• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Jordyn Adams vs Brandon Marsh

Troll Daddy

I mean I think both are fun prospects but Brandon Marsh is more valuable right now and therefore he’s the guy I’d keep.  Adams has a nice tool set but is still very much an undeveloped player.  Marsh is pretty close to being a big leaguer. 

also, just based on the publications it seems that if Marsh is as good as we in Angels land think, they aren’t going to get what they should for him.  🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by UndertheHalo

15 minutes ago, RBM said:

We should remember the premise here was either/or. Not neither or both.

It’s obvious to keep Marsh over Adams at this stage of their development. The author of the thread thought Adams would be in the Majors in 2021. He will be in A ball this year so he doesn’t project to the majors until 2022 or 2023. So the entire premise is flawed.

I hope we don’t trade either of them this offseason but Marsh has more value now. 

I meant to say 2023 or sooner, chill 😂 I don’t see Marsh as untouchable. Justin Upton is blocking him for now. I wasn’t advocating trading either one  ... just looking for some opinions.

8 minutes ago, RBM said:

We should remember the premise here was either/or. Not neither or both.

It’s obvious to keep Marsh over Adams at this stage of their development. The author of the thread thought Adams would be in the Majors in 2021. He will be in A ball this year so he doesn’t project to the majors until 2022 or 2023. So the entire premise is flawed.

I hope we don’t trade either of them this offseason but Marsh has more value now. 

I actually think it's an interesting topic that brings up a point that having Adams may make Marsh expendable.

I know no one wants to trade him. I don't want to trade him. But he has a ton of value right now, whereas Adams doesn't. Now both could significantly increase their value over the course of the 2020 season, but I think it's safe to say a package centered around Marsh RIGHT NOW, could get us just about any pitcher we want. Adams could be a dud. Or he could be better than Adell. We don't know yet. But we have Upton as "insurance" as he's under control for three more seasons. By then, Adams could be the number 1 prospect in baseball, or he could have flamed out in AA, or Deveaux took huge steps forward and became our top OF prospect. There's a lot of time.

I'm playing devil's advocate here, mostly. I do not want to trade Marsh. But if it comes to it, I could see it happening. Unfortunately if we somehow miss out on Cole and Wheeler, it could be our only option.

There's just no need to trade Marsh, not unless a team presents Eppler with an offer he can't refuse - like a Forrest Whitley. By the time Adams is ready, the Angels will have a better sense of who they've got in Marsh (and Adell), and can make their decisions based on that. In other words, they have 2-3 full years to figure out what to do with Adams.

Now if Eppler flubs free agency completely, even more so do you not want to panic and trade young talent away. Meaning, lets say he missed out on Cole, Wheeler, etc, and has to settle for something like Gibson/Hamels. Then you double down on building from within, and re-focus on 2022 and beyond. That includes keeping your higher end talent.

So again, regardless of which path forward the Angels take, unless they're presenting with a high ceiling, young pitcher who is at least close to major league ready, I don't think Marsh will be traded. If he wants to go after Ray or Boyd he can probably assemble a package that doesn't include any of the "triumvirate" (Adell, Marsh, Adams).

^An addendum. If they miss out on Cole, Wheeler, etc, I don't think the right way to go is Gibson/Hamels, but go cheap and look to 2021 and beyond. The benefit of Cole and Wheeler (and Odorizzi, Strasburg) is that they should be good for the next 4-5 years, so they'll be part of the rising homegrown talent. Hamels may only have a year or two left, and Gibson is pretty much the definition of a "veteran #4." Both could be useful as rotation fillers over the next couple years, but that's about it.