• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Not done?

Just thinking out loud, but assuming that the Joc/Stripling trade goes through, this is clearly a move focused on this year. That’s why it was initially so puzzling to me. Why trade for one year of Joc if you’re slow-playing it back into contention? 

I don’t see them flipping Joc, as some have suggested. The only other conclusion I can come up with is that a move for pitching is coming. That’s also why Stripling makes sense: He’s a guy who can pitch effectively as a starter or reliever. Ohtani likely doesn’t pitch to start the year per reports, so we’re looking at an early rotation of something like:

Heaney, Stripling, Bundy, Teheran, and probably Canning, with Andriese in the pen. Now, if they add an arm, that moves Canning down to be first man up in case of injury. So now we have something like Gray*, Heaney, Stripling, Bundy, Teheran. Add Ohtani in and Stripling can move to #6 out of the pen. 

Obviously I don’t know who they’d trade for, but this feels like they’re pushing to compete now. Joc gives them a stopgap until Adell/Marsh are ready to play full time without a hole in the outfield. 

I don't see Joc as a stop gap. I think the Joc signing along with the OF prospect means that Marsh might be available in a trade. Joc is still only 27 if he has a good year maybe the resign him and something happens where Upton is moved or has to change positions. an outfield of Joc Adell and Trout seems like a pretty powerful one. If anything it does gives the Angels tons of options and things to play around with line up wise or trade wise. 

The best thing about this trade is it doesn’t have any sort of filter like ‘win now’ or a ‘good for one year’ deal applied to it. 

It’s a very versatile trade.

I don’t think it is, at this time, part of some other move or series of moves. 

It’s win now in a sense that Pederson is in his walk year and is a clear upgrade in RF over what we had in Goodwin and arguably over what we had prior in Calhoun, and likely even better than what we could have hoped for from a rookie Adell even. It does give Eppler flexibility to deal an OF prospect for a frontline arm mid-season. He could be an extension candidate. He could be flipped in July for a decent piece - maybe another pending FA like Stroman or Ray or anyone else who could come available - and this could clear a path for Adell. 

Stripling has years of control and can work different roles. 

Pages could replace Deveaux or Knowles in a deal, either this one or one to come later in the year, or not at all. 

It gives Eppler a ton of flexibility to work with as the reason progresses. 

So these are the scenarios assuming the Angels do not plan to trade Jo Adell:

1) The Angels, for some insane reason, are not in the mix at the trade deadline and they trade Joc to reset for 2021.

2) The Angels are in it but decide to trade Pederson at the deadline because Adell is ready to take over and they can upgrade by moving Joc.

3) The Angels are not in it but keep Joc anyway OR they are competitive and keep Pederson until the end of the 2020 season and either a) do not make him a Qualifying Offer or b) do make him a Qualifying Offer:

a) No QO - Pederson walks into free agency with no compensation coming back to the Angels (unlikely scenario in my opinion)

b) QO Offered - Pederson will choose to accept or not accept:

i) If he does not accept the QO, the Angels will receive either a Competitive Balance Round B pick or a pick after the 4th round, dependent on whether the Angels are over the Luxury Tax Threshold

ii) If he does accept the QO (probably about $18M give or take), the Angels will have him for the 2021 season. Jo Adell will not be Rule 5 eligible until Dec 2021, so he is safe roster-wise but the question becomes what is best for the Angels outfield long-term?

Giving Adell more development time isn't a bad thing and there is a real possibility that Jo could still get called up as an injury replacement as a high quality depth piece.

I for one like the win-now attitude and by picking up a tighter-variance player in Pederson who is hitting his age-27 season and appears to be peaking into his best ISO year(s). This move probably added at least 1-2 wins for the 2020 season and really deepens the outfield depth.

12 minutes ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

Cant stay healthy! And he's dog shit!

You tools, do anything else except jerk each other off?

Yes, we don’t assume a player with 93 at bats has “had his shot”, its asinine.  You may be right, he may not be any good, but 93 at bats is not enough of a sample size to decide that.  

17 minutes ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

Cant stay healthy!

And he's dog shit!

Slappy I am not a huge fan of Hermosillo, I don't think he is a full-time regular but he does have some value and, as others indicated above, 93 at-bat's is a small sample size. What will hold him back is if he doesn't improve against RHP. He hits LHP well enough but in the Majors you have to perform decently well against RHP in order to succeed. He is a good defender at all three OF positions.

3 minutes ago, ettin said:

Slappy I am not a huge fan of Hermosillo, I don't think he is a full-time regular but he does have some value and, as others indicated above, 93 at-bat's is a small sample size. What will hold him back is if he doesn't improve against RHP. He hits LHP well enough but in the Majors you have to perform decently well against RHP in order to succeed. He is a good defender at all three OF positions.

