• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

This is not fair

The dodgers are a trip

I hate them. With all my soul. But dear god are they well run

We talk of player development, but what does that even mean? I cant imagine the dodgers run their minor league guys through different drills than other teams.

Having the money to sign guys like mookie is one thing. But the talent theyve produced is mindblowing.

And its crazy, because kershaw all the sudden looks like an ace again.

55 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

The dodgers are a trip

I hate them. With all my soul. But dear god are they well run

We talk of player development, but what does that even mean? I cant imagine the dodgers run their minor league guys through different drills than other teams.

Having the money to sign guys like mookie is one thing. But the talent theyve produced is mindblowing.

And its crazy, because kershaw all the sudden looks like an ace again.

The current owners invested hard into what was already a pretty big scouting department, then they went hard after analytics.

Yeah they spent a shit ton early on but that's precisely they thing to do.   They set themselves up for the long term.   Just an extremely well run organization that unlike ours sees the big picture

11 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

The current owners invested hard into what was already a pretty big scouting department, then they went hard after analytics.

Yeah they spent a shit ton early on but that's precisely they thing to do.   They set themselves up for the long term.   Just an extremely well run organization that unlike ours sees the big picture

their farm isn't that great anymore but they've got a ton of young players at the major league level and will spend their way through the rest.  

It will be interesting to see what they do with Kershaw, Seager, and Jansen after this year. As great as Kershaw has been--the best pitcher of the 2010s, even if he's fallen somewhat (although he seems to be bouncing back a bit this year)--they don't really "need" him and may not want to give him the 3/$90M or whatever he'll command. Seager seems to have reclaimed elite shortstop status and is still only 27, so he's a good candidate for an extension -- but that's another $25M+ a year. Jansen isn't the same pitcher that he was in his prime (2011-17), so will probably be let go of.

After 2022, there's Bauer, Price, and Pollock. Price and Pollock aren't big losses, but Bauer will be looking for a mega-contract.

And then after 2023 there's Bellinger, Urias, Turner, and Muncy. Bellinger and Urias will still be young and likely long-term keepers, but the other two will be gone.

Buehler's last club-controlled year is 2024 and then there's a gap with guys like Smith, May, and Gonsolin signed through 2026 (along with newcomers McKinistry and Lux, neither of whom have yet established themselves - although the former is off to a great start).

And then a massive gap to Betts signed through 2032. Crikey.

Anyhow, it would seem that the super team is only full present through this year, but a solid 100+ win plateau should be attainable for a few years after with mixed attrition. And of course they're always going to come up with surprise gems from all corners of the earth, or at least Latin America.

Edited by Angelsjunky

7 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

It will be interesting to see what they do with Kershaw, Seager, and Jansen after this year. As great as Kershaw has been--the best pitcher of the 2010s, even if he's fallen somewhat (although he seems to be bouncing back a bit this year)--they don't really "need" him and may not want to give him the 3/$90M or whatever he'll command. Seager seems to have reclaimed elite shortstop status and is still only 27, so he's a good candidate for an extension -- but that's another $25M+ a year. Jansen isn't the same pitcher that he was in his prime (2011-17), so will probably be let go of.

After 2022, there's Bauer, Price, and Pollock. Price and Pollock aren't big losses, but Bauer will be looking for a mega-contract.

And then after 2023 there's Bellinger, Urias, Turner, and Muncy. Bellinger and Urias will still be young and likely long-term keepers, but the other two will be gone.

Buehler's last club-controlled year is 2024 and then there's a gap with guys like Smith, May, and Gonsolin signed through 2026 (along with newcomers McKinistry and Lux, neither of whom have yet established themselves - although the former is off to a great start).

And then a massive gap to Betts signed through 2032. Crikey.

Anyhow, it would seem that the super team is only full present through this year, but a solid 100+ win plateau should be attainable for a few years after with mixed attrition. And of course they're always going to come up with surprise gems from all corners of the earth, or at least Latin America.

The thing that they seem to do fairly well is replace good but not elite players with good young players very seamlessly - that's the key to their success that I'd like to emulate.

They lost Hernandez and Pederson to free agency last year.  Granted that's not Seager/Bellinger/etc, but those were pretty core guys that played a ton of games for them and came up with a lot of key moments.  Pederson hit a ton of playoff HRs, Hernandez hit the game-tying HR for them against Atlanta in game 7, etc.  Now they have some dude named McKinstry, drafted in like the 30th+ round, who has come in and is doing the exact same thing Hernandez did.- hit well and play all sorts of positions on the field.

Their player development process is currently elite.  They draft and develop players incredibly well, and in turn let good players go as free agents while retaining their elite players (Betts, Kershaw, etc).  Bueherl is home grown and an ace, May looks great now, and they apparently have a good amount of young pitchers in the pipeline too.

Again, the key is player development.  People point to their payroll, and while this season it is much higher than other teams, the last few years they were basically on par with the top several teams and weren't #1.  They spend a lot of money on things we don't see - scouting, analytics, front office infrastructure, etc.  They'll have some choices to make very soon, with Seager and Kershaw both free agents (Jansen 100% won't be re-signed), so it'll be interesting to see how that team fares if they let Seager walk (Kershaw will probably be re-signed, as I see him as a player who will likely spend his whole career with one team).

My hope is Minasian is allowed to do the same.  It looks like he has been, as our FO has expanded already, and we are already seeing some promising results on the field.

I think that Seager will get Lindor money and it will probably be from the Dodgers. I’m more convinced he will resign with the Dodgers than he will get Lindor money.  He could get 5 years and $200 million from the Dodgers. But my guess is he gets $345 million.  Kershaw will start getting one and two year deals from the Dodgers at high annual salaries. 

2 hours ago, Stradling said:

I think that Seager will get Lindor money and it will probably be from the Dodgers. I’m more convinced he will resign with the Dodgers than he will get Lindor money.  He could get 5 years and $200 million from the Dodgers. But my guess is he gets $345 million.  Kershaw will start getting one and two year deals from the Dodgers at high annual salaries. 

Nothing would surprise me at this point. But w Betts, then Seagar, with eventually Bellinger and likely Bueller...theyre gonna be paying close to 200 a year for 4 or 5 guys. 

Like I said, nothing would surprise me from them at this point.... but i would assume at least in 2 years or so theyre going to have to pick one or the other from a lot of these guys.

3 hours ago, Stradling said:

One possible issue with Seager is back issues that he’s already had.

15 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

What do more scouts do? I assume every team is scouting the same good prospects. Is more scouts more about finding the not so great high school names (like trout)?

The dodgers have drafted really well, and a lot of their guys werent even first round. Do they just "see" something most teams (like us) arent? Like i assume every teams scouts saw guys like may and buehler.

But more specific, in terms of player development, what are they doing so well? Is it just a matter of coaching in the minors? Like they have better coaches down there than most teams?

4 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

One possible issue with Seager is back issues that he’s already had.

Judging by the previous 7 or 8 years, my guess is that just before signing him to 400 mill (and us all laughing, because of his back problems), a new x ray machine will be developed, and his back will get fixed with an allen wrench and some wd-40. And he'll go on to win mvp

Or come close, because AJ will make a thread about how good he is.