• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Predictions: Who do you think the Angels new play by play announcer will be?

BTH

Probably is a difficult search trying to find someone who has not done something at some time to offend someone.  At this point, the Angels better find a non-controversial play-by-play announcer to try and lower their "face palm" decision WAR.

It feels like there are hundreds of guys out there that would be young, cheap, and plenty qualified/knowledgeable to call a game. Why we continue to trot Mota out there, who still can’t form a coherent sentence after 20 years in the media, is beyond me. I can’t imagine there’s ever been a person who listened to him call a game in English (I can’t speak for his Spanish language broadcasts... maybe he’s great there) that walked away from that experience thinking “that guy’s pretty good”. 

I don't have nearly the same amount of issues most of you have with either Terry Smith or Jose Mota. I'm not saying either one is great, but they don't bother me nearly as much as they appear to bother a lot of you. 

And... Jose Mota is just one heck of a nice guy and a good human being from what I can tell and understand.  It's hard for me to hate on a guy like him.  Smith, I don't know much about - but every time I've seen him in public, he's been nice to fans.

1 hour ago, True Grich said:

I don't have nearly the same amount of issues most of you have with either Terry Smith or Jose Mota. I'm not saying either one is great, but they don't bother me nearly as much as they appear to bother a lot of you. 

And... Jose Mota is just one heck of a nice guy and a good human being from what I can tell and understand.  It's hard for me to hate on a guy like him.  Smith, I don't know much about - but every time I've seen him in public, he's been nice to fans.

My mother is the nicest person I've ever met--but I wouldn't want her to be the PBP announcer for the Angels, either.

On 3/4/2021 at 5:28 PM, Trendon said:

The Angels are gonna hire a new play by play announcer by the end of the month, so get your predictions in. Who do you think the Angels new play by play announcer will be?

My prediction: Stephen Nelson from MLB Network.

I want Rex back

3 hours ago, True Grich said:

Definitely not doubting that Jose is a good dude. I've never heard anything otherwise. I'd love to have a beer with him and chat baseball. But the fact remains that he's just a crap announcer. It comes off as harsh saying it as one does on a message board. I consider myself a decent enough dude too, but that doesn't make me a good choice to perform a job function that I'm just not good at. And that's the way I view Mota. He's a nice guy with solid enough baseball knowledge, but he's just flat out bad at speaking on a broadcast.

3 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

My mother is the nicest person I've ever met--but I wouldn't want her to be the PBP announcer for the Angels, either.

49 minutes ago, Don said:

Definitely not doubting that Jose is a good dude. I've never heard anything otherwise. I'd love to have a beer with him and chat baseball. But the fact remains that he's just a crap announcer. It comes off as harsh saying it as one does on a message board. I consider myself a decent enough dude too, but that doesn't make me a good choice to perform a job function that I'm just not good at. And that's the way I view Mota. He's a nice guy with solid enough baseball knowledge, but he's just flat out bad at speaking on a broadcast.

I'm not saying I like them because they're nice guys.  I'm saying they don't bother me as much as most of you and I should have said "on top of all that they're nice guys."  That's all.

3 hours ago, True Grich said:

I'm not saying I like them because they're nice guys.  I'm saying they don't bother me as much as most of you and I should have said "on top of all that they're nice guys."  That's all.

That’s fair man. I guess my point is that there are tons of guys out there that are calling college or minor league games that are really good and deserve a legitimate shot at being major league broadcasters. Our vacancy is a giant hole that should be filled by one of those guys. Jose is probably a great dude with great relationships, but he’s so much less qualified to broadcast a game than so many others operating at levels below him. And that isn’t fair to those guys or us, the fans.