• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Useless what if question....

Second Base

Had the Angels done nothing this winter, other than replaced Ausmus and Doug White with Maddon and Callaway, what would the win total be?

Me taking a shot in the dark, I'd say with Trout and Ohtani being healthy, Simmons and Upton too, and Callaway fixing Canning's issues, and the further development of the younger guys like Rengifo, Thaiss and Sandoval, this is probably an 82 win team to begin with. 

But what do you guys think? Also, Merry Christmas ya'll. Happy Jesus' Birthday!

Edited by Second Base

Do I think the Angels did enough this offseason to make the postseason in 2020? That's like asking if Pujols sucks or not. Couldn't even get Cole, Ryu, or Kluber, just to name a few. In Kluber's case, go ahead and point out that he wasn't the elite stud on the mound that he was from 2014-2018 based on a small sample size of innings. Go ahead. Eppler needs to go! Making excuses for the clown is useless at this point. 

1 minute ago, JustATroutFan said:

Do I think the Angels did enough this offseason to make the postseason in 2020? That's like asking if Pujols sucks or not. Couldn't even get Cole, Ryu, or Kluber, just to name a few. In Kluber's case, go ahead and point out that he wasn't the elite stud on the mound that he was from 2014-2018 based on a small sample size of innings. Go ahead. Eppler needs to go! Making excuses for the clown is useless at this point. 

Your username really rings true when you post.

Useless, but entertaining im sure.
The team was obviously not as bad as its record suggests.  As i recall we were projected to be in the mid 80s, slightly above .500, even with a patchwork pitching staff.
The kids developing would help, an obvious loss hurts, if we made no changes aside from the coaching staff, i dont know that it makes that much difference. really, still maybe about a 500 team.

Now, factor in the changes and the work left to be done, there is reason for optimism.

5 minutes ago, JustATroutFan said:

Merry Christmas troll

Angels will have a fun offense, no question. Trout, Rendon, and Ohtani are obviously the big reasons for that. Pujols sucks, anyone with a brain would tell you that. At least on paper, this is somewhat like the 2012 team. A lot of offense but the starting rotation is going to be a problem. You thought the 2012 starting rotation was disappointing? Even with a stud like Ohtani, this year's starting rotation looks like it'll be worse than it was in 2012. 

2 minutes ago, JustATroutFan said:

Angels will have a fun offense, no question. Trout, Rendon, and Ohtani are obviously the big reasons for that. Pujols sucks, anyone with a brain would tell you that. At least on paper, this is somewhat like the 2012 team. A lot of offense but the starting rotation is going to be a problem. You thought the 2012 starting rotation was disappointing? Even with a stud like Ohtani, this year's starting rotation looks like it'll be worse than it was in 2012. 

This rotation is absolutely nothing like 2012’s rotation. 

Just now, Stradling said:

Probably an 82-85 win team last year with health and without the emotional affect of Skaggs death.  I’d say it’s about an 86-88 win team now. 

I would agree this is accurate, although last season I saw the Angels as a .500 team. Clearly they underperformed.

Optimistically there should be some improvement next season with the addition of Rendon.

44 minutes ago, JustATroutFan said:

a christmas story film GIF

Edited by Slegnaac

54 minutes ago, Bronson said:

Your username really rings true when you post.

Eppler sucks, so does Pujols. Even non Angel fans can see that. Username does not have anything to do with it. While getting Rendon was good, overall, Eppler didn't have a good offseason at all. The biggest goal of the offseason was to improve the starting rotation. And not "marginally' either. Improvement, as in by a lot. Just in case you misunderstood. 

43 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Probably an 82-85 win team last year with health and without the emotional affect of Skaggs death.  I’d say it’s about an 86-88 win team now. 

I don't this is the actual way it works, but my thought process is...

No move rotation: Ohtani, Heaney, Canning, Sandoval, Barria, Suarez.

Current rotation: Ohtani, Teheran, Heaney, Bundy, Canning and Sandoval.

Difference: Teheran and Bundy vs. Barria and Suarez = +3 wins.

Throw in Rendon and him being with 4 more wins at 3B than La Stella/Rengifo would've been at 2B with Fletcher being at 3B instead, and I think the end result is +7 in the win category.

My original estimate of the team's actual talent bring 82 wins, it looks like an 89 win team to me right now. Will definitely be in that WC mix with the Rays, A's Twins/Indians, White Sox and Rangers. 

But maybe it's just the Homer in me, I just don't think the White Sox or Rangers are going to be that good. Low 80's win total type of good. Like they'll hover on the outskirts of the race, but not truly contend.

Really hoping for more from the Angels. Still one front of the rotation starter from being a strong factor for one of the WC spots. A mid rotation starter away from being more of a 92 win team.

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

This rotation is absolutely nothing like 2012’s rotation. 

Yep

Weave coming off being Cy Young runner up, Haren coming off 1.5 rock solid seasons here, Santana coming off a solid year including a no-hitter, and the acquisition of Wilson

If Haren and Santana had pitched like they did in 2011, and Wilson didn’t have a much worse second half than accustomed to, they may have been AL West champs with around 95-97 wins in 2012.

2 hours ago, floplag said:

Useless, but entertaining im sure.
The team was obviously not as bad as its record suggests.  As i recall we were projected to be in the mid 80s, slightly above .500, even with a patchwork pitching staff.
The kids developing would help, an obvious loss hurts, if we made no changes aside from the coaching staff, i dont know that it makes that much difference. really, still maybe about a 500 team.

Now, factor in the changes and the work left to be done, there is reason for optimism.

When Flop becomes the perfectly sane, sound reasoning person.... 😄

2 hours ago, JustATroutFan said:

Hard to tell what the rotation looks like when the off-season is not over. You should wait on all complete opinions until Opening Day.

5 hours ago, Stradling said:

With a health Upton, Simmons, and Ohtani, I’d take the high end. I also feel like Bundy and Teheran replacing negative WAR innings should get at a extra 3 wins alone. Rendon replacing (hopefully) Pujols, I’d put us around 88-92. 

Now, inevitable lack of health will likely cost us a few wins, so I’m not at all saying we’ll win 90 games, and without top tier pitching I don’t see them being particularly dominant in the playoffs if they actually make it that far. 

But to answer the initial question of the thread, I’d put them around 85 wins if everyone is healthy.