• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

大谷翔平 - The Official Shohei Ohtani Thread

I'm watching a 2013 ESPN Outside The Lines piece talking about Japanese baseball and how pitchers... well. .  Were abused.  A guy... high schooler... threw the equivalent of 50 innings in a week.  750 plus pitches.   

I'm wondering  how Ohtani was handled in high school and if/how things have changed since.  

Anyone have any idea?

4 hours ago, ScottT said:

I'm watching a 2013 ESPN Outside The Lines piece talking about Japanese baseball and how pitchers... well. .  Were abused.  A guy... high schooler... threw the equivalent of 50 innings in a week.  750 plus pitches.   

I'm wondering  how Ohtani was handled in high school and if/how things have changed since.  

Anyone have any idea?

In November 2019, the rules of the Japan High School Baseball Federation, which manages high school baseball, changed.
The outline is as follows:

1. During the tournament games hosted by the Federation, the total number of pitches that one pitcher can throw in a week is 500 or less.
  2.  Set a schedule to avoid three consecutive games in the same tournament. However, it is unavoidable if the schedule is changed due to rain.
  3. Instruct member high schools of the Federation to utilize the health questionnaire of the players.
  4. Consideration should be given not to over-practice, such as introducing a complete rest day of at least one day per week.
  5.  Actively train multiple pitchers and work on appointing multiple pitchers at various occasions such as practice games.
  6. Allow intentional-walk.

The National High School Baseball Championship in Japan is held twice in spring and summer. In 2020, the national tournament was canceled due to the Covid-19 epidemic and resumed in 2021.

I mentioned a little about Ohtani-san when he was a high school student in the post on July 27th.

I still can’t believe the dude has only walked six batters since 7/1, last 52 innings. 

It is crazy how he’s evolved on the mound. The big strikeout numbers and games were fun, but this new version of Ohtani that sort of pitches to contact more and walks less, gets deeper into games (and enabling more at-bats) with less stressful innings has been quite a change to watch. 

I really think what he’s doing might be sustainable at least for the short-term. I wouldn’t be surprised if his hitting evolved and HR went down and BA/walks went up in next few seasons too. He seems to truly be constantly tinkering in a way to stay fresh and balanced and improving, recognizing what parts of his game are taxing and lessening that impact. 

He’s unreal.

Edited by totdprods

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

I still can’t believe the dude has only walked six batters since 7/1, last 52 innings. 

It is crazy how he’s evolved on the mound. The big strikeout numbers and games were fun, but this new version of Ohtani that sort of pitches to contact more and walks less, gets deeper into games (and enabling more at-bats) with less stressful innings has been quite a change to watch. 

I really think what he’s doing might be sustainable at least for the short-term. I wouldn’t be surprised if his hitting evolved and HR went down and BA/walks went up in next few seasons too. He seems to truly be constantly tinkering in a way to stay fresh and balanced and improving, recognizing what parts of his game are taxing and lessening that impact. 

He’s unreal.

I know I’ve said this before.

His pitching the past two month reminds me of Verlander in his prime.

Waiting until the later innings to dial it up, pitches 115-117 last night were all 99mph

It’s like something clicked after the bad NY start.

Through June:

60 innings: 3.60 ERA, 1.27 WHIP, 5 innings per start

Since July:

52 innings: 2.25 ERA, 0.85 WHIP, 6.5 innings per start

Edited by Angel Oracle

10 hours ago, totdprods said:

He seems to truly be constantly tinkering in a way to stay fresh and balanced and improving, recognizing what parts of his game are taxing and lessening that impact. 

On August 19, Japanese baseball commentator Kazuhiro Sasaki (Mariners 2000–2003) pointed out that the take back of Ohtani's pitching form has become smaller. This modified form might give him better control and less strain on his body.

People... random fans of other teams that I run into... are talking... about Ohtani going elsewhere. 

I try to kindly... mention he could have signed with anyone... he could have waited and broke the bank.  He could just like where he is like another superstar.

Also... the Angels make more off Japanese advertising right now than they pay him... by far.  

Doubt he's going anywhere. 

Hell... there's fan clubs making a living off him

On 9/4/2021 at 4:54 PM, ScottT said:

Ohtani-san has only pitched twice in the National High School Baseball Championship Japan.
Both times, his team lost the games in the first round of the tournament.

His 2nd grade in 2011 Summer Championship 
5.2 IP, 1 ER

In the summer of 2011, he suffered a hip joint epiphyseal injury, which prevented him from practicing as a pitcher in the following fall and winter. During this period, he did not participate in official games as a pitcher.

His 3rd grade in 2012 Spring Championship
8.2 IP,  5 ER

Reference:
"Sports Album No.47 Shohei Ohtani" 
Baseball Magazine, Inc.   ISBN 978-4-583-62055-8
Published on November 11*, 2013.  Printed in Japan

(*, 11 was Ohtani-san's uniform number during the Nippon-Ham era.)