• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Which young guys have futures?

m0nkey

The Angels have had to use a bunch of young guys to fill out their roster, but none have looked that good at the plate or on the mound. I'm not a scout but guys like Rengifo, Thaiss, Hermosillo (I know, 80 career PAs), Ward, Barria, Suarez, etc. just don't look all that good.  Sandoval and Canning have shown flashes of what they can be, and maybe I'm forgetting others.  Who of the group is going to have a role on a playoff level team?

Again injuries and someone dying have thrust these guys into the majors before they're ready, but it's the middle of September and there's nothing else going on.

Rengifo, Canning, Thaiss, Suarez, Sandoval can all have impact in the playoffs. They are all really young kids. And by young I mean that Rengifo and Sandoval are only 22 and Suarez is 21. Dude just took his first legal drink not that long ago.

Just remember Trout hit .220 in his first taste of baseball in 2011. Even the greatest player on the planet came up and, in a way, sucked. You can't expect them to immediately have success. There are player that do come up on fire. Just look at the Dodgers' rookies coming up and playing well. You've also got to keep in mind that their team is 100x better than ours and the success of other players is absolutely rubbing off on the rooks. 

To sum it up they all have potential futures. They just need time and chances to get used to it. This is the perfect season to let it happen.

Pretty much all of them to some capacity. The only guy I question is Suarez. He's only 21 but holy shit he has been putrid. I have seen nothing good from him at all. He needs probably another two years in the minors before he's ready to make an impact, if he does at all.

I think Barria has the command and the stuff to be a good back-end option. He's young too so he has time to figure it out. Sandoval could very well be a decent #3 starter. More than likely he ends up a 4-5 guy but he should be a factor either next year or 2021. Canning is fine as long as he's healthy.

Rengifo is another question mark but I do think he'll be a good utility player. Maybe like a Maicer Izturis type.

Ward seems like a AAAA guy. Thaiss could be Robb Quinlan. 

5 minutes ago, RBM said:

Of the players who were promoted this year I think Canning, Rengifo and Sandoval have some real potential upside.

Suarez needs more time but I'm don't think so. Thaiss may fight himself into a Robb Quinlan role. Walsh is a nice story but I'm not sure it will equate to an MLB career. 

Who knows, I hope they all contribute in 2020.

I’m generally concerned about Canning’s early health issues. A major league season is a long marathon. He really didn’t have much mileage on his arm when they shut him down. Hopefully strength and conditioning will help him moving forward.  

19 hours ago, Calzone 2 said:

I’m generally concerned about Canning’s early health issues. A major league season is a long marathon. He really didn’t have much mileage on his arm when they shut him down. Hopefully strength and conditioning will help him moving forward.  

I think you have to be worried about any pitcher who the Angels have or acquire. This is the reason you need playable depth in the minors. 

6 minutes ago, fanfromday1 said:

I wouldn't miss any of them if they were either DFA'ed, released, or traded. We need better quality players than what they offer. When most of them came up this year we were a .500 team, now we're 19 games under .500 and falling (actually crashing). They are either way too green, or way to over-rated.

Yea, we should release all the young guys that are too green, brilliant!  

Ward: I think the reason the Angels haven't given him much of a shot is that he doesn't really have a position. His 3B defense sucks, bat probably not good enough for corner outfield or 1B. He could be a useful bench player if he can play C again. Some chance of being a solid hitter in the majors, but probably not with the Angels. A good trade candidate for a rebuilding team.

Walsh: Like Ward his bat probably isn't good enough to warrant regular playing time at a position he can play. Still, his two-way status will probably earn him a solid bench career and also like Ward, he might catch on as a decent regular on another team. Both of these guys are the type of players that if you're a rebuilding team, you target in trades because they won't cost that much to get but could end up being 2-3 WAR regulars.

Thaiss: Like Ward/Walsh, but slightly higher upside. Strangely enough, his main contender for a starting gig on the Angels might be Brandon Marsh, if Marsh pushes Upton to 1B. But Thaiss is vying for 3B (vs. La Stella/Fletcher) and 1B (vs. Pujols/Ward/Walsh/Upton). He could end up earning a role or he could be traded.

Hermosillo: He's got "ideal 4th outfielder" written all over him - if he can just manage to hit .250 or so, which I think he can. Ultimately I like him better in that role than Goodwin due to better defense, but Goodwin is a better choice until the Angels have three healthy starters.

