• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Angels manager Brad Ausmus gives Shohei Ohtani a day off instead of having him face Yusei Kikuchi

SEATTLE — Brad Ausmus is not a very popular person in Japan right now.

The Angels manager filled out his lineup without Shohei Ohtani on Thursday, denying fans and dozens of Japanese media members the chance to see Ohtani face Seattle Mariners lefty Yusei Kikuchi.

“Japanese baseball fans don’t like me,” Ausmus said with a smile. “Tell them I’m sorry.”

Ohtani and Kikuchi attended the same high school in Japan, although at different times.

“I feel like I am letting (the Japanese fans) down,” Ausmus said, “but that’s (making them happy) not my job.”

Ausmus said he decided Ohtani was going to get one day off in this four-game series in Seattle, and it would be against one of the three left-handed pitchers the Angels are set to face.

Ausmus said simply he preferred the matchup of Ohtani against the other two Mariners lefties, Marco Gonzales and Tommy Milone.

In his first season in the majors, Kikuchi has held lefties to a .234 average, while Gonzales (.271) and Milone (.256) have been easier on lefties throughout their career.

Kikuchi, whose fastball averages 93.1 mph, is also more of a power pitcher than Gonzalez (90.1 mph) and Milone (87.9).

PITCHING PLANS

Ausmus said Trevor Cahill will be pushed back to pitch on Monday, which is why the Angels have a hole in their rotation for Sunday’s series finale.

The Angels could go with a bullpen day, using all relievers, or they could bring someone up from Triple-A.

Two of the Triple-A pitchers will big league experience – Nick Tropeano and Jaime Barría – will have been optioned for less than 10 days, so neither could return by Sunday unless they are replacing an injured player.

José Suarez, who is on the 40-man roster, would be on turn to pitch on Sunday. Suarez, however, gave up six runs in 3-2/3 innings in his last Triple-A start, and Ausmus said he wasn’t even considered for Tuesday’s big league opening because they wanted him to get more time at Triple-A. Tropeano pitched instead.

Lefty Dillon Peters, who pitched 5-2/3 scoreless innings in his last outing at Triple-A, also could pitch on Sunday.

ALSO

Kevan Smith, who is on the concussion list, began to feel some symptoms when he tried to take part in batting practice a few days ago, so he was shut down again. Ausmus said he resumed workouts on Thursday, and he will not be activated until at least next Tuesday, when the Angels return home. …

JC Ramírez is scheduled to pitch for Class-A Inland Empire on Friday, the start of his rehab assignment. Ramírez, who is recovering from Tommy John surgery, is expected to be back in the majors by the end of June. The Angels haven’t decided if he’ll come back as a starter or reliever. …

Andrelton Simmons, who is out with a grade 3 ankle sprain, has begun walking without crutches. The Angels still have not given a timeline for his return, but based on similar injuries the normal rehab time would have him back in late July or early August. …

Zack Cozart, who is out with a left shoulder injury, was evaluated and began some treatment, but he is currently “in a holding pattern to see how he responds,” Ausmus said.

UP NEXT

Angels (LHP Tyler Skaggs, 4-4, 4.40) vs. Mariners (RHP Mike Leake, 3-6, 4.93), Friday, 7 p.m., Fox Sports West

View the full article

I understand Japanese fans being disappointed, I do.

Still I find the butthurt coming from this far more entertaining than anything I'd get out of having them face each other.  The dude explained his reasoning, it makes sense, and it's not like like the fans in Seattle showed up in huge numbers to witness it...  Less than 14,000 tickets sold in a city with a significant Asian population.  So, F off!

Winning is entertaining.

Edited by Inside Pitch

6 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

I understand Japanese fans being disappointed, I do.

Still I find the butthurt coming from this far more entertaining than anything I'd get out of having them face each other.  The dude explained his reasoning, it makes sense, and it's not like like the fans in Seattle showed up in huge numbers to witness it...  Less than 14,000 tickets sold in a city with a significant Asian population.  So, F off!

Winning is entertaining.

Dude, have you been drinking? Seems a little harsh for the topic, IMO. When you usually break out the gorilla suit, it's for something of a little more substance. This one doesn't feel like a typical IP take.

2 minutes ago, True Grich said:

Dude, have you been drinking? Seems a little harsh for the topic, IMO. When you usually break out the gorilla suit, it's for something of a little more substance. This one doesn't feel like a typical IP take.

Was it the “So, F off!”  I’m thinking it was the “F off!”  

11 minutes ago, True Grich said:

The Angels will never be able to sign another Japanese player again.

Well not that it matters because the next big Japanese player that comes over here will want to go to a team that has never had a Japanese Star on the team.  

That is probably the biggest crock of shit I have ever heard, and my guess it is 100% bullshit.  It seems like something Dipoto would plant to use later when he was unable to sign the guy.  

38 minutes ago, True Grich said:

Nope...

I'm guessing you're basing your opinion based on what's been said here which IMO has been relatively tame compared to some of the idiocy spewed on Twitter, and other places....   Ausmus has been called a coward by people... There are people blathering on and on about him having disrespected fans and Japanese people in general .... even as all of 14,000 bothered to attend.  The dolts at LL went as far as claiming it was PR gamesmanship not wanting the Ms to benefit or some other tripe and brought up Ohtani bobble head night having been against the Ms last year... So, yeah... Lots of butt-hurt out there.   

I genuinely find the reaction to be totally laughable.  The manager is trying to put his team in the best position to win, period.  I thought he did a good job of acknowledging some wouldn't like it, he really didn't need to IMO.

So, ima double down on what I said.

55 minutes ago, Calzone 2 said:

I’m pretty sure that it has a lot more to do with his lifetime numbers against lefties. This isn’t anything new and sitting him against lefties is the right thing to do. 

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

8EB25213-895D-449F-BAB5-1B35E850C6E2.jpeg

Three starts against lefties this series, he sat him .vs the hardest thrower...  Hard to disagree IMO.