• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Gameday Thread: Angels vs. Mariners (4-30-2021)

Chuck

8 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

Angels currently have the worst defensive efficiency in the majors (by a comfortable margin) and the 2nd worst fielding percentage.

Update: after last night's game, their team defensive efficiency is even lower and they're also now in last place in fielding percentage.

Edited by jsnpritchett

I have no idea how this team is even at .500.

If the offense goes into a slump, and it will, we're fucked. 

No team can score 8 runs every game. The run prevention so far has been worse than I could have possibly imagined, and I don't know how it will get better. 

I'm not trying to be negative but the writing is on the wall. The stats are there. Bad luck or not, the actual performance from the pitching staff and defense has been...is there an even worse word than "atrocious"? Catastrophic? 

We're not winning until this gets fixed, and I have no idea how it can be.

19 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Update: after last night's game, their team defense efficiency is even lower and they're also now in last place in fielding percentage.

Not to mention the pitching is the worst in all of baseball. 

1 hour ago, tdawg87 said:

I'm not trying to be negative but the writing is on the wall. The stats are there. Bad luck or not, the actual performance from the pitching staff and defense has been...is there an even worse word than "atrocious"? Catastrophic? 

We're not winning until this gets fixed, and I have no idea how it can be.

Abominable? Execrable? Cataclysmic? Take your pick, although 'atrocious' works just fine in this instance and certainly describes some of what we've seen.

1 hour ago, jsnpritchett said:

Update: after last night's game, their team defense efficiency is even lower and they're also now in last place in fielding percentage.

56 minutes ago, wopphil said:

Not to mention the pitching is the worst in all of baseball. 

Something tells me that poor defense combined with poor pitching is going to have an end result that we will not be happy with.  

14 minutes ago, WicketMaiden said:

Abominable? Execrable? Cataclysmic? Take your pick, although 'atrocious' works just fine in this instance and certainly describes some of what we've seen.

14 minutes ago, WicketMaiden said:

Total rebuild, 2022 will need 4 to 5 new starters plus bullpen 6 to 7.  Keep Walsh, Fletcher and Ohtani. Rendon contract would be hard to move so he will be at 3B. Very few players that could be traded to bring back anything of value. Bundy as starter if you do not resign him. Quintana and Cobb bring back nothing if they continue to pitch bad bring up Sandoval and Detmers see what they can do. Quintana and Cobb just holding growth of Sandoval and Detmers. Upton, Pujols and Iglesias no value. Pujols gone soon Upton with his contract would have to give him away and pay most of money owned. That leaves Trout and he will not be traded so looks like same for few years to come. To save this season Minasian needs to pull a rabbit out of his hat for a starter or 2. 

So with all of this talk about how bad the defense is, and with IP pointing out that most of it is positioning, if they fix the positioning as they collect the data, then we would be not just improving our defense, but also our pitching?  Granted we will still make errors, which when I look at this team I am surprised it is bad defensively, but simply not putting yourself at a disadvantage based on where you are positioned seems like an easy fix.

I don’t know if Walsh is a plus defender at 1st or below average, sample size is too small.  But Rendon, Iglesias and Fletcher are all plus defenders. Chill on all of the defensive shifts and let them play defense.  Imagine Bob Gibson inducing a ground ball that would have been fielded for an easy out that isn’t within 20 feet of an infielder.  That would be the last shift ever for him as a pitcher.  Pitchers need to speak up.  Cobb was visibly frustrated more than once so far this year on routine ground balls.

4 hours ago, Stradling said:

I don’t know if Walsh is a plus defender at 1st or below average, sample size is too small.  But Rendon, Iglesias and Fletcher are all plus defenders. Chill on all of the defensive shifts and let them play defense.  Imagine Bob Gibson inducing a ground ball that would have been fielded for an easy out that isn’t within 20 feet of an infielder.  That would be the last shift ever for him as a pitcher.  Pitchers need to speak up.  Cobb was visibly frustrated more than once so far this year on routine ground balls.

I detest the shift, which helps turn the game into one big Over The Line competition.

On 5/1/2021 at 9:51 AM, Stradling said:

No shit.  Now do Quintana and Cobb, who lose games when no ball is hit over 85 mph.  

Cobb and Quintana suck.

Defensive alignment shifts are not going to make enough of an impact to turn this staff into a competent one.