• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Jamie Barria can he be rotation answer?

Deadline 1pm pst on Monday so unless teams watching him warm up that will not happen. Angels best starter in 2018. 

55 minutes ago, AngelStew43 said:

I think this is a start where he is being shown to other teams.  I can't see him as anything more than a 7-8 option, meaning he's behind Bundy, Canning, Sandoval, C. Rodriguez, Heaney,  Ohtani,  Detmers.  

It is possible that he may be part of a package headed out before the deadline. 

I actually think Barria might wind up the best MLB SP out of he, Sandoval, Suarez, and Canning.

I think Canning is going to be mired with injuries and ineffectiveness, Sandoval will become a good reliever, and Suarez will flame out. Barria won’t light the world on fire but he could go on to eat up a good number of innings as a back of rotation guy for many years. 

I think Doug White and using him with openers really effed him up last year.

2 hours ago, totdprods said:

I actually think Barria might wind up the best MLB SP out of he, Sandoval, Suarez, and Canning.

I think Canning is going to be mired with injuries and ineffectiveness, Sandoval will become a good reliever, and Suarez will flame out. Barria won’t light the world on fire but he could go on to eat up a good number of innings as a back of rotation guy for many years. 

So basically what you're saying is that were screwed.

2 hours ago, totdprods said:

I agree, except for Canning. I think Canning still has a pretty high ceiling if he can stay healthy and keep finding a way to keep his arm loose in between innings. 

28 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

Chris Stratton

They really screwed with Barria head last year.  He earns a starting spot after being the teams best starter a year earlier.  

The send him down for Stratton.

When he comes up they use a starter for him.

However that was then.  This is his opportunity to get it back.  

6 hours ago, stanick88 said:

I agree, except for Canning. I think Canning still has a pretty high ceiling if he can stay healthy and keep finding a way to keep his arm loose in between innings. 

Canning no doubt has the highest ceiling - I think Sandoval does as well - but I have a gnawing feeling it's going to be a rollercoaster of injuries, shut down from throwing, ineffectiveness due to worry about getting injured, etc. with him. If he avoids that, sure, he'll almost certainly be the best of that quartet. But until that feeling goes away, I think Barria actually stands the best chance of having the most productive, lengthy MLB career as a SP. 

I've thought for awhile now Sandoval could be killer out of the pen, but of course they need to try him in the rotation first.

Canning is actually projecting real nicely as being in our rotation next year.  We just need one more front line starter and a solid bullpen piece.  Hopefully Eppler figures out the lineup issues (currently Pujols, RISP, and potentially some balance issues).  Pujols needs to be gone, find a way to get him back to St Louis.

14 hours ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

Barria is a solid 4/5 and can pitch like a 3 at times. Personally, outside of his rookie season, he hasn't really gotten the opportunity to be a full time starter and that's a disappointment. 

THIS

No-one should be anti-Barria. However for several years now we've known we've needed a 1 and 2 in our rotation. We can't just slot in 7 Barria types and hope Ohtani and Heaney can be aces anymore. 

13 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

THIS

No-one should be anti-Barria. However for several years now we've known we've needed a 1 and 2 in our rotation. We can't just slot in 7 Barria types and hope Ohtani and Heaney can be aces anymore. 

First do not think Ohtani will pitch next year. We do need an ace maybe Bauer next year, but Barria could be back end rotation type.

11 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

First do not think Ohtani will pitch next year. We do need an ace maybe Bauer next year, but Barria could be back end rotation type.

I'm suggesting expecting ohatini for pitching success would be unwise.  It will now be over 2 years of minimal innings.  If he pitches well it should be a surprise not something expected.  I'd add bauer and either ray,  stroman, or odorizzi

6 hours ago, totdprods said:

Canning no doubt has the highest ceiling - I think Sandoval does as well - but I have a gnawing feeling it's going to be a rollercoaster of injuries, shut down from throwing, ineffectiveness due to worry about getting injured, etc. with him. If he avoids that, sure, he'll almost certainly be the best of that quartet. But until that feeling goes away, I think Barria actually stands the best chance of having the most productive, lengthy MLB career as a SP. 

I've thought for awhile now Sandoval could be killer out of the pen, but of course they need to try him in the rotation first.

Is it Canning's arm just not being durable enough for MLB pitching?  Or is it he himself not being confident enough in staying healthy? 

43 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

I'm suggesting expecting ohatini for pitching success would be unwise.  It will now be over 2 years of minimal innings.  If he pitches well it should be a surprise not something expected.  I'd add bauer and either ray,  stroman, or odorizzi

It's actually four years of minimal innings, going back to 2017 in Japan.   That has to be a huge red flag right there.