• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Ohtani

tdawg87

43 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

The interesting thing is that the stats would have argued that was the thing to do....   In playing him regardless of the numbers Ausmus has gone against the sabermetrics.

At some point, when a guy has as much talent as Ohtani, you just let him play. Throw the sabermetrics out the window.

From Joe Sheehan: 

So it’s reasonable to say that for the last year, Ohtani hasn’t been the two-way player of mythology but, rather, a one-way player. In that year, Ohtani has hit .282/.353/.556. Left alone to rake, he’s been one of the 15 best hitters in baseball, with a 146 wRC+. Here are his comps in that time.

Oh! -tani (Hitting since June 14, 2018, min. 250 PA)

PA     AVG   OBP   SLG   wRC+

11. Max Muncy       589    .286  .380  .551   149
12. Mookie Betts    711    .307  .416  .524   149

13. Shohei Ohtani   375    .282  .353  .556   146
14. Josh Bell       602    .299  .385  .544   145
15. Pete Alonso     277    .258  .339  .598   145

“I’m pretty sure Shohei Ohtani is a five-win pitcher, and I can be convinced he’s a five-win outfielder. I just don’t know if we’re taking those players and making them into a four-win P/DH.”

Ohtani is a top 15 hitter since last June. Do you take that kind of production out of the lineup 40% of the time?  Probably yes if you have a pitching staff like the Angels.

19 minutes ago, Calzone 2 said:

I can’t wait for Ohtani to accept his invitation to the Home Run Derby just to see the reactions from the “it ruins your swing” blowhards. 

I haven't watched the Home Run Derby in years. That would likely change if Ohtani is in.

That said I think I would prefer to see Ohtani rest during the break.

5 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

The interesting thing is that the stats would have argued that was the thing to do....   In playing him regardless of the numbers Ausmus has gone against the sabermetrics.

I disagree. Sabermetrics would tell you not to put too much stock in less than 100 below average at bats when the dude had a 182 wRC+ in over 200 ab's vs righties.

19 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

I disagree. Sabermetrics would tell you not to put too much stock in less than 100 below average at bats when the dude had a 182 wRC+ in over 200 ab's vs righties.

This is actually true but.... If you want to go there.... Sabermetrics would have you ignore both samples as neither is all that large.

He came over with the can't hit lefties tag, didn't he? I'm assuming that was based on whatever sample existed on him over there.

Edited by Inside Pitch

6 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

This is actually true but.... If you want to go there.... Sabermetrics would have you ignore both samples as neither is all that large.

He came over with the can't hit lefties tag, didn't he? I'm assuming that was based on whatever sample existed on him over there.

He came over with the "High School hitter" tag, and whoever said that is probably no longer working.

28 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

I don't really have much memory of my expectations of his splits. I remembered he had an exceedingly large K rate which initially lowered my expectations, but Japanese scouts seemed to like his hitting more than his pitching and when the Zips projections came out they were essentially calling him George Springer. 

1 hour ago, gotbeer said:

Ohtani vs Trout.  Special match race home run derby.  Oh, who am I kidding.  We see that home run derby every game.

Both Ohtani and Trout in the HRD would be a huge boost in the ratings. I’d personally like to see it but both of their swings would be ruined say so many here at Angelswin. 

8 minutes ago, Calzone 2 said:

Both Ohtani and Trout in the HRD would be a huge boost in the ratings. I’d personally like to see it but both of their swings would be ruined say so many here at Angelswin. 

Doesn't matter, one isn't going to sign here because of endorsement possibilities and the other will be going back east...  so says some guy at Angelswin.