• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Make a deal already

Dtwncbad

18 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Also, quite funny you decide to mention a useless hypothetical when you created a thread about being willing to trade top prospects for hypothetical top of the rotation starters.

You can call it hypothetical to trade for a really good high quality starter if you want, but we know the Angels have already tried to do it.  So it sure doesn’t seem hard to believe they are still trying.  And my position is about being willing to pay the price.

And for the record, I don’t view trading Marsh and another top 10 prospect and some other throw in as “gutting” the farm.

Gutting the farm would be to trade Adell and two other top 10 prospects.

Thats just my opinion.

Just now, Second Base said:

Maybe it's just me, but I'd just as soon keep the prospect and sign both Ryu and Keuchel. Granted that adds 40 million in payroll, but it also allows the team to use Bundy in the 5th starter role he's well designed for.

I could be mostly satisfied with this too.  If they do it.  But I see no Indication that they will sign both of these guys.  It would t be my first choice but I could see how it would be prudent to go with it.

2 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

You can call it hypothetical to trade for a really good high quality starter if you want, but we know the Angels have already tried to do it.  So it sure doesn’t seem hard to believe they are still trying.  And my position is about being willing to pay the price.

And for the record, I don’t view trading Marsh and another top 10 prospect and some other throw in as “gutting” the farm.

Gutting the farm would be to trade Adell and two other top 10 prospects.

Thats just my opinion.

Ok, so who do you view as a top of the rotation starter that is available in a trade?  That way we aren’t speaking in hypotheticals.  

1 minute ago, Dtwncbad said:

I could be mostly satisfied with this too.  If they do it.  But I see no Indication that they will sign both of these guys.  It would t be my first choice but I could see how it would be prudent to go with it.

The way I see it, while it does add 40 million in payroll, it's justified because it doesn't cost a draft pick. If Will Wilson has a value of 13 million to the Giants, a 3rd round pick like Jack Kochanowicz or Aaron Hernandez is easily worth 5-6.

6 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Ok, so who do you view as a top of the rotation starter that is available in a trade?  That way we aren’t speaking in hypotheticals.  

Strad, First off 93% of the posts on this board are discussions on hopes and hypotheticals, where we fans are forced to live in ignorance because we can’t actually listen to Epplers phone calls.  So get off the high horse suddenly expecting an individual thread be devoid of hypotheticals.

So there is no reason for me to name pitchers I believe to be available.

The post is about hoping the Angels are not missing opportunities because they don’t want to part with the right number of prospects it takes to address the problem.

1 minute ago, Dtwncbad said:

Strad, First off 93% of the posts on this board are discussions on hopes and hypotheticals, where we fans are forced to live in ignorance because we can’t actually listen to Epplers phone calls.  So get off the high horse suddenly expecting an individual thread be devoid of hypotheticals.

So there is no reason for me to name pitchers I believe to be available.

The post is about hoping the Angels are not missing opportunities because they don’t want to part with the right number of prospects it takes to address the problem.

1 hour ago, Dtwncbad said:

A useless hypothetical considering Kluber went for a package less than that.

I agree

16 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Can we even afford that?

I think so. Consensus suggests that they still have 30-35 million to spend. This would go over budget, but I think bottom line is it would create a more competitive team which means more butts in the seats, playoffs, etc...and preserves draft picks. 

So I think spending the extra 5-10 million is ultimately offset.

7 minutes ago, Second Base said:

I think so. Consensus suggests that they still have 30-35 million to spend. This would go over budget, but I think bottom line is it would create a more competitive team which means more butts in the seats, playoffs, etc...and preserves draft picks. 

So I think spending the extra 5-10 million is ultimately offset.

My bad, just read the post from Fletcher saying they could still spend around $30M.

Would be great to see. Hypothetically speaking they could afford Keuchel at $20M, Contreras at $4.5M and Jon Gray at $5.6M. Total of $30.1M. Though the farm would be depleted if we traded for both Contreras and Gray in separate trades.

9 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

My bad, just read the post from Fletcher saying they could still spend around $30M.

Would be great to see. Hypothetically speaking they could afford Keuchel at $20M, Contreras at $4.5M and Jon Gray at $5.6M. Total of $30.1M. Though the farm would be depleted if we traded for both Contreras and Gray in separate trades.

Including someone like Marsh for Gray would be worth it, though (imo).

I think you can forget about the idea of a "front line starter", that's not what were shopping for based on the names being tossed around.  That more or less went out the window when we didn't land Kluber.

The other names being discussed are not what you would call front line, well maybe for us they would be but not in general.  Gray, Boyd, those kinds of names are for me not in that same class even though they would step into the front of our rotation perhaps.  Plus i suspect the costs will be hard to swallow.

Pair one of those with Kuechel well be in good shape but im really worried thats not moving seemingly either so its possible we are all way off base for what Eppler is actually doing. 

2 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

Those guys are the results of impatience and lack of discipline and they were the wrong players to target.  None of my position has anything to do with being stupid and targeting the wrong player.  It has to do with recognizing that the right target (high quality pitching) has a high price, and being willing to pay the market price for what you actually need.

You want a Porsche, you pay for a Porsche.

They were the players who met the perceived needs of the team at the time.

I like Keuchel, and he would fit well with the Angels defensive alignment, however, he's one other I don't think I'd overpay on. This is simply because the upside there is non-existent and the Angels need top of the rotation pitching worse than mid rotation pitching. 

I believe in paying Keuchel what he's worth in this market. But I believe that overpaying for Ryu is more of a necessity than the market v price of Keuchel. 

Just as an example, a fair market value for Ryu is probably 3 years, 60 million. I'd be willing to pay 4 years and 85 million because there is a reasonable chance he's an ace, if he's healthy, and he's been healthy for a little bit now. 

Fair market for Keuchel, is probably 3 years 50 million. And the most I'm willing to pay is just that.

Ryu is obviously the bigger gamble. You're either going to get a starter worth 5 wins a year, or nothing due to injury. Keuchel, he'll be with 2-3 wins. Not much more or less. 

1 hour ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Could and will are very different.