Fletcher: He's established himself as a solid 3+ fWAR player, with average offense and excellent defense - a great player to have on your roster. I think he'll have some seasons where he hits over .300 and looks even better. He won't be a star but he's a very nice "complementary player."

Rengifo: Hard to say. I think he's at least a very good utility player, but I think he has a couple more levels of potential to tap and could sneak up on us as a 4 WAR player.

Barria/Suarez: I see these two in a similar fashion: back-end starters/long relievers. Suarez has higher upside, but maybe not as a starter. If the Angels are patient he could develop into a very good reliever.

Sandoval: After Canning, he seems to have the best upside of the young starters. I like the flashes I've seen and see at least a #4-5, maybe a #3 if everything breaks right.

Canning: I don't see the fringe ace some were hoping for, but he could turn into a solid #3 or at least a very good #4.

So all things tolled, not a lot of high-end talent, but a solid cohort with some filling out the next contending Angels team.

1 minute ago, Angelsjunky said:

Ward: I think the reason the Angels haven't given him much of a shot is that he doesn't really have a position. His 3B defense sucks, bat probably not good enough for corner outfield or 1B. He could be a useful bench player if he can play C again. Outside chance of being a solid hitter in the majors, but probably not with the Angels.

Walsh: Like Ward his bat probably isn't good enough to warrant regular playing time at a position he can play. Still, his two-way status will probably earn him a solid bench career and also like Ward, he might catch on as a decent starter on another team. Both of these guys are the type of players that if you're a rebuilding team, you target in trades because they won't cost that much to get.

Thaiss: Like Ward/Walsh, but slightly higher upside. Strangely enough, his main contender for a starting gig on the Angels might be Brandon Marsh, if Marsh pushes Upton to 1B. But Thaiss is vying for 3B (vs. La Stella/Fletcher) and 1B (vs. Pujols/Ward/Walsh/Upton). He could end up earning a role or he could be traded.

Hermosillo: He's got "ideal 4th outfielder" written all over him - if he can just manage to hit .250 or so, which I think he can. Ultimately I like him better in that role than Goodwin due to better defense, but Goodwin is a better choice until the Angels have three healthy starters.

Fletcher: He's established himself as a solid 3+ fWAR player, with average offense and excellent defense - a great player to have on your roster. I think he'll have some seasons where he hits over .300 and looks even better. He won't be a star but he's a very nice "complementary player."

Rengifo: Hard to say. I think he's at least a very good utility player, but I think he has a couple more levels of potential to tap and could sneak up on us as a 4 WAR player.

Barria/Suarez: I see these two in a similar fashion: back-end starters/long relievers. Suarez has higher upside, but maybe not as a starter. If the Angels are patient he could develop into a very good reliever.

Sandoval: After Canning, he seems to have the best upside of the young starters. I like the flashes I've seen and see at least a #4-5, maybe a #3 if everything breaks right.

Canning: I don't see the fringe ace some were hoping for, but he could turn into a solid #3 or at least a very good #4.

So all things tolled, not a lot of high-end talent, but a solid cohort with some filling out the next contending Angels team.

This is my assessment as well.  I am not very high on Suarez but he is still young, as long as he can keep developing he should be fine.

On 9/18/2019 at 8:45 AM, m0nkey said:

The Angels have had to use a bunch of young guys to fill out their roster, but none have looked that good at the plate or on the mound. I'm not a scout but guys like Rengifo, Thaiss, Hermosillo (I know, 80 career PAs), Ward, Barria, Suarez, etc. just don't look all that good.  Sandoval and Canning have shown flashes of what they can be, and maybe I'm forgetting others.  Who of the group is going to have a role on a playoff level team?

Again injuries and someone dying have thrust these guys into the majors before they're ready, but it's the middle of September and there's nothing else going on.

Rengifo: Everyday starting middle infielder.

Thaiss: Borderline starting 1B/3B.

Hermosillo: Borderline starting OF, better suited as a dynamic 4th OF.

Ward: Corner outfielder and infielder. Bench depth. Good to have though as a per bat off the bench that can pinch run and fill in as a 3rd catcher.

Barria: Better than a back end starter, but not quite mid rotation. So like #4 starter.

Suarez: Back end starter or solid bullpen option because he can generate swings and misses.

Sandoval: If he can maintain velocity, mid rotation starter. If not, back end guy. #4 starter.

Canning: #2/3 starter if he stays healthy.