• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Expanded Playoffs Here to Stay?

m0nkey

3 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

Agreed, although I liked it even better with just 8 teams.   This is the one sport where the regular season meant something, until now.

Disagree. Regular season matters in all sports it gets you into the playoffs. Once into the playoff its anyone’s game. I would add that I hope they make each playoff series at least a 5 game series, I’d like all series to be 7 games but I think that’s asking way too much of old man MLB.

8 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

Disagree. Regular season matters in all sports it gets you into the playoffs. Once into the playoff its anyone’s game. I would add that I hope they make each playoff series at least a 5 game series, I’d like all series to be 7 games but I think that’s asking way too much of old man MLB.

The regular season doesn't mean shit in the NBA

I'm as big a baseball fan as there is but I'm really getting fed up with all these stupid changes Manfred has proposed. I feel like there is going to come a point where I look at the league and don't see all that much left from what drew me to the sport in the first place.

The owners love this ? No shit.  They can all do fucking Marlins ball and play for .500.  That’ll be enough to get into the dance often enough.  And in one 3 game series or whatever it’s easy enough for any team to take down a 100 game winner.  What’s the point ? It’s just a cynical effort to make big paydays for superstars unnecessary.  I mean who gives a shit if it ruins the spirit of the sport.  Amirite ? 

to have the playoffs more closely approximate what has happened during the regular season would be long and painful.  

hockey and basketball play 80ish regular season games with each playoff series being up to 7 games.  With double the amount of games in baseball, you'd have to have like 13 games series which is never going to happen so mlb playoffs are always going to be a crap shoot way more than in other sports.  Personally, I don't think it's fair to allow the 8 lowest playoff teams to have the same shot as the 8 teams that performed better in the regular season.  There has to be a way to give those top 8 teams an advantage over the bottom 8.  Otherwise, I'm not in favor of it.  

7 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

The owners love this ? No shit.  They can all do fucking Marlins ball and play for .500.  That’ll be enough to get into the dance often enough.  And in one 3 game series or whatever it’s easy enough for any team to take down a 100 game winner.  What’s the point ? It’s just a cynical effort to make big paydays for superstars unnecessary.  I mean who gives a shit if it ruins the spirit of the sport.  Amirite ? 

Exactly. 

2 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

to have the playoffs more closely approximate what has happened during the regular season would be long and painful.  

hockey and basketball play 80ish regular season games with each playoff series being up to 7 games.  With double the amount of games in baseball, you'd have to have like 13 games series which is never going to happen so mlb playoffs are always going to be a crap shoot way more than in other sports.  Personally, I don't think it's fair to allow the 8 lowest playoff teams to have the same shot as the 8 teams that performed better in the regular season.  There has to be a way to give those top 8 teams an advantage over the bottom 8.  Otherwise, I'm not in favor of it.  

I don't inherently hate the idea of expanded playoffs if the odds of winning the tournament align with how well the teams played in the regular season.

1 hour ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

I'm as big a baseball fan as there is but I'm really getting fed up with all these stupid changes Manfred has proposed. I feel like there is going to come a point where I look at the league and don't see all that much left from what drew me to the sport in the first place.

What do you dislike about a universal dh or more playoff teams?

5 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

Sure it does. It means home court advantage. Home court advantage means a lot in the NBA. 

It's insignificant... if the Lakers were the 8th seed they would still demolish the league. Home court means so little people were saying the Lakers should try and finish second so they could get a more favorable matchup in the playoffs. The Lakers didn't play a significant game all season... all ~80 games were one epic pre-season.

11 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

What do you dislike about a universal dh or more playoff teams?

I think the universal DH negatively impacts the strategic and tactical aspect of the game. It promotes roster specialization with a focus toward the batter/pitcher matchup as opposed to versatility and the more fundamental aspects of the game. I understand that most here don't think that's important.

More playoff teams inherently reduce the value of regular season games. Expanded playoffs means that any big games at the end of the season are not between the best teams, but between lesser teams that shouldn't be playing meaningful games anyway. In baseball it also means mediocre champions and a watering down of the competition.

32 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

I think the universal DH negatively impacts the strategic and tactical aspect of the game. It promotes roster specialization with a focus toward the batter/pitcher matchup as opposed to versatility and the more fundamental aspects of the game. I understand that most here don't think that's important.

More playoff teams inherently reduce the value of regular season games. Expanded playoffs means that any big games at the end of the season are not between the best teams, but between lesser teams that shouldn't be playing meaningful games anyway. In baseball it also means mediocre champions and a watering down of the competition.

43 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

It's insignificant... if the Lakers were the 8th seed they would still demolish the league. Home court means so little people were saying the Lakers should try and finish second so they could get a more favorable matchup in the playoffs. The Lakers didn't play a significant game all season... all ~80 games were one epic pre-season.

Disagree with you completely. More playoff teams mean more teams are in it late. Home field is very important. Has determined champions a lot of times in game 7s. And DH universal is the biggest no brainer in sports. No one wants to watch a pitcher hit ever. Cool you bunted yay! I’d rather watch the Nelson Cruz and Big Papi types hitters over and over again over a pitcher any day of the week.