• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Angels’ David Fletcher could see more time in outfield when Tommy La Stella is at second

AngelsWin.com

TEMPE, Ariz. — Ever since the Angels got Anthony Rendon to play third base, many fans and outsiders have assumed the way to squeeze David Fletcher and Tommy La Stella into the lineup together would be having La Stella move to first with Fletcher at second.

On the eve of the Angels first full-squad workout, Manager Joe Maddon indicated Sunday there is a more likely scenario, with La Stella at second and Fletcher in right field.

“Obviously you want to get Tommy out there as often as you can against righties,” Maddon said. “The challenge is that I like Fletcher on the field as much possible. The fact that David is versatile to play different positions is going to matter.”

Maddon said Fletcher could “grab some games in the outfield too.” Fletcher has played 27 games in the outfield in the majors.

Right fielder Brian Goodwin hits left-handed but he has reverse splits, with a career .842 OPS against lefties and .767 against righties.

The Angels could start Fletcher in right and La Stella at second against righties, with Fletcher at second and Goodwin in right against lefties. Regardless of who starts, if the Angels are protecting a lead they’d likely finish with Fletcher at second and Goodwin in right.

The other alternative — with La Stella at first when Albert Pujols is off or at DH — doesn’t seem to have much traction among Angels management. La Stella has played 5-1/3 innings there in his career.

“We haven’t really discussed that right now,” Maddon said. “I’ve never seen Tommy play a whole lot of first base. I’m not saying it’s impossible. It’s just not a high priority yet, but it could be. It could be.”

Even though La Stella isn’t as positionally flexible, Maddon seems committed to getting him in the lineup as much as possible after his breakthrough season in 2019. La Stella had an .832 OPS and 16 homers in half a season, earning an All-Star berth. He didn’t play in the All-Star Game, or much of the second half, because of a broken leg.

Maddon had La Stella with the Chicago Cubs, using him mostly as a pinch-hitter, but he believes in the improvement La Stella made last year.

“I don’t think we just saw last year as a fluke,” Maddon said. “I know how well this guy can hit. The power was something different, but I can see why it showed up. He’s done a lot of really good work. Again, he’s part of that mix. Nice problems to have when you get a little bit of depth.”

TWO-WAY WALSH

Jared Walsh reported to camp with the pitchers and catchers, but he still hasn’t thrown a bullpen session. Walsh said, as far as he knows, the Angels are still planning to use him as a two-way player.

The new rules, however, put some restrictions on him. Walsh can’t qualify as a two-way player until he’s pitched 20 innings and started 20 games as a position player, with at least three plate appearances in each game.

The Angels will initially need to classify him as a position player on their roster. That means that he won’t be able to pitch unless the Angels are up or down by six runs, which means it will be tough for him to get the 20 innings.

Walsh said he’s content to be a mop up pitcher for now. He’s mostly focused on improving at the plate. He had a .605 OPS in 87 plate appearances last year. There is playing time at first base up for grabs, with Walsh and Matt Thaiss as the leading candidates.

“I think the best part of the big leagues last year was, when I struggled, I kind of got the blueprint of what I’m good at and what I’m not so good at,” he said. “So just in my offseason training, I wanted to kind of evolve as a baseball player like I do every year. Now I have concrete results of what worked for me and what didn’t.”

View the full article

Intriguing quote from Maddon... Fletcher is our third best OF?  Based on recent discussion i found that, unexpected.  But i also cant argue it as i figured that would be part of the mix.

Unrelated, also saw reports that LaStella at 1B isnt popular with management so another off season theory has apparently been shot to hades. 

33 minutes ago, RBM said:

I still think La Stella at 1B is really nothing more than an AW message board offseason creation. Same thing with Upton at 1B.

Now, if Thaiss and Walsh look as bad in ST as they did with the Angels last year and Maddon is not confident giving them AB's against RHP's then I could see him trying La Stella at 1B.

I think the backup 1B job is Thaiss' to loose.

Yep, this is dead on.
ill admit i thought it wasnt a good idea to get him some 1B at bats for a few reasons, but in the end that seems to be our issue, not theirs. 

It looks like Fletcher will have a full-time job as a super UT, with La Stella and Rengifo battling for 2B starts and backup IF duties. 1B/DH also has an  interesting battle, with Pujols' playing time possibly being reduced if--and only if--one or more of Thaiss, Ward, and Walsh hit well. 

One possible scenario that I find appealing is that Rengifo takes a step forward and is heir apparent at SS next year, Fletcher is super UT, and Jahmai Jones is the regular 2B, and one of Ward/Walsh/Thaiss earning the 1B gig. So 2021 might look like this:

C Whothafucknows

1B Thaiss

2B Jones

SS Rengifo

3B Rendon

LF Upton/Marsh

CF Trout

RF Adell

DH Ohtani/Upton

UT Fletcher

Of course if Simmons bounces back, he's likely better than Rengifo, but Rengifo  could provide some salary relief - if he takes a step forward.

4 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

It looks like Fletcher will have a full-time job as a super UT, with La Stella and Rengifo battling for 2B starts and backup IF duties. 1B/DH also has an  interesting battle, with Pujols' playing time possibly being reduced if--and only if--one or more of Thaiss, Ward, and Walsh hit well. 

One possible scenario that I find appealing is that Rengifo takes a step forward and is heir apparent at SS next year, Fletcher is super UT, and Jahmai Jones is the regular 2B, and one of Ward/Walsh/Thaiss earning the 1B gig. So 2021 might look like this:

Realistically, though, how likely is it that Jones does enough to become the starter in 2021?  Sure seems like he's still got a long way to go, both offensively and defensively, right?

On 2/17/2020 at 10:10 AM, DMVol said:

Sorry if already discussed but, if LaStella isn't going to play any 1b, who are we going to play when Albert DH's or when Albert gets hurt or when Albert hits like most guys who are 41?  

This is very disturbing. If Albert plays more than twice a week then 1B becomes a big liability. I hope that Walsh figures it out  because I agree that Thaiss and Ward are AAA career players.