• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

SARS-CoV-2 and COVID-19

• Replies 30.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Amazing Larry

• Jason

• St1ck

• tdawg87

2 minutes ago, st1ckboy said:

No, but I remember when they said it was untested, or premature at that point.

Trump's claim that malaria drug can treat coronavirus gives hope, but little evidence it will work
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/26/trumps-claim-that-malaria-drug-can-treat-coronavirus-gives-hope-but-little-evidence-it-will-work.html

While some small studies give doctors reason to hope, large clinical trials are needed to determine whether the drugs are truly effective in fighting COVID-19, they say.

“We really need to continue to conduct research to find out what works,” former Food and Drug Administration Commissioner Scott Gottlieb said Sunday on CBS’ “Face the Nation.” “Right now, there’s no drug that looks like it’s proven so overwhelming in early-stage clinical trials that we can say it’s highly promising.”

They lied. It was already the drug of choice in Europe. They skipped that to address Trump making that guy eat fish tank cleaner.

1 hour ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Watched most last night, will finish today 

I gotta start watching podcasts. Break up music for a bit.

Yeah, podcasts are the new medium. I think recent data offer the past year up to 2-3 show more people watch YouTube more than regular tv.

I mostly watch my favorite comedians podcasts, but I like dudes like Joe Rogan that bring on dudes way out of my league from an educational standpoint on various topics and subjects. If you want to have your mind blown look up " Joe Rogan Matthew Walker" on YouTube. I've never said "Oh shit!!!" that many times in my life....including sex. Dr. Walker is a PhD from Cal Berkley that studies sleep and everything regarding sleep to it's functions and purpose. It's mind blowing. There are game changers, then there are game changers. It was beyond profound. Some dude even did a cliff notes thing on it because it was so mind blowing.

1 hour ago, Chuckster70 said:

Not really. Fox never put out the amount of fake news that CNN has. 

CNN gets away with it on a daily basis.

When Fox reports on unverified information they report it as such and if it's refuted later they make that known. 

lol, look at you trollin!

42 minutes ago, angelinkc said:

They lied. It was already the drug of choice in Europe. They skipped that to address Trump making that guy eat fish tank cleaner.

drug of choice during a crisis <> proven cure

Even at this point, they are a long way from declaring it a cure...again...positive results though

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/01/health/hydroxychloroquine-coronavirus-malaria.html

The malaria drug hydroxychloroquine helped to speed the recovery of a small number of patients who were mildly ill from the coronavirus, doctors in China reported this week.

Cough, fever and pneumonia went away faster, and the disease seemed less likely to turn severe in people who received hydroxychloroquine than in a comparison group not given the drug. The authors of the report said that the medication was promising, but that more research was needed to clarify how it might work in treating coronavirus disease and to determine the best way to use it.

“It’s going to send a ripple of excitement out through the treating community,” said Dr. William Schaffner, an infectious disease expert at Vanderbilt University.

The study was small and limited to patients who were mildly or moderately ill, not severe cases. Like many reports about the coronavirus, it was posted at medRxiv, an online server for medical articles, before undergoing peer review by other researchers.

But the findings strongly support earlier studies suggesting a role for the drug, Dr. Schaffner said.

2 minutes ago, Vladdylonglegs said:

Ben McAdams was in the hospital for a week with covid and was treated with the anti-malaria drug. He recovered and then said how the drugs that he accepted as a treatment and could have possibly saved his life need to be tested more to see if they do anything for covid. So the left will be the first to sign up to take the drug themselves (believing it helps) but then try to suppress their use for everyone else to make trump look bad. This is crazy. 

I didn't realize that Ben McAdams was every single member of the left in a trench coat.

12 minutes ago, Vladdylonglegs said:

MSM did right away. I’m not republican and I didn’t vote for trump. But I did find it highly disturbing that the left went on a campaign to discredit the malaria drug JUST to prove Trump wrong. CNN published a hit piece on it just last night saying how dangerous Trump is by “promoting” the drugs without any scientific proof. This article was written after France declared it the treatment of choice after (an admittedly) small study found it to be hyper effective.  

This anti-Trump at all costs agenda and propaganda is some very dangerous shit. 

fer fucks sake...nobody went out of their way to discredit it as a cure. Discussing that has not been determined to be a definitive cure is not trying to discredit it...it's a fact. Discussing facts is not dissing something.

What is dangerous is going on national tv and declaring that it is a cure, or implying that the FDA has cleared it for treatments as if it was a scientifically proven cure....when in fact they had not.

Overselling it as a cure, when studies have not concluded it is, is dangerous. It makes people think they can drop their guard because they'll just stop off at the doctor's and pickup some miracle drugs.

re: the French...and again...this is not to be critical but to highlight there is a lot of research and study required before a definitive cure can be declared

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/927758

What do you think about the new results presented by Prof Raoult's team? Do they confirm the effectiveness of hydroxychloroquine?

These results are complementary [to the original results] but don't offer any new information or new statistical evidence. They are absolutely superimposable and say overall that, between 5 and 7 days [of treatment], very few patients shed the virus. But that is not the question that everyone is asking.

Even if we don't necessarily have to conduct a randomized study, we should at least compare the treatment, either against another therapy ― which could be hydroxychloroquine monotherapy, or just standard of care. It needed an authentic control arm.

