• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Ken Rosenthal: Why Mike Trout should still be a lock for AL MVP

Chuck

Finishing on a hot streak, especially  with a playoff contender/lock would be the ideal way to solidify positive impressions for voters.

At some point, differentiating between the minutiae of the stats becomes secondary. Most MVP candidates have pretty impressive stats. Some more so in some categories, others in different areas. Comparisons based on decimal points and numbers factor in of course. But arguments are always made that legitimize anyone's point of view. 

The hilites of a player going well down the stretch, and the success of a winning team also shape perceptions. 

If Trout doesn't win, you can be sure that it will be because of his injury/absence and dismal team performance. 

10 minutes ago, happybat4 said:

Bregaman now has an 8 War. He will be close to passing Trout with 5 games left. Trout is at 8.3

Basically gonna need a homerun in every game to do it. Don't think he will get the....oh the last 4 games are against the Angels yeah he's gonna finish with 9 WAR.

It is going to be close, especially if Bregman has a good last few games. Once you get to +/- 0.5 WAR, the difference is insignificant. The games played is tricky, because some will give Bregman the edge for playing ~20 more games, while others will point out that Trout provided equal or slightly better value but in far fewer games. Maybe that evens out. But it really might come down to these last few games. 

Yelich vs. Bellinger is also close, but I think Bellinger will win it due to the big gap in BR WAR and maybe the LA effect (Bellinger's at 8.5, Yelich at 7.2; Fangraphs has Yelich at 7.8, Bell at 7.4). 

I'm also reminded of 2015, when Trout had the overall better numbers, but Donaldson won it. It was close enough (9.3 to 8.7 fWAR) that I think the voters were justified to give it to Donaldson, even if I think Trout should have won.