• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Howie Kendrick retires

mmc

Probably already been said but I'll say it again anyway.

Howie is the most underappreciated player in Angels history. Everyone was so caught up in the whole "batting title" thing, but the fact is he was a very good all-around 2nd baseman and we have yet to successfully replace him since he was traded. Fletcher may end up changing that but the point remains. 

He even tried his own heroics in the 2014 ALDS but was robbed, I think twice, by two of the luckiest bullshit catches in baseball history (yes I'm still salty about that. Fuck you Aoki).

Dude was great for us and in hindsight I wish we had kept him.

Yep, this place really crucified Howie because he never lived up to what was said about him by others.  They also couldn’t forgive the two short comings one was a season of grounding into a lot of double plays (DP47), and he was susceptible to the low and away breaking ball. I loved his gap to gap approach.  He was also a rock solid defensive second baseman for us. One of my favorite all time Angels. 

9 hours ago, T.G. said:

I will never forget those ads he did with Mike Scioscia for Howard’s. It was pure gold. They were like Redford and Newman together.

Dammit, beat me to it. Those shitty ads were the peak era.

Loved howie. Always hated reading the "he cant hit sliders" talk on here. Howie was solid as hell, and he and aybar were a stable battery here for years. 

Makes you realize how spoiled we were for awhile.

Ill add to the great moments. The slam against the dodgers was great. So was him striking out on a slider, as a dodger, to end their season.

.... so i guess he actually did suck against sliders. Still hated reading it all the time.

I'm a year older than him and it makes me feel old seeing a guy I followed since the Angels drafted him retire after 15 years in the majors.  Always seemed like a legitimately nice guy and he was a good player.  As a  fan base we had ridiculously high expectations because of his success in the minors which led to not appreciating what he accomplished in his time here.  Would be nice to see the Angels do something for him at some point to recognize his 9 years here.

16 hours ago, PattyD22 said:

Howie was a favorite Angel player of mine, but unfortunately for me, my favorite Howie highlight was that dagger he delivered against the Dodgers in the NLDS.  Nothing he ever did as an Angel equaled that blessing from above.

Good luck to him and I wish him the best.  

Damn that Grand slam still makes me smile.

My favorite part of that Grand Slam was seeing the exodus of Dodger fans before the next at bat was even started.  Thousands of dejected Dodger Fans streaming toward the exits.  Can there be a better sight in baseball?

This is not a knock, but it is interesting that he'll be remembered as a postseason hero. His career postseason numbers weren't good.   Good for him, though.  If not for what he did to help the Nationals win the World Series, his retirement wouldn't have gotten nearly  this much attention.

6 hours ago, Capital_Dave said:

My favorite part of that Grand Slam was seeing the exodus of Dodger fans before the next at bat was even started.  Thousands of dejected Dodger Fans streaming toward the exits.  Can there be a better sight in baseball?

As a lifelong Angel fan and long time season ticket holder, I'd be a hypocrite if I didn't say this has happened many times at Angel Stadium also.  Most often when Matt Harvey pitched, and that exodus usually started in or around the 4th inning.

But your post still has a lot of merit to it.