• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Expanded Playoffs Here to Stay?

m0nkey

3 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

I feel like you could make a stronger argument for including every team in the post season rather than this garbage 16 team format.

No to that. But a sweet sixteen format will still force teams to earn a spot. You could end up having 10 AL teams and 6 NL teams or vice versa quality based on overall record. 

6 minutes ago, RendZone said:

No to that. But a sweet sixteen format will still force teams to earn a spot. You could end up having 10 AL teams and 6 NL teams or vice versa quality based on overall record. 

Yeah, maybe Pujols can win another WS MVP after pushing the Angels over the top in the regular season with a big sac fly in the bottom of the 9th of game 162, securing the clubs 78th win and with it the 16th seed in the post season! EXCITING!!!

2 hours ago, UndertheHalo said:

The owners love this ? No shit.  They can all do fucking Marlins ball and play for .500.  That’ll be enough to get into the dance often enough.  And in one 3 game series or whatever it’s easy enough for any team to take down a 100 game winner.  What’s the point ? It’s just a cynical effort to make big paydays for superstars unnecessary.  I mean who gives a shit if it ruins the spirit of the sport.  Amirite ? 

Yes, I am a purist and would like it to be 2 leagues and winner of each plays in the WS, but I know that is unrealistic today. But now the gold standard of consistency and longevity is replaced by hot streaks and clutch performance. Play .500 (as someone pointed out) and get hot the last month and win it all.

5 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Yeah, maybe Pujols can win another WS MVP after pushing the Angels over the top in the regular season with a big sac fly in the bottom of the 9th of game 162, securing the clubs 78th win and with it the 16th seed in the post season! EXCITING!!!

Or we finally put it all together and win 100 games during the regular season only to lose a 3 game series to the 16th seed.  

1 minute ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

You've posted a lot of stupid shit on here over the years but this might be the dumbest.

You just said 16 teams in the playoffs is like having every team in the playoffs. It’s idiotic. Baseball playoffs and baseball needs to keep evolving. It’s what happens in life and in sports. I promise baseball will be better off because of it. It’ll make the game and the regular season more fun having more teams in the playoffs and it’ll make more fan bases continue to pay attention if there team has a chance at making the playoffs. The wild card play in game has made the game more exciting. I’m sorry you disagree. 

And no I don’t really think you would have protested Jackie Robinson. Chill out. 

6 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

You just said 16 teams in the playoffs is like having every team in the playoffs. It’s idiotic.

No I said your argument in favor of 16 teams in the playoffs would be stronger if they were proposing every team in the playoffs.

I am not against change in this sport, but you fall into about a 1-2% group of fans that seems to think this is a good idea. Owners are not trying to make the game more fun, they simply see more playoff games = more money and that is it.

2 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

No I said your argument in favor of 16 teams in the playoffs would be stronger if they were proposing every team in the playoffs.

I am not against change in this sport, but you fall into about a 1-2% group of fans that seems to think this is a good idea. Owners are not trying to make the game more fun, they simply see more playoff games = more money and that is it.

I’m ok with being the 1-2% 

and of course they are which is what most of us would do in their position. Capitalize on their product and make the most money possible. What you’re kind of missing at is sure it’s about money but if the fans aren’t interested and don’t watch then they wouldn’t be doing this. It’ll be exciting for the fans they get their teams in the playoffs and it’ll be better for the owners pocket books and it’ll be better for the players pocket books. Seems like a win all the way around to me. 

6 hours ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

I'm as big a baseball fan as there is but I'm really getting fed up with all these stupid changes Manfred has proposed. I feel like there is going to come a point where I look at the league and don't see all that much left from what drew me to the sport in the first place.

I thought I would hate the 7 inning double headers but I’m actually liking it more. 

Manfred announced that all playoff tickets will obviously be much more expensive than regular season tickets.

He also announced the newest proposed playoff format where all teams make the playoffs.  The first round Of playoffs will start in April and will be a 140-162 game series.  The best dozen or so will advance to the second round in early October.

On 9/16/2020 at 2:03 PM, AngelsLakersFan said:

I'm as big a baseball fan as there is but I'm really getting fed up with all these stupid changes Manfred has proposed. I feel like there is going to come a point where I look at the league and don't see all that much left from what drew me to the sport in the first place.

You love this game not just for playoffs but the feel of walking into a stadium, before a game. Sound of the ball hitting the bat, the DP to get you out of an inning. Nothing like this game no clock the player drafted in the 37th round becoming your hero. This game is different the hope it brings as you say today my team starts a 10 game winning streak. A player like David Fletcher who plays hard and everywhere like it was little league again. Changes happen but 90 feet between bases been same from the start, nothing like this game been part of my life for over 65 years. Your team will frustrate you to no end but come game time next day you will be watching and hoping. Enjoy this game.

43 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

You love this game not just for playoffs but the feel of walking into a stadium, before a game. Sound of the ball hitting the bat, the DP to get you out of an inning. Nothing like this game no clock the player drafted in the 37th round becoming your hero. This game is different the hope it brings as you say today my team starts a 10 game winning streak. A player like David Fletcher who plays hard and everywhere like it was little league again. Changes happen but 90 feet between bases been same from the start, nothing like this game been part of my life for over 65 years. Your team will frustrate you to no end but come game time next day you will be watching and hoping. Enjoy this game.

I do appreciate all of these things... I grew up watching Angels and Lakers games every night they were on tv, listening to the Angels on the radio when that's all there was. I loved both equally. The Lakers were always better, but the Angels were always more competitive. When the Shaq & Kobe Lakers won their first championship that was as ecstatic as I've ever been as a sports fan. Some time after that though things started to change. I'd be in on every single Angel game but I found myself only tuning in to the big matchups for the Lakers. During their run at a 3rd consecutive title I found myself only watching a couple of first round games, meanwhile the Angels were playing must win games every night. By the time the Kobe / Gasol Lakers came around I'd skip most regular season matchups, but nightly Angel games were high priority. I don't think it's because I loved either team any less, it was purely the format of the leagues that drove my viewing habits. Every game in MLB counts, there are a ton of them but the results matter and at the end of a long season the events of one game can determine whether or not you can win a world series. It may have taken me awhile as a basketball fan but eventually you learn you don't need to hang on every shot, or the results of any game, and if your team is good enough, even a playoff series. In that league almost every game is an exhibition and that has heavily impacted my fandom.

On 9/16/2020 at 8:56 PM, m0nkey said:

I thought I would hate the 7 inning double headers but I’m actually liking it more. 

I can get behind it, there could be some real benefits to embracing it. The reason I don't have a huge problem with it, is that you still have two teams competing with similar limitations, the only difference being you get two results in 14 innings rather than 1 result over 9. It's not the same as the ending all games after 7 innings suggestion because here you actually need a deeper roster rather than a shallower one.

If they really want to expand the playoffs, I saw a suggestion saying having 6 teams per league, with the 1st and 2nd seeds getting a "bye," and then having 3vs6 an 4vs5 in a best of 3 game series.

To me, that would be acceptable if they are intent on expanding the playoffs, and it does reward teams for being the best (or 2nd best).

Unlikely, but..

If we go, say, 6-2 down the stretch, and the Astros continue to tank and go 3-6, we will catch them, and we have the tie-breaker (head-to-head).

Odds are slim, given our schedule, but it's at least remotely possibly.  The Padres and Dodgers will have their playoff positions essentially locked up (1st, 4th), so perhaps we'll get their B squads as they try to ensure they reach the playoffs at full health.