• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

大谷翔平 - The Official Shohei Ohtani Thread

13 hours ago, WicketMaiden said:

Shohei is so close to breaking through another WAR barrier, I hope he gets another start on the mound... or a final six games smashing homers.

8.9 bWAR (Vlad Jr has 6.7)

7.9 fWAR (Vlad Jr has 6.6) 

If he doesn't win the MVP it will make an absolute travesty of the award.

But, but... he doesn't play a position (pitcher isn't a position?).... but but the Angels are nowhere with him, how can he have value to his team..... but but but.... it's just hype....    

I think there's a good chance he's gonna get every first place vote.   

You see the comments that make if seem like most think he shouldnt be, but you see the polls that are 2/3 in favor of Ohtani...   the writers that vote for this award... i questioned the writers 10 years ago.....  actually 9 years ago when Trout got snubbed....   but things have changed and this is gonna be a cakewalk, a landslide, and a celebration of one of the most amazing seasons from one man that anyone has ever seen.   I've personally seen about half of his starts and 30+ games in person.  I'd prefer if the Angels had won more of those game and were preparing for the playoffs, but I will never forget this season.   I will tell people for years how I was bombarded for interviews by Japanese TV in multiple cities... simply because I was wearing that wacky Ohtani shirt.  I will tell people that, while standing behind home plate in Oakland during his start....   with that shirt on...   that he gave me a head nod when he disappeared into the tunnel between innings.  I may even tell people about when I ran into @Jeff Fletcher  on 16th St in Denver after the home run derby and he ran away when I mentioned AngelsWin.   

Shohei Ohtani got the attention he deserved before and after the All Star break.  Since, I've noticed a lot of nonsense.  But that's the world we live in, I guess.   I cannot understand how anyone does anything but love on the man and marvel at what he's done.  

11 hours ago, ScottT said:

But, but... he doesn't play a position (pitcher isn't a position?).... but but the Angels are nowhere with him, how can he have value to his team..... but but but.... it's just hype....    

I think there's a good chance he's gonna get every first place vote.   

You see the comments that make if seem like most think he shouldnt be, but you see the polls that are 2/3 in favor of Ohtani...   the writers that vote for this award... i questioned the writers 10 years ago.....  actually 9 years ago when Trout got snubbed....   but things have changed and this is gonna be a cakewalk, a landslide, and a celebration of one of the most amazing seasons from one man that anyone has ever seen.   I've personally seen about half of his starts and 30+ games in person.  I'd prefer if the Angels had won more of those game and were preparing for the playoffs, but I will never forget this season.   I will tell people for years how I was bombarded for interviews by Japanese TV in multiple cities... simply because I was wearing that wacky Ohtani shirt.  I will tell people that, while standing behind home plate in Oakland during his start....   with that shirt on...   that he gave me a head nod when he disappeared into the tunnel between innings.  I may even tell people about when I ran into @Jeff Fletcher  on 16th St in Denver after the home run derby and he ran away when I mentioned AngelsWin.   

Shohei Ohtani got the attention he deserved before and after the All Star break.  Since, I've noticed a lot of nonsense.  But that's the world we live in, I guess.   I cannot understand how anyone does anything but love on the man and marvel at what he's done.  

6 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Jeff Fletcher, running into AW

Danny-Torrance-The-Shining-King.jpg

Thegradytwins.jpg

@Jeff Fletcher is always gracious with his time here and in person with myself and others from AW. 

On 7/23/2021 at 2:26 AM, jsnpritchett said:

Ohtani-san finished 2021 season as a pitcher.

Plastic document folder (2015) about $4.

ohtani1-400.thumb.jpg.0231d0dfc6391067ae507a55ac5c1199.jpg

ohtani2-400r.jpg.bcf959c57bc1e0f3d38454e29898ff30.jpg

He finished 2015 season 15–5 with a 2.24 ERA. 15 wins was also his initial goal in 2021 season.

Considering this ground-breaking, record-setting, highly entertaining and truly quite amazing season from Shohei, how is this thread only 25 pages long? 

EDIT: ok, maybe I'm being totally unrealistic considering the Troutstanding thread has only 2 pages more but is three years older. 

1 hour ago, WicketMaiden said:

After last night's fun Shohei has passed two more milestones and now has:

9.0 bWAR

8.0 fWAR

Really hope he tears into the Mariners and finishes the season with a few bangs.

I do too, @WicketMaiden. I don't really care if they win any of the games, I just want to see Ohtani bypass Vlad. Jr. in HR's, that would put him at another milestone in passing Mike Trout in HR's and bring him to 100 RBI. I'd also love to see him steal a few more bags and possibly get to 30 SB, and hit a triple or two to take the lead in that dept. (he's currently tied).

