when we can get Porcello, Hamels, or Anibal Sanchez off the market for free?

I’m assuming the people who would want rentals feel just like the GMs that those rentals are better than free agents that are still free agents in July.

5 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I’m assuming the people who would want rentals feel just like the GMs that those rentals are better than free agents that are still free agents in July.

Is the difference between Jon Gray and Rick Porcello the difference between us making or missing the playoffs this year though?

7 minutes ago, mmc said:

Is the difference between Jon Gray and Rick Porcello the difference between us making or missing the playoffs this year though?

I have no idea.  But Porcello was awful last year and went unsigned this off season.  

Just now, Stradling said:

I have no idea.  But Porcello was awful last year and went unsigned this off season.  

Exactly. There is a reason these FAs are not on an MLB roster. No thank you as they have almost zero upside. 

3 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Extremely high BABIP (over .378), 4.38 xFIP, he's an upgrade over what we have and costs no assets.  I want controlled starters, but I'd much rather go this route than give up assets for rentals is all I'm saying

2 minutes ago, mmc said:

Extremely high BABIP (over .378), 4.38 xFIP, he's an upgrade over what we have and costs no assets.  I want controlled starters, but I'd much rather go this route than give up assets for rentals is all I'm saying

Also, it is probably time to talk about how shitty pitchers usually are when they take part of the season off and sign late.  

1 hour ago, mmc said:

So Jose Quintana?  Higher BaBip, lower xFIP.

1 minute ago, mmc said:

I’m not saying these guys are perfect, just that I would prefer that than giving up assets for rentals in what I feel is a lost season

You'll get no argument from me.  I'm still in sell mode. 

Controllable pitcher or sell.  I'd rather try the guys in AA in the pen than trade for rentals.

I'm guessing we are in the minority.

11 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

You'll get no argument from me.  I'm still in sell mode. 

Controllable pitcher or sell.  I'd rather try the guys in AA in the pen than trade for rentals.

I'm guessing we are in the minority.

Well, it's at least a 3-person minority.  🙂 I've been saying this same thing for weeks now.

3 minutes ago, Stradling said:

To me it depends on how the next couple of weeks go.  If we are within a game or two o the wild card and you can go get a rental starter and reliever without giving up much value, I probably do it.  Would you give up Alex Ramirez and Rengifo for Scherzer and an extension?  

I'm having an Old Fashioned.  Buy, mother fuckers.  Buy!!!!

10 minutes ago, Stradling said:

To me it depends on how the next couple of weeks go.  If we are within a game or two o the wild card and you can go get a rental starter and reliever without giving up much value, I probably do it.  Would you give up Alex Ramirez and Rengifo for Scherzer and an extension?  

That wouldn't be a rental.

4 hours ago, Stradling said:

Without an extension, definitely no

With an extension?   The Halos already have plenty of OF prospects, granted Ramirez is likely the best of the lower minors OF prospects.