• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Rate Eppler's Offseason

Rate Eppler's Offseason  

61 members have voted

1. 1. If there are no significant additions

2. 2. Best case scenario

This poll is closed to new votes

I know it's too early to have a final vote but I want to see where everyone is at right now.

There are two questions here, how do you rate the offseason thus far assuming there are no significant additions ahead and that this is essentially the team we walk into spring training with. The second question is, what is your best case scenario grade that is still possible given a series of realistic moves.

Feel free to explain what moves are necessary to bridge the gap from your current grade to your best case scenario grade. 

Without question, the most obvious area for improvement is the pitching.  Although, to this point in the off season, Eppler has not yet signed an impact pitcher.  We can argue the reasons for this omission but the reality remains.  I believe Eppler has addressed the pitching in ways that will not be apparent until the season starts.  Firing White helps the pitching.  Hiring a new experienced pitching coach helps the pitching even more.  I look at the 2019 season and wonder what could have been if someone had the ability to teach the young pitchers the things they needed for them to have a chance.  It looked to me that all of the young pitchers were doing the best they could without any guidance.

Sometimes the best move is the one not taken.  I think Sandoval could be the controllable pitcher the Angels are looking for in a trade.  I believe that for 2020, Heaney/Canning and Ohtani could be the pitchers needed to match up with the opposing teams 1-2.  I think the Angels will be fine for the beginning of the season.  I think that there will be opportunities for better trading conditions once the season starts as teams experience injuries.  Trading now vs later is really the question.  In 2020, trading later seems like a better option.

2 minutes ago, SoPas Angel said:

I would love to hear what the best-case scenario is that would land Eppler an A. 

Signing Cole for 8/280 and Rendon for 6/240.  Trading for 1 yr of Betts and keeping Adell, Marsh, Canning and Sandoval.  Having Pujols retire.

15 minutes ago, eligrba said:

Signing Cole for 8/280 and Rendon for 6/240.  Trading for 1 yr of Betts and keeping Adell, Marsh, Canning and Sandoval.  Having Pujols retire.

That would have been so amazing that they would have had to create a whole new grade above A. 

However, the question was for the best-case scenario grade "that is still possible."

1 minute ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

And reasonable... Expecting Pujols to retire is beyond the scope of this poll.

You mean "You still have a chance to keep your career average at .300 if you just walk away from 59 millions dollars" won't cut it?

No off-season where you acquire Rendon deserves anything less than a B grade.

The rotation has already been significantly upgraded. Bundy and Teheran are a huge improvement over Harvey and Cahill. A 4.5 ERA translates into 3 runs every 6 innings. The Angels offense can cover that.

If Eppler signs Ryu, and acquires a decent catcher, it's an A+ off-season.

1 minute ago, BackUpTheTruck said:

No off-season where you acquire Rendon deserves anything less than a B grade.

The rotation has already been significantly upgraded. Bundy and Teheran are a huge improvement over Harvey and Cahill. A 4.5 ERA translates into 3 runs every 6 innings. The Angels offense can cover that.

If Eppler signs Ryu, and acquires a decent catcher, it's an A+ off-season.

Yeah but Arte signed Rendon

30 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

I don’t get it best case scenario? Well if best case scenario then it be an A+ because it’s the best case. As of right now it’s a C the thing we’ve desperately needed was top starting pitching and right now we have not acquired it. 

I don't think a realistic best case scenario has to be an A. Sure anything could happen but we aren't realistically trading for Syndergard and giving up dick for him. Given the moves reasonably available to Eppler, what do you see as the best case scenario?

If he pulls off a trade to land an ace caliber pitcher without giving up Adell and Canning, I'd say it's an A off season.

If he signs Ryu for less than 3 years (without overpaying of course) or trades for #2,#3 pitcher, maybe B.

If he starts the season with current starting rotation, it is an F cuz Arte and Eppler was well aware of this team's problems in starting rotation and said they will invest to improve it and all they got are Bundy and Teheran.