• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Howie Kendrick retires

mmc

Howie is one of my all time favorite Angels.  Always a great interview, and so much fun to watch him play.  This news has me bummed out.  Hope he has a great retirement... though I could totally see him becoming a coach or manager someday if he chose to pursue it.

Solid player, solid person. Seems like he didn't get the recognition he deserved while playing for the Halos. Unrealistic expectations and injuries played into that a bit. But he was fun to watch. 

Interesting, when he came up, I remember he was comp'd to Bill Madlock. Their career #'s were actually pretty close:

Howie (15 years) .294/.337/.430.  354 2B, 38 3B, 127 HR, 724 RBI

Madlock (15 years) .305/.365/.442. 348 2B, 34 3B, 163 HR,  860 RBI

Howie was a favorite Angel player of mine, but unfortunately for me, my favorite Howie highlight was that dagger he delivered against the Dodgers in the NLDS.  Nothing he ever did as an Angel equaled that blessing from above.

Good luck to him and I wish him the best.  

Damn that Grand slam still makes me smile.

Edited by PattyD22

1 hour ago, PattyD22 said:

Howie was a favorite Angel player of mine, but unfortunately for me, my favorite Howie highlight was that dagger he delivered against the Dodgers in the World Series.  Nothing he ever did as an Angel equaled that blessing from above.

He played the Dodgers in a world series? He came up when we were spoiled. I'd be thrilled if Fletcher has the career Howie had.

2 hours ago, Angel Dog and Beer said:

Solid player, solid person. Seems like he didn't get the recognition he deserved while playing for the Halos. Unrealistic expectations and injuries played into that a bit. But he was fun to watch. 

Interesting, when he came up, I remember he was comp'd to Bill Madlock. Their career #'s were actually pretty close:

Wow! Very close! I remember Bill Madlock on the Bucs when I first became an Angels fan. A very dangerous bat.

2 hours ago, Angel Dog and Beer said:

...though that translates into a 123 OPS+ for Madlock and 109 for Howie (still solid).  And Madlock won 4 batting titles.  He wasn't a good defender, so Howie definitely had him beat there.  Both had injury issues.  Madlock really hit a wall after his last batting title in '83.  Lost 12 points off of his career batting average in the next 4 years.

2 hours ago, Second Base said:

Too bat that batting title we all became so  attached to never materialized. He became a hero elsewhere. It sucks he'll be remembered more as a National than an Angel.

Lol you always come in with all the negativity. Someone needs to get laid.

1 hour ago, PattyD22 said:

Howie was a favorite Angel player of mine, but unfortunately for me, my favorite Howie highlight was that dagger he delivered against the Dodgers in the World Series.  Nothing he ever did as an Angel equaled that blessing from above.

I was at a friend’s apt.   All of a sudden from the next apt building over, argghhhhh’s rained down.   I loved it.

They still haven’t won a WS in anything resembling a regular season since 1988.

Edited by Angel Oracle