I get your points Ettin. I just haven't seen anything in the BIGS, SPT, or in the few minor league games I've watched him play. To me He hasn't been healthy in what 3 seasons? Averaging approx 89 games a season? 

18 minutes ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

I get your points Ettin. I just haven't seen anything in the BIGS, SPT, or in the few minor league games I've watched him play. To me He hasn't been healthy in what 3 seasons? Averaging approx 89 games a season? 

You know who has only averaged approximately 75 games per season over the last three years?

Jo Adell.

All that I am saying is that no one is pointing out Jo's injury history or lack of games played (and to be honest I think the latter is why Eppler wants more insurance and less variability heading into 2020 by pursuing Pederson), yet he has played less than Hermosillo.

Michael is who he is right now; a solid backup utility outfielder that will work best on a team that has at least two outfielders that hit RHP better than LHP, where his platoon ability will compliment that crew.

He doesn't particularly blow my skirt up either Slappy, he is expendable in trade or to waivers if really necessary.

5 hours ago, totdprods said:

The best thing about this trade is it doesn’t have any sort of filter like ‘win now’ or a ‘good for one year’ deal applied to it. 

It’s a very versatile trade.

I don’t think it is, at this time, part of some other move or series of moves. 

It’s win now in a sense that Pederson is in his walk year and is a clear upgrade in RF over what we had in Goodwin and arguably over what we had prior in Calhoun, and likely even better than what we could have hoped for from a rookie Adell even. It does give Eppler flexibility to deal an OF prospect for a frontline arm mid-season. He could be an extension candidate. He could be flipped in July for a decent piece - maybe another pending FA like Stroman or Ray or anyone else who could come available - and this could clear a path for Adell. 

Stripling has years of control and can work different roles. 

Pages could replace Deveaux or Knowles in a deal, either this one or one to come later in the year, or not at all. 

It gives Eppler a ton of flexibility to work with as the reason progresses. 

I think it’s Pederson’s job to keep. If he shows up and plays at a high level I could see Adell being traded for an arm. 

3 hours ago, ettin said:

You know who has only averaged approximately 75 games per season over the last three years?

Jo Adell.

All that I am saying is that no one is pointing out Jo's injury history or lack of games played (and to be honest I think the latter is why Eppler wants more insurance and less variability heading into 2020 by pursuing Pederson), yet he has played less than Hermosillo.

Michael is who he is right now; a solid backup utility outfielder that will work best on a team that has at least two outfielders that hit RHP better than LHP, where his platoon ability will compliment that crew.

He doesn't particularly blow my skirt up either Slappy, he is expendable in trade or to waivers if really necessary.

True, on Adell. However, you are looking at a guy who is attempting to make the BIG team in his 4th season compared to Michael who is just hopeful of having some meaningful AB's in SPT games and who is working on his 7th season. Michael has also played 120 games one season in 3 levels in 2017.

2 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I shouldn’t be giving my opinion here since the trade isn’t even done yet, but this is my guess....

The Angels wanted Stripling all along. The Dodgers wouldn’t give up a pitcher with 3 years of control and a good track record without asking for prospects the Angels didn’t want to give up (Marsh, etc).

Suddenly the Dodgers are picking up an outfielder and a TON of money, so they need to get someone to take Pederson (and his $9Mish). The Angels agreed to take him just to get Stripling, at a much lower prospect cost. 

Stripling was the point of this, I believe. 

Do you have an idea of who the prospect going the other way is?  If so is it a name we talk about on here frequently?  

37 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I shouldn’t be giving my opinion here since the trade isn’t even done yet, but this is my guess....

The Angels wanted Stripling all along. The Dodgers wouldn’t give up a pitcher with 3 years of control and a good track record without asking for prospects the Angels didn’t want to give up (Marsh, etc).

Suddenly the Dodgers are picking up an outfielder and a TON of money, so they need to get someone to take Pederson (and his $9Mish). The Angels agreed to take him just to get Stripling, at a much lower prospect cost. 

Stripling was the point of this, I believe. 

That's what it appears to be.  Adding Joc, though, is a pretty nice deal for us.  He's a great one year stop-gap, which buys more time for Adell to develop and enables Goodwin to slot into being a very good 4th OF.  Joc is one of the top hitters against RHP in baseball (although he is absolutely awful against LHP and is basically just a very good strong-side platoon player).  This trade lifted us, IMO, from being a fringe WC contender into being a very strong WC contender.  Huge deal for us.