• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels interested in Kurt Suzuki

mmc

Just now, Inside Pitch said:

Yup, Mathis catches shit here but the dude was a mega athlete and it was because of Horne he ended up at C.  Starred at QB many believed he would become a pitcher ...  He's a guy that worked for everything he's accomplished.   He's about a sure a bet to end up coaching as there is, IMHO.

agreed, he was a pretty cerebral guy. But, I did remember him playing Shortstop in High school and pretty good at the spot. 

Just now, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

agreed, he was a pretty cerebral guy. But, I did remember him playing Shortstop in High school and pretty good at the spot. 

Yep, Horne's pitching made the switch permanent.   He had just become a full time catcher by then.   Dude was legit at both positions and on the mound.

1 minute ago, Inside Pitch said:

Yep, Horne's pitching made the switch permanent.   He had just become a full time catcher by then.   Dude was legit at both positions and on the mound.

That still Segway's into my comment we haven't had that in the minor league development process for a very long time. As most of our catchers of late that we have drafted have changed positions to get to the Big Leagues (Ward/Thaiss). 

42 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Considering Langoliers was drafted the same year Minasian joined the Braves I tend to believe they had their draft preferences in place prior to his joining the franchise.   Honestly the history just doesn't support the position that the teams he worked for leaned towards high round catchers.  

The biggest case to made for the Angels targeting a catcher is the lack of quality depth there in the minors and drafting for need is spotty AF.

FWIW, Minasian joined the Braves in 2017 and Langeliers was part of the 2019 draft, so it wasn't in the same year.

But anyway, that minor point aside, I think the biggest part of the equation is your last sentence, and it's my #1 reason as to why we could see it.  Quite simply, we have no catching talent of note in the minors, and Minasian has gone out of his way to say how important catching is.  So just putting two and two together, I think we'll see a concerted effort towards building a catching pipeline of some kind.  

52 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Yup, Mathis catches shit here but the dude was a mega athlete and it was because of Horne he ended up at C.  Starred at QB many believed he would become a pitcher ...  He's a guy that worked for everything he's accomplished.   He's about a sure a bet to end up coaching as there is, IMHO.

Ive said it before.

Mathis is a punching bag to the fanbase. Here and im sure others.

But hes lasted the better part of two decades in pro ball for a reason. I dont know what the reason is. But its obvious something is there that we fans are too stupid to see.

And ive heard multiple people from multiple orgs rave about him. 

He'll have a job as long as he wants one, and Im sure one after he quits.

Just now, JackDuncan67 said:

Bust a move to improve before somebody else does ! 

There really is no rush, there are enough catchers available to get a guy that can split time with Stassi.  Not to mention there are always teams that will trade their defensive minded back up catcher this time of year.

3 hours ago, AngelStew43 said:

I would like this from the catcher position.  His career BA is .259, and he doesn't strike out a lot.  2-3 mil on a one year deal to split time with Stassi, and the team would be in great shape behind the plate.

his full salary was 1.5 million last year. he's not getting a raise. i'd predict he hits right at last year's salary. i'm perfectly fine with him at 1.5 million on a one year deal.

16 minutes ago, JackDuncan67 said:

Get busy and get Kurt Suzuki or Yodier Molina before they are gone !

those two things are in no way equal. suzuki's going to cost 1.5 and he's decent. yadier is going to cost a lot more and he's more than decent, even in his advanced age.

12 minutes ago, Stradling said:

There really is no rush, there are enough catchers available to get a guy that can split time with Stassi.  Not to mention there are always teams that will trade their defensive minded back up catcher this time of year.

Especially in this winter, there really is no rush to do anything.

There are so many teams who are effectively sitting out free agency, that the real winners will be the teams that wait until February to do anything.  There will likely be a lot of good players still available then who will sign for significantly discounted prices.