• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Non-Tender Deadline Thread

totdprods

1 minute ago, mulwin444 said:

Not seeing a whole lot of potential difference makers on that list.

I am excited that the Angels are to the point where a list of non-tender candidates is no longer an important consideration.  This organization has come a long ways since the Dipoto debacle. 

They just need to sign Cole and Wheeler.

5 minutes ago, eligrba said:

I am excited that the Angels are to the point where a list of non-tender candidates is no longer an important consideration.  This organization has come a long ways since the Dipoto debacle. 

They just need to sign Cole and Wheeler.

Yeah, the catching options, where we have a need, is not offering anything attractive.  Guys like Lamb and Shaw were good at one point but don't offer enough of a difference to take the risk.  The SP options offer nothing and the RP options can be likely matched internally.

Yeah, we're in a good place in that regard.

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

A new batch of free agents will hit the market soon...here’s the list of some candidates. Anyone of interest?

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/11/2019-non-tender-candidates-mlb-2019.html

47 minutes ago, mulwin444 said:

Not seeing a whole lot of potential difference makers on that list.

33 minutes ago, mulwin444 said:

Yeah, the catching options, where we have a need, is not offering anything attractive.  Guys like Lamb and Shaw were good at one point but don't offer enough of a difference to take the risk.  The SP options offer nothing and the RP options can be likely matched internally.

Yeah, we're in a good place in that regard.

Actually there are a few catching options Eppler might have serious interest in (Maile, Leon, and Murphy, maybe Wolters too but the other three have defensive value). I show some of the 'why' in the Catcher article of the Primer Series which should be out in about 10-14 days.

6 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Jake Lamb, Jose Peraza, Travis Shaw, Tony Wolters, Jose Urena and Chris Devenski are all interesting names.

I might take a flyer on Devenski. That guy was basically Scot Shields for a year and a half. 

Basically a carbon copy of the list I was gonna put, with Urena, Phegley, and potentially Gausman also of interest.

Profar, Villar, and Hernandez are on my radar if we have to trade infielders for pitching help. Souza and Pillar could be interesting too - I could see a scenario where a team like Cincinnati, Chicago,  Baltimore, or Pittsburgh talk DeSclafani, Quintana, Bundy, or Archer to the Angels with some interest in Goodwin, maybe another piece like Barria.

Edited by totdprods

4 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Basically a carbon copy of the list I was gonna put, with Urena, Phegley, and potentially Gausman also of interest.

Profar, Villar, and Hernandez are on my radar if we have to trade infielders for pitching help. Souza and Pillar could be interesting too - I could see a scenario where a team like Cincinnati, Chicago,  Baltimore, or Pittsburgh talk DeSclafani, Quintana, Bundy, or Archer to the Angels with some interest in Goodwin, maybe another piece like Barria.

I forgot about Gausman, I'd definitely be interested there. So much unrealized potential, similar to Bundy. 

I do know that at some point the Angels staff did their homework on Archer. So the team was interested to a degree. I don't know how interested or if talks went anywhere. 

10 minutes ago, Second Base said:

I forgot about Gausman, I'd definitely be interested there. So much unrealized potential, similar to Bundy. 

I do know that at some point the Angels staff did their homework on Archer. So the team was interested to a degree. I don't know how interested or if talks went anywhere. 

I too think Archer would be a good buy-low, and also agree Gausman could have some potential there. Atlanta had him looking great when they acquired him before he fell apart again last year. Might be an interesting reliever going forward. 

Pittsburgh is hard to assess right now - will they go full rebuild or just retool? I like the idea of shopping Goodwin to the Cubs or Reds for Quintana or DeSclafani because both teams ultimately want to compete in 2020, Goodwin helps them now unlike a prospect. The Angels would then just have to shop for a 1-yr stopgap (Kole? Adam Jones? Pillar? Souza?) who could shift to 4th OF/1B when Adell ascends. 

2 hours ago, totdprods said:

I too think Archer would be a good buy-low, and also agree Gausman could have some potential there. Atlanta had him looking great when they acquired him before he fell apart again last year. Might be an interesting reliever going forward. 

