• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

SARS-CoV-2 and COVID-19

6 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

There are about 1 billion colds in the U.S. in a given year. So millions of people have coughs and itchy or sore throats at this moment.

You don't hear much talk about colds or the garden variety flu these days but it's happening all over. 

I've been documenting my flu for the last few weeks.  BTW, I still have a cough, but it's almost gone.  

• Replies 30.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Amazing Larry

• Jason

• St1ck

• tdawg87

26 minutes ago, gotbeer said:

What I find odd about these medical workers running out of these certain items like masks is why don't the hospitals have a stockpile of them?  Over the years, you see in the news all these emergency drills that hospitals and fire/police do.  All masked up and such for terrorist attacks to earthquakes to other various emergencies.  And when an actual emergency happens, they are unprepared with equipment?  This just seems odd to me.  They are saying woe is me, we don't have supplies, it's all the governments fault.  But this almost sounds like it's the hospitals fault for not stockpiling/preparing almost like a cost cutting move.

Because none of the disaaster drills include hospitals overrun by 200% over capacity using the ICU level equipment for 3 months. They are set up for plane crashes or earthquakes that kill small amounts of people quickly, lots of broken bones or have patients that can be sent right back home in a cast. They don't stockpile for this because this is unthinkable in a world that has international health monitoring and no country would dare falsify their deadly virus status.

Until now. 

6 minutes ago, gotbeer said:

BTW @Tank.  How are you feeling with your cough/cold/coronavirus?

Doing pretty well. Still a touch of congestion and my lungs are working hard to expel the junk. Never developed a fever. Thanks for checking in with me.

7 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Because none of the disaaster drills include hospitals overrun by 200% over capacity using the ICU level equipment for 3 months. They are set up for plane crashes or earthquakes that kill small amounts of people quickly, lots of broken bones or have patients that can be sent right back home in a cast. They don't stockpile for this because this is unthinkable in a world that has international health monitoring and no country would dare falsify their deadly virus status.

Until now. 

I think a lot will be changing on our preparedness levels from this point on. 

41 minutes ago, LAAMike said:

The how do you explain Japan's rather low numbers?  

Did you ever see pictures after the Tsunami in Japan where people were lined up in an orderly fashion waiting for food/supplies?  Compare that to the pictures of the aftermath of Hurrican Katrina when people were looting.  The way Japan and some other Asian countries respond to a crisis is a lot different than how people in the US have done in recent years.  To add on to what gotbeer said some Asian countries have been on lock down for over two months now such as Singapore.  For them a lock down means just that and some segment of their population isn't out at beaches or public places because they're going stir crazy a week in.  The other thing Japan, Singapore and Taiwan have working in their favor is that they're islands so it's easier to do a lock down, quarantine anyone coming in and trace people who test positive and who they likely came in contact with.  Here in the US last week we had kids on beaches in Florida partying who headed back home while I'm sure some have the virus and might not even know it or show signs. 

59 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Personally, I think in the short term, personal protection gear will be key. If we can mask everyone up, that alone (i think) will have a huge impact, and allow us to return to work.

That is essentially what S. Korea and Taiwan did and they're back at it. 

Why are we such dumb fucking asses here?

Send every home a few masks that are CDC approved and let us get back to it FFS.

In yet another display of our collective stupidity, there’s now something called the coronavirus challenge. Teens and twenties are going into public places and licking toilets in defiance, as if the only thing they could catch would be this specific virus. 

We may thin the herd without the virus getting anywhere near these pinheads.

2 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

That is essentially what S. Korea and Taiwan did and they're back at it. 

Why are we such dumb fucking asses here?

We can’t even get people to throw away their trash on an airplane or a movie theater, so no surprise at how many feel bulletproof about this virus and won’t stay home.

1 hour ago, Vladdylonglegs said:

Haven’t they been saying from the beginning tho that masks do absolutely nothing to stop the spread? I’ve always found that to be strange since in the same sentence they say medical workers desperately need them. 

Im not a doc, so i dont know the specifics.

But mask will stop it. I dont know what type... ie, a gasmask?

But more so, a mask would help stop you from spreading it. Again, its not as simple as im making it sound. But essentially, something to filter out the bad from the good before you breathe. 

1 hour ago, gotbeer said:

Japan as a people are a lot more sanitary and have cultural ideals that actually work as a deterrent for this virus.  First, if you think you have a cold, it's a cultural norm to put on a mask and sometimes gloves.  Before this outbreak, if you saw someone in a mask and gloves most Americans probably thought they were freaks, or germaphobes.  In Japan also, it's more customary for workers, like at train stations to wear gloves.  Also, they take pride in cleanliness.  For instance, when I was there and went up to a cab, they treat their cabs like what it is, their livelihood.  When they are waiting for a fare, they aren't just sitting there reading a newspaper.  They are cleaning their cab, inside and outside.  

Also, Japan took the odd route right away when this thing hit their shores, and they only had a handful of cases.  They closed all schools right away.  At the time, it looked like an overpanic.  But now, it looks like maybe it was a good strategy.

Bingo

You cant find a piece of trash in japan. Or a trashcan.... they take it with them.

Super disciplined people. 

And they do what theyre told... ie, they arent at the beaches right now.

WE are the reason its spreading.

People cant even do the 6 foot thing here....

9 minutes ago, Lhalo said:

It's also worth mentioning that a large number of those that recover spend weeks in the ICU and will probably have permanent damage from the effects of the virus.

This, times 100

Going back to what i mentioned earlier, about "people die every year". This isnt replacing that... its adding to it...

Not in the at risk category? Are you at least in the heart attack category? Gunshot or beaten category? Fall off your roof or get in a car accident category?

Right on. Try getting into an ER with that over the next few weeks/months....

Theyre telling people no on transplants right now....

@Vladdylonglegs, to clarify, Im not sure the standard "mask" youre picturing will stop it. But something would. Some type of barrier that covers your face....

Probably impractical, due to cost. Maybe a scuba set up (general idea) with a filter. But point being, a mask of some sort to at least issue essential workers for now, while science works on better treatments and an eventual vaccine.