• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Rate Eppler's Offseason

Rate Eppler's Offseason  

61 members have voted

1. 1. If there are no significant additions

2. 2. Best case scenario

This poll is closed to new votes

I think we should do one more of these “Rate the Offseason” threads before the season starts, maybe after the trade goes through or maybe at the end of spring training and compare the answers.  

I originally gave him a C and said if he signed Ryu it would be an A.  If this trade goes through there is really no way to look at this off season as anything other than an A.  If you wanted to give him a B+ I would get it, an Ace was needed and he fell short.  But by the sheer volume of talent brought in and holes filled (gross) it’s an A.  

50 minutes ago, ettin said:

This is a wildly inaccurate statement.

44 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Jason is the guy that posts on here when bad things happens to let us know bad things happened.  It’s endearing.  

Maybe you guys do not feel disappointed in the way things have gone for them but i certainly do. No, I don’t only post on AW to post bad things about the Angels 

1 minute ago, Jason said:

Maybe you guys do not feel disappointed in the way things have gone for them but i certainly do. No, I don’t only post on AW to post bad things about the Angels 

I am disappointed Jason, I am just saying that your original statement was inaccurate in my opinion. Yes this day blows for the Angels not being able to continue filling out their Opening Day roster.

Just now, ettin said:

I am disappointed Jason, I am just saying that your original statement was inaccurate in my opinion. Yes this day blows for the Angels not being able to continue filling out their Opening Day roster.

When was the last season you weren’t disappointed? It just feels like it’s been a long time since I’ve felt hope going into a season. Are they better than last year? Yes but unfortunately i don’t see the pitching being able to sustain them for a playoff run. Maybe i used too much hyperbole in my original statement but it just feels like they can never get out of this hole of mediocrity

30 minutes ago, Jason said:

When was the last season you weren’t disappointed? It just feels like it’s been a long time since I’ve felt hope going into a season. Are they better than last year? Yes but unfortunately i don’t see the pitching being able to sustain them for a playoff run. Maybe i used too much hyperbole in my original statement but it just feels like they can never get out of this hole of mediocrity

To be perfectly honest I was adequately satisfied with our team composition before all this hub-bub about the Dodgers trade came up and to be honest I thought that last season had some promise if we could get to the Trade Deadline in reasonable shape. But I am one of the eternal optimists around here so take that for what it is worth. I get where you are coming from as it is a perfectly reasonable attitude toward the team the last handful of years.

28 minutes ago, Throwman91 said:

It doesn't help that the Angels have had the undisputed worst contracts of the 21st century, dollar for performance we beat second place almost twice over.

I think the Orioles and Tigers might tend to disagree with you. In fact the Red Sox have carried some crap in recent years too.

I think Eppler has done his best work this off season. I was impressed the way he was able to pivot after not signing Cole.  I appreciate the fact that he hasn't traded away any significant minor league assets. I think he has improved the rotation over all and the offense looks incredibly dynamic.

The telling thing will be if he stays in Anaheim and I'm not necessarily talking about Arte giving him an extension. I will be curious to see if he wants to stay and doesn't take another job. If he's frustrated with Arte at all, he hasn't shown any signs of it, but I wonder. I hope he stays because I like the way he navigates the turbulent waters that is Angels baseball with Arte.

Edited by True Grich

5 hours ago, True Grich said:

I think Eppler has done his best work this off season. I was impressed the way he was able to pivot after not signing Cole.  I appreciate the fact that he hasn't traded away any significant minor league assets. I think he has improved the rotation over all and the offense looks incredibly dynamic.

The telling thing will be if he stays in Anaheim and I'm not necessarily talking about Arte giving him an extension. I will be curious to see if he wants to stay and doesn't take another job. If he's frustrated with Arte at all, he hasn't shown any signs of it, but I wonder. I hope he stays because I like the way he navigates the turbulent waters that is Angels baseball with Arte.

Completely agree with this. I think, especially in light of how this trade didn’t happen, that Eppler is creative and a smart baseball mind. He has probably had other solutions nixed by the rea power behind the org, Arte. 

In the last press conference we got a hint of this. Arte watched Rendon since college and once he became available Arte wanted him no matter what. Arte may not be as foolish as the 1980’s Steinbrenners but he has shades of that. 

Eppler deserves an extension no matter how the 2020 season turns out.