To recruit 80 patients so quickly, the researchers probably took people with essentially ambulatory forms of the disease (there was a call for screening in the south of France) ― therefore, by definition, less severe cases.

But to describe such a population of patients as going home and say, "There were very few hospitalizations and it is going well," does not in any way prove that the treatment reduces hospitalizations.

2 minutes ago, Vladdylonglegs said:

What do you think your reaction would be if Obama said it? Would CNN have been reporting it differently? Think about it for a few minutes. 

I would say just what I said above...after being shocked that Obama said something so careless

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/02/technology/doctor-zelenko-coronavirus-drugs.html?action=click&module=Spotlight&pgtype=Homepage

Last month, residents of Kiryas Joel, a New York village of 35,000 Hasidic Jews roughly an hour’s drive from Manhattan, began hearing about a promising treatment for the coronavirus that had been rippling through their community.

The source was Dr. Vladimir Zelenko, 46, a mild-mannered family doctor with offices near the village. Since early March, his clinics had treated people with coronavirus-like symptoms, and he had developed an experimental treatment consisting of an antimalarial medication called hydroxychloroquine, the antibiotic azithromycin and zinc sulfate.

After testing this three-drug cocktail on hundreds of patients, some of whom had only mild or moderate symptoms when they arrived, Dr. Zelenko claimed that 100 percent of them had survived the virus with no hospitalizations and no need for a ventilator.

“I’m seeing tremendous positive results,” he said in a March 21 video, which was addressed to President Trump and eventually posted to YouTube and Facebook.

What happened next is a modern pandemic parable that illustrates how the coronavirus is colliding with our fragile information ecosystem: a jumble of facts, falsehoods and viral rumors patched together from Twitter threads and shards of online news, amplified by armchair experts and professional partisans and pumped through the warp-speed accelerator of social media.

Dr. Zelenko’s treatment arrived at a useful moment for Mr. Trump and his media supporters, who have at times appeared more interested in discussing miracle cures than testing delays or ventilator shortages.

Sean Hannity, the Fox News host, quickly promoted Dr. Zelenko’s claims on his TV and radio shows. Mark Meadows, the incoming White House chief of staff, called Dr. Zelenko to ask about his treatment plan. And Rudolph W. Giuliani, Mr. Trump’s personal lawyer, praised him in a podcast interview this week for “thinking of solutions, just like the president.”

Few people have been as hopeful about hydroxychloroquine as Mr. Trump, who has enthusiastically promoted it for weeks as “very effective” and possibly “the biggest game changer in the history of medicine” — even as health experts have cautioned that more research and testing are needed....

Critics have accused Dr. Zelenko of getting ahead of scientific research. Several small studies, including a controversial French one of 20 coronavirus patients, have found that hydroxychloroquine may be effective against the coronavirus. This week, doctors in China said it had helped to speed the recovery of a small number of patients who were mildly ill from the coronavirus. But other studies have contradicted those findings, or have been inconclusive.

“Anyone who tells you these drugs work, or don’t work, is not basing that view on science,” said David Juurlink, the head of the division of clinical pharmacology at the University of Toronto. “There’s reason to be optimistic, and there’s also reason to be pessimistic.”....

But hopes for a miracle cure have ballooned as the coronavirus spreads, and Mr. Trump and his allies are not waiting for the clinical trials to finish. An analysis by Media Matters last week found that Fox News had promoted hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine as a coronavirus cure more than 100 times over three days.

31 minutes ago, red321 said:

I would say just what I said above...after being shocked that Obama said something so careless

Exactly. I love the false equivalence between Trump, who says idiotic things every day, to Obama, who was much more thoughtful and calculated with his words (not always in a positive way).

1 minute ago, RallyMo said:

An honest question: given what you know about everything currently happening, what would you like to do right now that you're not free to do?

Personally, nothing. I think the social distancing thing is the best way to go. I don’t want anyone in my family getting it so i am willfully abiding by the guidelines and orders . I do have issue with things like pastors being charged for holding church service. Yes they are irresponsible by doing it but to make laws that prevent lawful assembly is a slippery slope. I get that most Americans are either to selfish or dumb to listen to advice but giving up freedoms shouldn’t be considered a good option

7 minutes ago, Jason said:

Personally, nothing. I think the social distancing thing is the best way to go. I don’t want anyone in my family getting it so i am willfully abiding by the guidelines and orders . I do have issue with things like pastors being charged for holding church service. Yes they are irresponsible by doing it but to make laws that prevent lawful assembly is a slippery slope. I get that most Americans are either to selfish or dumb to listen to advice but giving up freedoms shouldn’t be considered a good option

But what if one of your family came in contact with one of these churchgoers who got the virus by assuming their right to "lawful assembly"? I know I'd be fucking furious. 

1 minute ago, tdawg87 said:

But what if one of your family came in contact with one of these churchgoers who got the virus by assuming their right to "lawful assembly"? I know I'd be fucking furious. 

Don't get me wrong, they are morons and the church is irresponsible for allowing it but making an actual law against it is my issue. Even with a virus we should still have our rights intact. Like I said, it's my unpopular opinion but I will always support maintaining our constitutional rights.