• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What are your predictions for Quintana as a member of the Angels?

AW truths:

Every one year deal is Matt Harvey or Julio Teheran

Every prospect is Brandon Wood if he isn't Mike Trout

The Angels don't care about pitching

Arte is cheap and doesn't care about winning

The entire off season plan should be completed by Thanksgiving

Our farm system isn't good.  

Playing 1b is easy

7 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

This is actually a lot better than you probably think it is. That likely makes him a 3 WAR pitcher.

It’s good but its just a let down compared to what my expectations were going into this offseason with all the available pitching. But obviously that can change if we do pull Bauer off or sign/trade for another pitcher.

I was expecting someone like Quintana to be the B move. Right now, it just feels like the A move we have made. Again, it can all change though. 

49 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

AW truths:

Every one year deal is Matt Harvey or Julio Teheran

To be fair, what SP one year deals have turned out well for the Angels during this SP starved period?  Maybe there's a good one in there somewhere, but i can't think of any off-hand.  Heck, you could add RPs into the analysis too -- most have ended pretty badly for the Angels.

2 hours ago, Fourts said:

To be fair, what SP one year deals have turned out well for the Angels during this SP starved period?  Maybe there's a good one in there somewhere, but i can't think of any off-hand.  Heck, you could add RPs into the analysis too -- most have ended pretty badly for the Angels.

none of the ones under different GM's.  

your second sentence is absurd.  

18 hours ago, Fourts said:

How many of those were acquired by someone other than Eppler or Dipoto? 

3 hours ago, Stradling said:

How many of those were acquired by someone other than Eppler or Dipoto? 

lol.  OK, i get it -- Minasian is a different GM.  So i guess we're going to now assume that he has the magic touch and all one year reclamation SP acquisitions will be different under PM.  Sure we are due.  Sure some other teams have hit on one of these guys occasionally.  But by & large, these do not end well.  There is a reason you get these SPs one one year, low salary deals.  It can work out, but the likelihood is that it won't.  You are just hoping to get a solid season out of the guy.  But again, if that was known, then the price tag and years would be MUCH greater.  

I have high hopes for Perry and want to give him the benefit of the doubt.  Maybe he will have the magic touch with his FA signings...especially the one year SP types.  But the success rate for all GMs on these acquisitions is pretty low.  It would be awesome if Quintana, and whoever else is next, becomes a 2021 success story.  But banking on it like some are doing on here seems overly optimistic.      

17 minutes ago, Fourts said:

lol.  OK, i get it -- Minasian is a different GM.  So i guess we're going to now assume that he has the magic touch and all one year reclamation SP acquisitions will be different under PM.  Sure we are due.  Sure some other teams have hit on one of these guys occasionally.  But by & large, these do not end well.  There is a reason you get these SPs one one year, low salary deals.  It can work out, but the likelihood is that it won't.  You are just hoping to get a solid season out of the guy.  But again, if that was known, then the price tag and years would be MUCH greater.  

I have high hopes for Perry and want to give him the benefit of the doubt.  Maybe he will have the magic touch with his FA signings...especially the one year SP types.  But the success rate for all GMs on these acquisitions is pretty low.  It would be awesome if Quintana, and whoever else is next, becomes a 2021 success story.  But banking on it like some are doing on here seems overly optimistic.      

It's not about magic.  You write as if it's totally up to chance.  It's not.  Some guys can be better at this than others.  It's actually a thing.  He's from a couple systems that have been better at it.  

And the elevated price tag on most players has a lot to do with their age and injury history.  There's a reason you hire people to evaluate this stuff and not just pull names out of hat.  

I have posted about the success of the mid market pitcher many times.  That the success rate of one year deals isn't that different.  I would recommend looking some stuff up instead of making assumptions that guy are better just because they get paid more or are signed for more years.  It's a gm's job to find market inefficiencies.  

No one is banking on Quintana to be a pitcher with a sub 4 era over 180 innings.  Take a look at his track record and determine what's realistic.  There are reasonable assumptions that can be made.  Quintana has a really high floor.  You calling him a reclamation project makes it seem like you have no clue what you are writing about.  

36 minutes ago, Fourts said:

No, you clearly don’t. 

33 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

It's not about magic.  You write as if it's totally up to chance.  It's not.  Some guys can be better at this than others.  It's actually a thing.  He's from a couple systems that have been better at it.  

And the elevated price tag on most players has a lot to do with their age and injury history.  There's a reason you hire people to evaluate this stuff and not just pull names out of hat.  

I have posted about the success of the mid market pitcher many times.  That the success rate of one year deals isn't that different.  I would recommend looking some stuff up instead of making assumptions that guy are better just because they get paid more or are signed for more years.  It's a gm's job to find market inefficiencies.  

No one is banking on Quintana to be a pitcher with a sub 4 era over 180 innings.  Take a look at his track record and determine what's realistic.  There are reasonable assumptions that can be made.  Quintana has a really high floor.  You calling him a reclamation project makes it seem like you have no clue what you are writing about.  

Wait, you are seriously saying Minasian is better at GMing and acquiring one-year FA SPs than others?  Please tell me how so and what specific such SPs he's hit on....since this is his first GM job.  Fact is -- we have no idea how well he will do in his evaluation of players and being a GM.  Don't give me anything about ATL or Toronto -- we have no idea if his input was 0-100% at those places.  Just like we didn't with Eppler.  Many people (i guess not you) had high hopes for Eppler and that he'd be much better than the prior guys (just like your doing with PM).  I'm going to wait to see the results on the field before i start claiming to know how well a job PM will do.  Arte/etc. sure thought the other guys (Eppler, Dipoto, etc.) we're also hired to "evaluate this stuff and not just pull names out of a hat" -- yet how'd that work out?!?.  So for you to claim PM will be different before we even see results (let along complete the offseason) seems to be a bit premature don't you think?  I hope PM is better as well and gets it right -- but i'm tired of being let down each time.  So i'm waiting for results.  Arte is still the same guy hiring btw (he's failed at GMs, managers, etc -- why assume this is any different).

As to Quintana, you mention his track record.  Let's not forget he is getting older.  Older is worse...older is more prone to injuries.  2020 was a nothing burger for him.  So you are referencing 2019 & back.  I'm more concerned about future not track record.  Track record is why Pujols got a 10 year ridiculous contract.  I will say, i am more confident in Q than some of Epplers guys.  I'm just saying he comes with some uncertainty and our SP staff needs some certainty.  So i'm really hoping our last SP spot gets filled by someone young/good rather than a older/injury type guy like Paxton/Archer/etc.