• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels sign David Fletcher to an extension (5 years, $26 million, with club options for 6th and 7th year)

mmc

This seems like a pretty great deal for a dude that put up 1.9 WAR in 49 games in his age 26 season. Not saying he'll keep that pace up, but it's not out of the realm of possibility, and I think 3-4 WAR per season is well within the reasonable expectation range. That is not easy to find for $5 mill/year.

Fletcher took some extremely encouraging strides in advancing his game last year. 

While I was a huge advocate of Fletcher before he made his debut, his lack of power and his lack of walks always handicapped him to someone whose offensive ceiling would be tied to how well he put the ball in play. His BAbip would sink or swim his yearly line - he could hit .260, he could hit .330, but his strong contact skills and lack of strikeouts would make him a more than serviceable hitter.

But his BB% nearly doubled the last two seasons to league average, and the contact he's making is increasingly hard contact. 

It's unlikely, but I wouldn't be surprised if Fletcher had an Altuve-esque season once or twice even; hitting well over .300 with 20-25 HRs and 40 doubles, which would make this an extremely great deal.

7 minutes ago, JAHV76 said:

Nice contract for the value of Fletcher 

Yeah.  And if the luxury tax / AAV is still a thing down the line, the latter years will be bargains for what he would have otherwise likely earned, too.  Notably, this is what the Braves did with Acuna and Albies (albeit, on a much greater scale).

1 minute ago, Warfarin said:

Yeah.  And if the luxury tax / AAV is still a thing down the line, the latter years will be bargains for what he would have otherwise likely earned, too.  Notably, this is what the Braves did with Acuna and Albies (albeit, on a much greater scale).

Be REAL interesting to see if Minasian works on extensions for guys like Walsh, Adell, Canning, Marsh, etc. in the next year or two if they start showing up as legit, healthy, productive MLBers.

1 minute ago, Warfarin said:

Yeah, that Albies deal was just a ridiculous steal for the Braves. Same for Acuna too. 

2 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Be REAL interesting to see if Minasian works on extensions for guys like Walsh, Adell, Canning, Marsh, etc. in the next year or two if they start showing up as legit, healthy, productive MLBers.

Yep.  I'll be very interested to see what Minasian does with these young kids over the next year or two.  Atlanta is incredibly well-run.  I hope he brings what he learned over here.  He'll be able to operate with a larger budget, too.

13 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Yep.  I'll be very interested to see what Minasian does with these young kids over the next year or two.  Atlanta is incredibly well-run.  I hope he brings what he learned over here.  He'll be able to operate with a larger budget, too.

Have to wait and see what they do. Fletcher has proven himself and shown improvement each year.

21 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

3 players you build around now. Trout, Rendon and Fletch

Yep.  Those three are locked down together for at least the next 5 years, 6 if we pick up Fletcher's option.  That is the core of our offense moving forward.  If Ohtani becomes more consistent and we lock him up, we have a great nucleus moving forward.

Hopefully they can soon be joined by Adell and Marsh.  The future, with Fletcher, Ohtani, Trout, Rendon, Marsh, Adell, Walsh .. could be rather bright.

7 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Yep.  Those three are locked down together for at least the next 5 years, 6 if we pick up Fletcher's option.  That is the core of our offense moving forward.  If Ohtani becomes more consistent and we lock him up, we have a great nucleus moving forward.

Hopefully they can soon be joined by Adell and Marsh.  The future, with Fletcher, Ohtani, Trout, Rendon, Marsh, Adell, Walsh .. could be rather bright.

Even Walsh if he hits this year get him cheap but he still has a lot to prove