• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Should MLB take any blame for Skaggs?

Torridd

From what I understand the MLB testing regiment is pretty robust.  If that’s true, I mean what else do you think they should do ? An adult made a decision.  I’m not sure anyone needs to be held accountable.  

I guess we’ll find out what the deal is with this “Angels employee” but I’m not going to speculate on what all is going on there. 

No MLB shouldn’t take any of the blame.  Bottom line is this is a job where your shelf life is very short compared to most careers and very very lucrative.  So the pressure to perform is pretty large.  A player, if they managed their money properly, could retire pretty young without having to deal with the possibility of injury related drug addiction.  

Two things:

one- I believe MLB really only tests for performance enhancing drugs. He could still pass the test or even if he didn’t he’d be offered some counseling of some form. Not an 80 game suspension. Pain killers are a little bit different than PEDs.

second- MLB shouldn’t take any blame. They are all adults and should let someone know they have a problem or don’t take it at all. Specially when you’ve basically got everything in the world you can ask for. Now, if the Angels has an employee that was in on it then I think maybe the Angels should apologize of some form. At the end of the day, I’m sure they didn’t force the drugs down his throat but I’m also sure the Angels should have be more strict to make sure none of that happens

18 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

one- I believe MLB really only tests for performance enhancing drugs. He could still pass the test or even if he didn’t he’d be offered some counseling of some form. Not an 80 game suspension. Pain killers are a little bit different than PEDs.

Correct. MLB players are only tested for PEDs, unless there’s probable cause to warrant testing for drugs of abuse (ie Josh Hamilton).

Minor leaguers are tested for both PEDs and drugs of abuse.

1 hour ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Correct. MLB players are only tested for PEDs, unless there’s probable cause to warrant testing for drugs of abuse (ie Josh Hamilton).

Ill add here.

You have to look for specifics when testing blood. Different tests for different drugs... so just from that standpoint, it would be tough (to do it regularly).

And second, most drugs are out of your system pretty quickly. Youd have to test every other day almost.

7 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I hope that MLB can somehow in the future make random drug testing for all illegal substances as part of their agreement. It may save somebody else’s life. Drugs have been part of the MLB culture for years and not enough has been done about it.

https://www.mountainfilm.org/media/dock-ellis-and-the-lsd-no-no

3 minutes ago, RBM said:

Should the MLB take any blame for Skaggs?

This is your premise? Really? OK.

Hell no!

He choked on his own vomit the same day he organized a cowboy themed team party on an off night in Texas complete with a team  photo on the tarmac.

Hell no!

He was responsible for his own actions.

Hell no!

It's a tragedy for his family but he is solely responsible for this tragedy.

Hell no!

They are hurting but his choices are the sole reason for the hurt.

Tough but fair

30 minutes ago, RBM said:

Should the MLB take any blame for Skaggs?

This is your premise? Really? OK.

Hell no!

He choked on his own vomit the same day he organized a cowboy themed team party on an off night in Texas complete with a team  photo on the tarmac.

Hell no!

He was responsible for his own actions.

Hell no!

It's a tragedy for his family but he is solely responsible for this tragedy.

Hell no!

They are hurting but his choices are the sole reason for the hurt.

I blame Upton. ?