• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels sign David Fletcher to an extension (5 years, $26 million, with club options for 6th and 7th year)

mmc

1 minute ago, Taylor said:

Trevor Story and Marcus Semien are competing for the Pujols Award.

Every year I have a list of guys I want no part of -- one winter the Angels did me proud and signed two of them (Harvey and Allen) because F me..  But I don't think I've ever been more against a position player than I was Story.

2 minutes ago, True Grich said:

Show Albert some respect, dude.  No one can compete for that award like the mang himself.

The recipients of the award are always inferior to the award's namesake. It's more of an homage than anything.

3 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Every year I have a list of guys I want no part of -- one winter the Angels did me proud and signed two of them (Harvey and Allen) because F me..  But I don't think I've ever been more against a position player than I was Story.

I wanted Story after reading a Fangraphs article about how he performs better in the second or third game of a road trip (some kind of adjustment thing).

There's no way he's as bad as his current numbers.

3 minutes ago, Taylor said:

I wanted Story after reading a Fangraphs article about how he performs better in the second or third game of a road trip (some kind of adjustment thing).

There's no way he's as bad as his current numbers.

He's a weird one.  His hard hit rates have been static but his pull rate on FBs has been on a steady decline for three years according to the data at STATS Inc.  Typically that's the place you look for early warning signs, also a big predictor of future success. 

I think we will see a lot of guys have much better second halfs, partially because the weather and partially because MLB has never shown itself willing to stay with their juiced/deadened ball experiments for very long..  The doubling down of the humidors AND the deader ball has a lot of guys hurting.

But I still wanted no part of him.  The HR numbers were going to prop his price tag up and did.

14 minutes ago, True Grich said:

Show Albert some respect, dude.  No one can compete for that award like the mang himself.

The Cards are 16-12 this year, 5-7 in games AP starts.  His last ten games he's been good for a .154/.267/.192 batting line.   Since his three hit game in his second appearance he's managed a .188/.316/.313 line. 

The Cards have so much respect for AP they have let him face RHPs more than LHPs, he's responded by hitting .080/.233/.080 in those 30 PAs.

26 minutes ago, Taylor said:

Joe Maddon doesn't play 4D chess. He solves a Rubix Cube blindfolded while alligators nip at his balls.

I lol'd because I have a visual of an alligator gently nibbling on someone's genitals 

It's early, but this highlights why long-term deals are risky propositions.  While Eppler did give out what appears to be one poor long-term deal (Rendon), he largely eschewed mega contracts on the whole.

This is why it is just so critical to develop talent within - most of these long-term deals are busts, and you need your young players and undervalued "finds" to help compensate for the albatross contracts that these teams carry.

Fortunately in Fletcher's case, even if he continues to be a black hole offensively, he's really solid defensively, and his contract isn't outrageous.

6 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

The Cards are 16-12 this year, 5-7 in games AP starts.  His last ten games he's been good for a .154/.267/.192 batting line.   Since his three hit game in his second appearance he's managed a .188/.316/.313 line. 

The Cards have so much respect for AP they have let him face RHPs more than LHPs, he's responded by hitting .080/.233/.080 in those 30 PAs.

His numbers are still too good for my liking.