• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Mariano Rivera Day

m0nkey

I see this as an MLB-wide 'problem.'  I'm tired of ceremonies for this; ceremonies for that.  Just put your head down and play the damn game.  Not everything has to be a celebration, a recognition, a wank.  If there's really a need for it, do all the pre-game jerk sessions in Boston where they seem to have a 45 minute pre-game ceremony for anything and everything including crossing the f'ing street.

Maybe it's generational, but I was raised in a way where if you're playing a sport, you do whatever you can to beat the opponent (without cheating, of course).  You don't make small talk, you don't even really recognize them.  Just shut up, put your head down and win.

Furthermore, I don't like honoring a player who was responsible for beating the Angels.  I don't like honoring a player who was paid millions for being good at his job.  The MLB and its clubs need to get over this crap-ola.

That's what makes it real weird.  We battled Rivera and the Yankees in the playoffs just 3 and a half years ago.

Yay.  To celebrate Fathers day, come bring dad to angels stadium so he could get this.  

rivera_certificate_promo_50x50.jpg A Mario Rivera Commemorative Certificate.  Given to all fans while supplies last.  

I'm glad I'm not going Sunday because I would have chucked that thing out on the field.

Seriously - if anyone goes and gets one they would like to part with, I would like to have it. The wife is a Yankee fan, and we won't be able to make the series this weekend.

I have tix for Sunday but I haven't heard back from "my people" to confirm they want to go. I should call or email them I suppose, otherwise I was thinking Ticket Exchange.

It has become somewhat common to recognize some great players from visiting teams when the player is going to retire.   Even rivals have done it.  I don't care to be handed a worthless Mariano Rivera keepsake at the game, though.  Not sure what the point is.  It isn't gonna sell any tickets.  Give him a rocking chair and tell him how happy you are that he is retiring.  

Are none of you old enough to remember the Kareem Abdul jabber farewell tour? Teams gave him a boatload of gifts when he played his last game at their arena, from motorcycles to original artwork. Johnny Bench had this done for him as well, though not quite as elaborately.

I don't really have an issue with a team saying farewell to one of the all time greats on his last trip to town.

Are none of you old enough to remember the Kareem Abdul jabber farewell tour? Teams gave him a boatload of gifts when he played his last game at their arena, from motorcycles to original artwork. Johnny Bench had this done for him as well, though not quite as elaborately.

I don't really have an issue with a team saying farewell to one of the all time greats on his last trip to town.

I well remember it. I think the Celtics gave him a Harley, or was it one of Red's chewed up cigars golden plated?

I remember getting a Ripken certificate at his last Angel Stadium game in 2001.  We lost 1-0 that game, I recall Tim Salmon getting thrown out at home trying to tag up.  It just feels weird that it's for a Yankee.  I respect Rivera and all of his accomplishments, but still.

I give you credit for accurately recalling the details of that game!  About 90% of the time when people post stuff like that, their memory is faulty; yours appears to be spot on:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/ANA/ANA200107290.shtml

Angels lost 1-0, and this is the play-by-play of the bottom of the 2nd inning:

b2 0-0 0 --- 4,(1-2)  O ANA S. Spiezio J. Mercedes 2% 47% Strikeout Looking b2 0-0 1 --- 7,(3-2)    ANA T. Salmon J. Mercedes -3% 45% Walk b2 0-0 1 1-- 1,(0-0)    ANA S. Wooten J. Mercedes -6% 38% Single (Line Drive to Short LF-CF); Salmon to 3B b2 0-0 1 1-3 5,(2-2)  OO ANA B. Molina J. Mercedes 12% 50% Fly Ball Double Play: CF-C                   0 runs, 1 hit, 0 errors, 1 LOB. Orioles 0, Angels 0.

[yikes--sorry for the bad formatting.  Not sure what happened...]

I don't have a problem with it. Mariano has been a great ambassador for the game, and will be a shoo-in first ballot Hall of Famer. Even my wife, who is a Red Sox fan, has a lot of respect for Mo, because he is a classy individual and has never disrespected himself or the game.

Besides, isn't there already a Yankee fan majority whenever they're in town?

Mariano spends about 15 minutes to speak with FANS of the home team. He was also asked to throw out the first pitch when facing the Mets in Citi Field. I find it laughable that fans are getting pissy over a trading card giveaway. They aren't honoring a just a Yankee, but one of the greatest pitchers of our generation.

Why doesn't this organization learn that fans don't want to celebrate the accomplishments of other players on other teams because their success and the mention of the Yankees dynasty gets shoved down our throats enough as it is?

Its like salt in the wound.

So stupid.

This org. is just pandering to the fans who will actually buy tickets and show up on Sunday.

After being a fan of this team for 47 years, I'm tired of doing things for other teams. 

This isn't the 1970's, when a much newer franchise needed to grow a fanbase. 

Of course, at the rate the fanbase is shrinking at the games, we'll be back to the 1970s in actual attendance before we know it.