• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Mike Moustakas signs with the Reds (4 years, $64 million)

mmc

Good money spent by the Reds as they needed a legit power bat in that lineup and fill a 2B hole. The Reds rotation is stacked, but they wanted to add some offense. They're going to give the NL Central teams a run for their money, or should Insay division. 

Just like it will be good money spent by the Angels if they go all in on starting pitching.

31 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

Did the Angels make a run at Moose a couple years ago? I heard that on MLB Network ... couldn’t get it done so signed Cozart instead 😠 

Boras is his agent and the Halos probably didn’t want to pay for what he was asking for Moose at the time.

1 hour ago, Troll Daddy said:

So the Boras effect ... caused Eppler to throw away $38M on Cozart

Moustakas is nothing for us to worry about missing out on. We can easily make up for his production in the aggregate with Fletcher, La Stella, Rengifo and Cozart. 

tenor (13).gif

Edited by Calzone 2

Third Base Blind Player Comparison for Last Three Seasons (2017-2019):

Player A: 106 wRC+, UZR/150 of 6.2

Player B: 110 wRC+, UZR/150 of -3.1

Which one would you take?

Player B is Mike Moustakas

Player A is Travis Shaw

27 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Cozart had a 114 OPS+ (park adjusted) and had averaged 3 fWAR in the 3 years before the Angels signed him.

He dove for a ball and landed wrong on his shoulder. 

That 3 year average is obviously heavily influenced by the extreme outlier year of 2017. 

EDIT: From 2014-2016, his OPS+ was 81 and he averaged 1.5 fWAR. 

51 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

That 3 year average is obviously heavily influenced by the extreme outlier year of 2017. 

EDIT: From 2014-2016, his OPS+ was 81 and he averaged 1.5 fWAR. 

Well, 2017 actually happened. It wasn’t just a hot month. It was a whole season. And it counts. If you think that doesn’t count for someone’s value heading into free agency, I don’t know what to tell you. 

Shall we look up Gerrit Cole’s 2015-17 and try to sign him based on that? Or even his 2016-18?

2 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Well, 2017 actually happened. It wasn’t just a hot month. It was a whole season. And it counts. If you think that doesn’t count for someone’s value heading into free agency, I don’t know what to tell you. 

Shall we look up Gerrit Cole’s 2015-17 and try to sign him based on that? Or even his 2016-18?

You're the one who gave a 3-year average.  My point is that it's skewed by an outlier year.  If teams are basing their decisions on an outlier year, more often than not, they're going to be disappointed.

9 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

You're the one who gave a 3-year average.  My point is that it's skewed by an outlier year.  If teams are basing their decisions on an outlier year, more often than not, they're going to be disappointed.

A 3-year average is a pretty standard industry window to use to measure a players value. And I think his salary was adjusted based on it being an outlier. If he had a 140 OPS for all 3 years he’d have gotten $20M instead of $13M. 

(Edit: Zack Wheeler says hello.)

Edited by Jeff Fletcher

6 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Cozart is exactly what is wrong/right with free agency. He was mediocre at best similar to GMJ he "took" something had an amazing last year on his contract before hitting free agency. Then cashed in got lazy got hurt and didn't care the end. Cozart got his money good for him. But it is what it is. 

7 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

Cozart is exactly what is wrong/right with free agency. He was mediocre at best similar to GMJ he "took" something had an amazing last year on his contract before hitting free agency. Then cashed in got lazy got hurt and didn't care the end. Cozart got his money good for him. But it is what it is. 

Kevin you should get a full return for that Clairvoyance headset you bought online.