• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

大谷翔平 - The Official Shohei Ohtani Thread

4 hours ago, WicketMaiden said:

WAR update.

Shohei leads all baseball in WAR by a clear margin and is pulling away from the pack by both measures:

6.6 bWAR (Wheeler 2nd with 5.2) - on pace for 10.8 bWAR for the season.

6.1 fWAR (DeGrom 2nd with 5.4) - on pace for 10.0 fWAR for the season. 

The man is simply incredible. Go Shohei! 

Ohtani-san's performance as a pitcher in Japan
He belonged to Nippon-Ham Fighters (2013-2017, Pacific League, NPB(Nippon Professional Baseball Organization))

Data from Wikipedia Japanese page

pitcher.jpg.e516fc0367ec303e5ff1cf25d5d15ccd.jpg

In 2015, Ohtani led the league in wins (W) and winning percentage (WPCT) with a 15–5 record in just 22 starts (GS), and his 2.24 ERA, 5 complete games (CG), and 3 shutouts (SHO) were also best in the league.
All these stats were career bests, as were his 196 strikeouts (K), 0.909 WHIP, and 11 strikeouts per nine innings.

Reference: Shohei Ohtani (Wikipedia)
Pacific League Pitcher Best Nine and ERA leader (2015)

2 hours ago, FromJapan said:

Ohtani-san's performance as a pitcher in Japan
He belonged to Nippon-Ham Fighters (2013-2017, Pacific League, NPB(Nippon Professional Baseball Organization))

Data from Wikipedia Japanese page

pitcher.jpg.e516fc0367ec303e5ff1cf25d5d15ccd.jpg

Ohtani led the league in wins (W) and winning percentage (WPCT) with a 15–5 record in just 22 starts (GS), and his 2.24 ERA, 5 complete games (CG), and 3 shutouts (SHO) were also best in the league.
All these stats were career bests, as were his 196 strikeouts (K), 0.909 WHIP, and 11 strikeouts per nine innings.

Reference: Shohei Ohtani (Wikipedia)
Pacific League Pitcher Best Nine and ERA leader (2015)

@FromJapan sometimes you call him Ohtani, sometimes you say Ohtani-san. What is the difference? Thankyou.

Great posts by the way. 

29 minutes ago, WicketMaiden said:

@FromJapan sometimes you call him Ohtani, sometimes you say Ohtani-san. What is the difference? Thankyou.

Great posts by the way. 

I think one is referring to Ohtani the pitcher, the other the hitter.

San means "good pitcher". Thats why theres no "heaney-san", "bundy-san" etc.

On 7/28/2021 at 10:17 PM, WicketMaiden said:

Great posts by the way. 

When Japanese press interviewers talk to professional baseball players, they often add "senshu" after their surname  in stead of "san".
e.g. "Ohtani senshu"
"Senshu" means "player", in Japanese.

In Japanese sports articles and online forums, it is customary not to add "san" or "senshu" to prevent redundancy.  When I quote the articles or the posting on the online forums, I usually use "Ohtani" as it is according to the way the article is written.

When I write my own original text, I add "san" to give a little politeness.

In Japan, we use a combination of surname and job title when talking to someone who is not so personally familiar.  If we don't know the job title, we use combination of surname and "san".

e.g. "Clayton sensei"  ("Sensei" means "teacher")   "Clayton san" 
e.g. "Wilson shicho" ("Shicho" means "mayor")   "Wilson san"

ohtani4-400.jpg.0255b6a1f1bca6b67c2be20fc3ca2eab.jpg

A poster of the pre-season match on March 11, 2017.
"Ohtani-san" agreed to a deal with the Angels on December 9, 2017.

...and Shohei smashes through the 7 War barrier after last night's laser home run. 

7.0 bWAR - now on pace for 11.2 for the season; leads 2nd place Wheeler by 1.7 WAR

6.4 fWAR - on pace for 10.3 for the season; leads 2nd place deGrom by 1.0 WAR

The only players to achieve 11 bWAR in the last 30 years are Barry Bonds, Pedro Martinez, Roger Clemens and Cal Ripkin jr. Bonds was the most recent in 2002.

He's also having one of the best DH seasons in major league history, according to wRC+ (and presumably OPS+). 

Here's Fangraphs DH seasons by wRC+:

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=dh&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=y&type=8&season=2021&month=0&season1=1871&ind=1&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&startdate=1871-01-01&enddate=2021-12-31&sort=19,d

Manny Ramirez is first in 2002 with 185, but he played more games in the OF than DH. Edgar Martinez in 1995 with 182 wRC+ and 7.0 WAR is the best true DH season in major league history. Ohtani's at 179 wRC+ and 4.5 WAR as a hitter, so just a hair behind.

5 hours ago, WicketMaiden said:

...and Shohei smashes through the 7 War barrier after last night's laser home run. 

7.0 bWAR - now on pace for 11.2 for the season; leads 2nd place Wheeler by 1.7 WAR

6.4 fWAR - on pace for 10.3 for the season; leads 2nd place deGrom by 1.0 WAR

The only players to achieve 11 bWAR in the last 30 years are Barry Bonds, Pedro Martinez, Roger Clemens and Cal Ripkin jr. Bonds was the most recent in 2002.

Ugh, Wheeler and his family - we could've moved his family to CA 😉

Anyway, just wrt "smashes" - I was doing something in the kitchen last night when I heard Ohtani smash that homerun - it was a no-doubter, and I didn't even see it.  

The sound of the bat - it was a distinctive and as pungent Story's squelch-breaking "OOOWWWW!" the other night ...

One rbi short of having 2/3 of the triple crown, and of course BA is out of reach, but who cares.   OBP is solid.

Only .022 behind Vlad Jr. in OPS

4 for 24 post-ASB slump is but a distant memory.   8 for 18 since then, hitting .284 since the ASB

Edited by Angel Oracle

I still remember when we signed him, and I thought it was whatevs. Thought he was aort of gimmicky, and would be just an average hitter who could also pitch, average. And didnt think that was gonna do much to help the cause, since we so badly needed good pitching and a real bat to back up Trout.

Had no idea how good he was.

1 minute ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

I still remember when we signed him, and I thought it was whatevs. Thought he was aort of gimmicky, and would be just an average hitter who could also pitch, average. And didnt think that was gonna do much to help the cause, since we so badly needed good pitching and a real bat to back up Trout.

Had no idea how good he was.

"He's good, but that was in Japan."

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

One rbi short of having 2/3 of the triple crown, and of course BA is out of reach, but who cares.   OBP is solid.

Only .022 behind Vlad Jr. in OPS

4 for 24 post-ASB slump is but a distant memory.   8 for 18 since then, hitting .284 since the ASB

Vlad Jr, who is having a fantastic season by any standards, is only shading Shohei's OPS by hitting more singles. 

Doubles: Shohei 22 Vlad 19

Triples: Shohei 4 Vlad 1

HR: Shohei 37 Vlad 32

And comparing the 14 stolen bases to Vlad's 2, even if he didn't pitch and was just a DH, you'd have to say Shohei was the better of the two. 

I think Shohei could hit for a higher average at the exchange of a bit of power. Watching him last night, I was struck by how much he tries to hit the ball as hard as he can. He's all about the barrel. Kind of similar to Trout, but without Trout's eye and discipline, and Trout is also more prone to slash a single when he doesn't get the pitch he wants.

But I love the hitter Ohtani is, and for pure entertainment value I'd prefer .280/.367/.691 to .300/.380/.620. His average has been slowly creeping up, and I wouldn't be surprised if he finishes something like .290/.370/.680 with 50+ HR. Craziness.