• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Canning

Torridd

3 minutes ago, Torridd said:

What is your assessment of him? Is he still an up-and-comer? 

I had thought he was going to be a solid #2, perhaps even a #1. I no longer think that. But I still like him.

4 minutes ago, Torridd said:

Do you still think he will be a big part of the future rotation?

100%. He is under club control for another four seasons. If they kept giving Heaney chances, they damn sure better do that for Canning. 

7 minutes ago, Justin said:

I had thought he was going to be a solid #2, perhaps even a #1. I no longer think that. But I still like him.

100%. He is under club control for another four seasons. If they kept giving Heaney chances, they damn sure better do that for Canning. 

Do you think he's better than Heaney? 

57 minutes ago, Torridd said:

Do you think he's better than Heaney? 

Right now? I don't know. Probably not. 

But I believe that when Canning is in his last year of club control, he will have produced far more for the Angels than Heaney has.

48 minutes ago, Torridd said:

What is your assessment of him? Is he still an up-and-comer? Do you still think he will be a big part of the future rotation?

He's had 38 starts. It seems like he's been around for longer but he's 25 years old and still learning his art, so sure I think there's more to come. He had 4.35 FIP over his first 28 starts, and a 5.09 FIP over ten starts this year, so there's plenty of reason to be hopeful he will turn out as a solid piece, maybe even more than that if something really clicks for him. As a comparison, Heaney had a FIP of 5.00 through his first 29 starts. 

Canning is, as of right now, a perfectly solid #4 starter with 4 years of control left. 

He hasn't taken the step forward I hoped he would, but there's still time. 

He's not going to get much in return, unless there's a team out there who sees something in him the Angels don't.

He's worth more to the Angels. For now.

1 hour ago, tdawg87 said:

Canning is, as of right now, a perfectly solid #4 starter with 4 years of control left. 

He hasn't taken the step forward I hoped he would, but there's still time. 

He's not going to get much in return, unless there's a team out there who sees something in him the Angels don't.

He's worth more to the Angels. For now.

Yep. Cheap, solid starter with some upside. That's what the Angels want to trade for, not away.

Scouting reports generally pegged him as a future #3-4 starter, while homer Angels fans were saying #1-3. I think at this point a solid #3 is about the most we can hope for - I just don't see anything better than that. But still, that's a valuable player, especially while cost-controlled.

14 minutes ago, Rollinghard said:

Canning is Richards. A MLB Pitcher that could/should be great (ok, much better) but lacks bulldoginess. I hope he finds his inner killer spirit soon. If not he will make a lot of money stuck in his mediocracy.

this is not even remotely correct.  Maybe about richards but not Canning.  Canning is absolutely a bulldog.  Richards had better stuff.  Better than anyone and almost too good.  So much movement he had no idea what to do with it.  Richards was unhittable on an average day.  Canning needs to pitch better.  

To me, the biggest thing holding back Canning is command.  He has control.  He can throw strikes with 4 pitches.  They don't always go where he wants.  It's not unusual for a guy who's 25 or even for most pitchers who eventually end up staying in that 3-4 range.  He still has time to get that command.  That next level.  He might not and he'll end up solid but not great.  He's got the demeanor and stuff to be great.  He's also got the potential in his delivery to throw it where he wants but as we've seen, it's not that easy.  So he probably has a couple three really good seasons in him and then otherwise ends up being average.  I think there's more there but most guy don't find it.  

Richards best comp IMO will always be Rich Harden. Canning is just every guy with above average stuff that can put it all together sometimes, but not consistently. Some guys eventually figure out how to get that consistency and have really good careers. Some guys don’t figure it out, have a decent but shorter career and wash out around 30 with several million dollars in the bank and a hot AF wife.