• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Who are the best GMs/POBOs (pres of baseball ops)

Docwaukee

Friedman is clearly the best, IMO.  Beyond him, I would say that Beane is great, as is Anthropolous and Epstein.  Zaidi will likely show himself to be a top one very soon, too.

I'd say a top PBO/GM is one who can build a winning team and keep them winning for a long stretch of time - not just one who can win a title by going all in, then having their team not be very good for chunks of time.

3 hours ago, Trendon said:

I'd say that, right now, the best are probably Chris Antonetti/Mike Chernoff with Cleveland, Andrew Friedman with Los Angeles, Derek Falvey/Thad Levine with Minnesota, Billy Beane/David Forst with Oakland, Brian Cashman with New York, and Matthew Silverman/Erik Neander with Tampa Bay.

that's a good list.  

I was glancing through the various teams.  

a bunch don't have both a GM and president of baseball ops.  

plus, how many of the top GM's who are now PBO's were actually GMs for other teams?  and how many PBO and GMs were actually pilfered away from other teams or luckily available like the Friedmans of the world.   

Most of the truly successful guys get promoted to GM from AGM.  You don't see hardly any GM or PBO's switching teams after they've had success with one  club.  

6 hours ago, Dochalo said:

that's a good list.  

I was glancing through the various teams.  

a bunch don't have both a GM and president of baseball ops.  

plus, how many of the top GM's who are now PBO's were actually GMs for other teams?  and how many PBO and GMs were actually pilfered away from other teams or luckily available like the Friedmans of the world.   

Most of the truly successful guys get promoted to GM from AGM.  You don't see hardly any GM or PBO's switching teams after they've had success with one  club.  

Yeah - typically, GMs were "promoted" to PBO on the same team, so they could be kept with their current team, and allowed to hire more staff.  

That said, there are examples of it happening.  Friedman was GM with the Rays when the Dodgers offered him the PBO role.  Zaidi was GM of the Dodgers (under Friedman) when the Giants offered him PBO.  So it does happen, to some degree.