1 hour ago, Chuckster70 said:

I do too, @WicketMaiden. I don't really care if they win any of the games, I just want to see Ohtani bypass Vlad. Jr. in HR's, that would put him at another milestone in passing Mike Trout in HR's and bring him to 100 RBI. I'd also love to see him steal a few more bags and possibly get to 30 SB, and hit a triple or two to take the lead in that dept. (he's currently tied).

He strikes me as the kind of guy that gets a bit pissed and ups his game when faced with adversity, so having been told/agreed not to pitch again I hope he channels that into a bit of a tear. Possibly within reach: 30 doubles (he's on 26); 10 triples (he's on 8 so that's a stretch); 48 HR's to lead the league (45), 30 SB (26) the most achievable I think. Really hope he finishes well whatever happens, before the inevitable Post Ohtani Stress Disorder kicks in for the off-season.

1 hour ago, Chuckster70 said:

This is cool cartoon artwork. 

I like Marsh at lead-off. He's not a base-stealer but is surprisingly pacy around the bases, and with Ohtani batting 2nd you don't want a base-stealer in front of him opening up 1B anyway, so I think he's a good fit there next year. 

34 minutes ago, WicketMaiden said:

I like Marsh at lead-off. He's not a base-stealer but is surprisingly pacy around the bases, and with Ohtani batting 2nd you don't want a base-stealer in front of him opening up 1B anyway, so I think he's a good fit there next year. 

I like his career .371 minor league OBP and he does have some stolen bases in him (45 in 295 games in the minors). 

The problem is, you're probably not going to run him much if Ohtani is hitting behind him this season, but I can see that changing next season should he claim the leadoff spot out of spring training. 

We may see a lineup like...

LF Marsh

CF Trout

DH Ohtani

3B Rendon

1B Walsh

SS (Free agent SS?)

RF Adell

C  Stassi 

2B Fletcher

1 minute ago, Chuckster70 said:

I like his career .371 minor league OBP and he does have some stolen bases in him (45 in 295 games in the minors). 

The problem is, you're probably not going to run him much if Ohtani is hitting behind him this season, but I can see that changing next season should he claim the leadoff spot out of spring training. 

LF Marsh

CF Trout

DH Ohtani

3B Rendon

1B Walsh

SS (Free agent SS?)

RF Adell

C  Stassi 

2B Fletcher

Concur

One change:  move Adell and Stassi up a spot, and sign a decent SS like Galvis and use the money on someone like Stroman and a late innings guy, and re-sign Iglesias and Cobb who want to be here.

26 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

LF Marsh

CF Trout

DH Ohtani

3B Rendon

1B Walsh

SS (Free agent SS?)

RF Adell

C  Stassi 

2B Fletcher

Put Adell at 6 and Stassi 7 and the SS bat can be a black hole so long as it comes with above average defence. I've been rooting for Rengifo to take it not because I think he's great, but because I think he might be competent enough to hold it down for a while and stop us spending a fortune on the position this off-season. With this line-up, we don't need another bat, we need defence and pitching and then more pitching.

EDIT: Haha, you beat me to it AO, pretty much saying the same things here. 

18 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Concur

One change:  move Adell and Stassi up a spot, and sign a decent SS like Galvis and use the money on someone like Stroman and a late innings guy, and re-sign Iglesias and Cobb who want to be here.

11 minutes ago, WicketMaiden said:

Put Adell at 6 and Stassi 7 and the SS bat can be a black hole so long as it comes with above average defence. I've been rooting for Rengifo to take it not because I think he's great, but because I think he might be competent enough to hold it down for a while and stop us spending a fortune on the position this off-season. With this line-up, we don't need another bat, we need defence and pitching and then more pitching.

EDIT: Haha, you beat me to it AO, pretty much saying the same things here. 

Or sign Marcus Semien who in his own right is a MVP candidate and lead off with him, then Ohtani second, Trout 3rd. 

I want the Angels to be better on defense, offense in addition to pitching. 

Semien may be too pricey, after his possible top 5 MVP voting season.

Stroman on a 3 year tops deal adds the much needed pitching durability with a #3 starter’s stuff.

Then hopefully no more longer contract FA starting pitchers will need to be signed with the depth being built on the farm.

Ohtani, Sandoval, Stroman, Cobb, Suarez, and either Barria, Detmers, or Junk 

Edited by Angel Oracle

Just now, Angel Oracle said:

Semien may be too pricey, after his possible top 5 MVP voting season.

Stroman on a 3 year tops deal adds the much needed pitching durability with a #3 starter’s stuff.

Then hopefully no more longer contract FA starting pitchers will need to be signed with the depth being built on the farm.

Semien will be pricey but because of his age he's not going to get the 5-10 year contracts that Seager, Correa and Story get. 

I'm having doubts about Fletcher being anything more than a utility only guy. If he has some trade value, I'm trading him this offseason.