• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Perry Minasian: "We are prepared to go into Spring Training with what we currently have"

BTH

19 hours ago, Trendon said:

Perry Minasian spoke to the media on Zoom today, and it seems like he's done with the roster. In addition to him saying that they're "prepared to go into Spring Training with what we currently have" the fact that he had this Zoom call today sure seems like an end of offseason type Zoom call. Now, I obviously wasn't on the Zoom call so maybe that wasn't the reason for it, but it sure seems like it.

The reason for the call was because those of us in the media who need to write spring training previews asked to talk to Perry. 

18 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

While he's most likely done, remember Bill Stoneman said he was done and close to the end of spring training he made the Edmonds for AK and Bottenfield trade.

Had Stoneman wanted to trade Edmonds it would have been late November early December for the best package. He was forced to make that trade. He argued against trading Edmonds for months with Tony Tavares that had zero baseball experience. I think the Angels would have been a stronger team for longer with Edmonds in center for the rest of his career. 

It might of been an underwhelming offseason so far, but calling it a bad offseason, even a disappointing offseason, might be a little harsh given a broader context.

Very few times improved substantially this winter. The Padres, Blue Jays, White Sox, Mets, and Dodgers are really the only clear-cut 'winners' of this winter. 

Oakland? Lost La Stella, Hendriks, Grossman, Soria, Davis, and potentially Petit.
Texas? Traded away their only decent SP. 
Seattle? Added a couple relievers, that's about it.
Houston lost George Springer!

Most teams didn't spend. Most teams didn't improve. Most teams claimed financial losses and looked the other way. 
What we did certainly isn't exciting on paper, or in terms of our expectations, but at least we did something. 

There's a pandemic killing thousands a day, costing people jobs, etc., and we're looking at actually getting perhaps a full baseball season in. 

I'm not taking this for granted anymore...it was a huge bummer losing out on 100 games last year, not because it was 100 more games of Rendon or 20 more Bundy starts, but because it was entertainment. It was fun tracking the minor league teams, it was fun watching players grow, it was fun watching Mike Trout home runs. We were denied a lot of that, and it didn't matter who we acquired or didn't. 

I'm really looking forward to watching baseball this year, win or lose. 

27 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Had Stoneman wanted to trade Edmonds it would have been late November early December for the best package. He was forced to make that trade. He argued against trading Edmonds for months with Tony Tavares that had zero baseball experience. I think the Angels would have been a stronger team for longer with Edmonds in center for the rest of his career. 

He didn't.  That was not a baseball decision.  That was a Disney "family values" decision.

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

It's comical how much better Edmonds was/is than Anderson. Stoneman got hosed in that trade too. Sure, AK was on the 2002 World Series team but Edmonds had a whole 2bwar higher than AK that year and Bottenfield was on the team one year and was terrible. One of the worst Angel trades in their history.

6 minutes ago, beatlesrule said:

It's comical how much better Edmonds was/is than Anderson. Stoneman got hosed in that trade too. Sure, AK was on the 2002 World Series team but Edmonds had a whole 2bwar higher than AK that year and Bottenfield was on the team one year and was terrible. One of the worst Angel trades in their history.

No

I'm going to pivot here on Perry.  

Maybe his goal for 2021 was to just be semi competitive, and his real target is 2022?  I know I know.  Another season of Trout lost.  But you still have a pandemic going around and who knows what that's going to bring.  You bring in Maddon's crew and see if he can make any magic with them.  

But you look at how he structured the team.  We have 4 people signed for 2022.  Trout, Rendon, Upton (last year), Ohtani.  The rest are FA's or arbitration players.  That's a really good foundation to start with.

If we compete, great.  If not, we have a lot of one year deals on relatively small contracts that contenders might want to trade for.  Usually, you see more fill in the holes type trades at the deadline than blockbusters.  And we have a lot of fill in the hole type players.

And you look at 2022.  Outfield, Trout, Upton, Adell with one more year under his belt.  Year after, Trout, Adell, Marsh.  Set there.

Infield.  Rendon and Fletcher.  You have a kick ass class of SS in 22, and the Angels will have lots of money.  1B you have Walsh, Ward, or you could sign someone.  

Catcher is up in the air, but it give Stassi and really Bemboom a year to see if they can make it a full season.  

So that leaves pitching, which is a mess.  But sometimes a clean slate is better than one that has some costly middling players.   And this is where hopefully Perry can work some magic.

4 hours ago, beatlesrule said:

Like I said, Stoneman had no choice. It was either trade him or lose him because Tavares was set to DFA one of the premiere center fielders in baseball over something that never reached the press. And I think St. Louis knew they could low ball and still get Edmonds. Tavares was an asshole.