• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Astros punishments: suspensions, firings, team gets over, everyone is pissed.

mmc

12 minutes ago, True Grich said:

Hinch has gone further than anyone else associated with the Astros towards an actual apology and for taking responsibility. Yes, there are holes in his statements - but he did take responsibility, which is more than we can say for the rest of the organization.

5A4C5D27-BDB3-47E9-BEDE-493977F7FC5B.png.ca1b72af00624ef7a3a008d0d8e34d56.png

His apology is utter bullshit. 

6 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

5A4C5D27-BDB3-47E9-BEDE-493977F7FC5B.png.ca1b72af00624ef7a3a008d0d8e34d56.png

His apology is utter bullshit. 

Of course most people are going to focus on that, but watch the whole interview and read the whole article.  Again - he goes further than anyone else in the Astros organization for accepting responsibility. Yes, he doesn't go far enough because he didn't address the buzzers - but he accepted responsibility for the overall misconduct.

I don't really care if he never works in baseball again. He has to live with what happened. I do feel a twinge of empathy for him though. I think he's trying to come clean, but he's definitely guarded which calls into question how genuine he really is in his apology. I get that.  I see that. I just give him a little credit for going further than anyone else. I'm not excusing what he did.

Edited by True Grich

36 minutes ago, True Grich said:

Of course most people are going to focus on that, but watch the whole interview and read the whole article.  Again - he goes further than anyone else in the Astros organization for accepting responsibility. Yes, he doesn't go far enough because he didn't address the buzzers - but he accepted responsibility for the overall misconduct.

I don't really care if he never works in baseball again. He has to live with what happened. I do feel a twinge of empathy for him though. I think he's trying to come clean, but he's definitely guarded which calls into question how genuine he really is in his apology. I get that.  I see that. I just give him a little credit for going further than anyone else. I'm not excusing what he did.

Sure.

And I get that he doesn’t want to self-incriminate. But his evasion is basically an admission that it did not in fact end in 2018.

Also, new report today  makes it clear that their system was used in some form on the road, not just at home - at least in some form. 

he's basically saying that he's sorry he didn't stop it, but he's not going to publicly add additional information to a situation that's already been investigated.  Not only is there self preservation in that, but I imagine there would be legal implications if he did.  Plus, by doing so, he'd basically be saying that mlb did a shitty job of investigating.  

I don't blame him for dancing around that and not opening that can of worms.  

I can respect the opinion of people who think his apology is BS because he decided not to completely blow the lid off the entire situation but I'm of the mind that it's not his responsibility to do so publicly.  Now if he withheld info to MLB in the investigative process which resulted in less evidence to hold certain people accountable then he's still short of doing the right thing.  

If he's truly been forthright about everything to those conducting the investigation then I'm not sure what else he's responsible for.  

4 minutes ago, Lou said:

What legal implications? 

This is 100% self-preservation.  The only thing he's sorry for is getting caught. 

publicly accusing someone of something that no one can prove.  Or giving out more info publicly than he gave to investigators.  And yes, I agree, it's self preservation.  

7 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

publicly accusing someone of something that no one can prove.  Or giving out more info publicly than he gave to investigators.  And yes, I agree, it's self preservation.  

If they did use buzzers, do you really think there is no one that can prove it?  Here's a start, he can. 

Also, he doesn't have to name anyone, he can merely state: "we cheated..."

Ex-Astro Morton regrets 'not doing more' to stop illegal sign-stealing

When the Houston Astros claimed the franchise's first-ever World Series title in 2017, pitcher Charlie Morton was responsible for securing the final out of the historic campaign.

On Saturday, Morton, now a member of the Tampa Bay Rays, said he should have spoken out against the illegal sign-stealing operation that Houston was recently punished for, which involved the use of electronics and the banging of garbage cans to relay signs to hitters.

''I was aware of the banging. You could hear the banging. Being in the dugout, you could hear it. I don't know when it dawned on me but you knew it was going on,'' Morton said, according to Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times.

"Personally, I regret not doing more to stop it. I don't know what that would have entailed. I think the actions would have been somewhat extreme to stop it. That's a hypothetical.''

The 36-year-old right-hander left the Astros for the Rays following the 2018 season. He said that upon his return to Houston for the first time as a visiting player in August 2019, he was confident the illegal sign-stealing had stopped.

Morton also admitted the championship that Houston won in 2017 deserves the scrutiny it's received since the sign-stealing scandal broke.

"I think the perception of that World Series was negatively affected, at minimum,'' Morton added. "I certainly have thought about it a lot because it negatively impacted the game, and people's perception of the game, the fans, opposing players. And that doesn't sit well with me. ... Where I was at the time, I don't know where I was, because what's wrong is wrong. And I'll never be absolved of that.''