• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Ken Rosenthal: Why Mike Trout should still be a lock for AL MVP

Chuck

Seems like Trout will win and it won't be close.  It probably won't be unanimous. 

30 voters is such a small number, though and weird things can happen with that small of a sample size. Never know who you are gonna get with those 30.   I think they should increase the number of voters.   

I guess I don’t get how an unbiased person can’t even consider the possibility.  Bregman played more games st more positions covering for multiple injured people.  He will have more hits, doubles, walks, less strikeouts, and as of right now a higher batting average.  trout just has more homers and therefore higher ops. If Bregman finishes strong and closes the war gap an argument needs to at least be considered and not panned.  But no one here will consider a rational argument. 

1 minute ago, thebloob said:

I guess I don’t get how an unbiased person can’t even consider the possibility.  Bregman played more games st more positions covering for multiple injured people.  He will have more hits, doubles, walks, less strikeouts, and as of right now a higher batting average.  trout just has more homers and therefore higher ops. If Bregman finishes strong and closes the war gap an argument needs to at least be considered and not panned.  But no one here will consider a rational argument. 

That's kind of a bold claim. And it's wrong.

I honestly don't think he will win it, and I'm not alone in that thought.

Regardless, you're on an Angels fan website. Why the hell wouldn't we be biased towards our best player?

I've considered the possibility of Bregman being named MVP. When it was first announced Trout would miss the last two weeks, I was a little concerned.  Look around though. Almost nobody but Astros people are arguing Bregman.  He's being considered, but he's gonna fall short

45 minutes ago, ScottT said:

I've considered the possibility of Bregman being named MVP. When it was first announced Trout would miss the last two weeks, I was a little concerned.  Look around though. Almost nobody but Astros people are arguing Bregman.  He's being considered, but he's gonna fall short

Reason we're not seeing it that much other than Astros fans is because some are arguing it's hard to say he's truly been more valuable than some of his own teammates.   Alvarez came up and filled what had been a gaping hole for Houston (Tyler White), and then you have Verlander and Cole being legitimately dominant on the mound.  Basically he's got three guys on his own team making their own cases as that team's MVP which hurts him.

Personally I think in some ways, like Trout.... Bregman is a victim of his own success.  He has basically repeated his 2018, when he came in 5th.

Just now, Jay said:

But WAR...

You know, I lean heavily towards stats and I understand the point of WAR is to try to find value -- but it's defensive deficiencies turn me off when it comes to making it the basis of any MVP argument...

Trout's dominance this year across the board is crazy.... https://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/AL/2019-batting-leaders.shtml

That’s why they have silver slugger awards.  For the best offensive player at each position.  

again The problem of “value”.  If we use the war numbers inappropriately and subtract trout, the angels still suck.  If you remove Bregman, suddenly the astros might be in a wild card fight.  Who provided more value to their team?