Pittsburgh is hard to assess right now - will they go full rebuild or just retool? I like the idea of shopping Goodwin to the Cubs or Reds for Quintana or DeSclafani because both teams ultimately want to compete in 2020, Goodwin helps them now unlike a prospect. The Angels would then just have to shop for a 1-yr stopgap (Kole? Adam Jones? Pillar? Souza?) who could shift to 4th OF/1B when Adell ascends. 

My thoughts EXACTLY on Gausman and Archer. I'd love to see what Gausman's velocity does in relief. It's so common to see starters find success in that role now. Ian Kennedy and Drew Pomeranz just last year. Wade Davis and a hundred others before that. 

I get the feeling that after losing that Archer trade and failing to compete last year, and getting a new GM and manager, Pittsburgh will go full rebuild. I think they'll trade Marte at his high value, and if anyone offers anything above low value on Archer, they'll make that deal too.

I am not sure Brian Goodwin will have value to a team like the Cubs, who will be looking to win their division. They're going to want someone more proven. I could see him going to the Reds because they're gambling right now, but I'm not sure Cincinnati will subtract from that rotation they've been building. 

But I would not hesitate to deal Brian Goodwin at this point if a team is willing to value him as a starting outfielder with multiple years of team control left. As you said, one year stop gaps are aplenty on the market right now, and Adell should be ready soon. 

My questions would be, is there a team willing to value Brian Goodwin like that?

9 minutes ago, Second Base said:

I am not sure Brian Goodwin will have value to a team like the Cubs, who will be looking to win their division. They're going to want someone more proven. I could see him going to the Reds because they're gambling right now, but I'm not sure Cincinnati will subtract from that rotation they've been building. 

For both those teams, I see it revolving around the other moves they make. Goodwin is more of a supplemental/platoon OF for the Cubs, but freed up money from moving Quintana could be used for other adds - such as a 2B.

Same for Cincy, if they wind up signing a SP or two like they’re expected to do, flipping FA to be DeSclafani for a controllable OF like Goodwin makes a lot of sense. The Angels could then go stopgap FA in RF. La Stella could sub in for Goodwin on some of these ideas too, but being that he’s also in his walk year, it makes it less feasible. 

4 hours ago, totdprods said:

For both those teams, I see it revolving around the other moves they make. Goodwin is more of a supplemental/platoon OF for the Cubs, but freed up money from moving Quintana could be used for other adds - such as a 2B.

Same for Cincy, if they wind up signing a SP or two like they’re expected to do, flipping FA to be DeSclafani for a controllable OF like Goodwin makes a lot of sense. The Angels could then go stopgap FA in RF. La Stella could sub in for Goodwin on some of these ideas too, but being that he’s also in his walk year, it makes it less feasible. 

Animated GIF

Interesting, particularly in Chicago's case. Let's say they are dangling Contreras, and their need for financial flexibility is indeed the case that the media has made it to be. We might be able to match up on a much larger trade.

Goodwin, Fletcher and a lottery ticket for their empty farm system in Stiward Aquino in return for Jose Quintana and Willson Contreras. They still have a starting catcher in Caratini, they free up 10.5 million, and get themselves a starting 2B in David Fletcher, which combined with Baez would make the best defensive middle infield unit in the NL, and a starting outfielder or at the very least a platoon outfielder in Brian Goodwin.

The Angels get a 3rd starter on a one year deal, and get an all-star starting catcher with 3 years of control. I mean at that point you might as well claim Villar and put him at 2B and use Rengifo as the utility infielder, it if you're lucky, Cozart will love healthy in which case he's the utility infielder and Rengifo gets every day at bats in AAA.

The offense gets a ton better with Contreras and Villar and the pitching staff is improved. My only sure would be the cost I think. We need to free up money for more than Gerrit Cole.

Of those non-tendered or released so far, Steven Souza, Taijuan Walker, Jose Peraza, Danny Hultzen, Domingo Santana, Yolmer Sanchez, Jonathan Villar, Caleb Frare, Aaron Sanchez, and Blake Treinen are all of interest to me for varying reasons. 

Curious if we’ll see a surprising non-tender or two from the Angels. Bedrosian? Stassi? Noe?

Edited by totdprods