• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Why tf would Ausmus pinch hit Fletcher with La Stella?

This must be a joke. 

You leave Bourjos with 0.103 avg in for bases loaded to get struck out and pinch hit Fletcher with La Shitella in the next inning?

Consistently having 3-4 starters batting below .200 is already a joke but how Ausmus manages makes me think he is already losing games intentionally smh

47 minutes ago, jchalos89 said:

This must be a joke. 

You leave Bourjos with 0.103 avg in for bases loaded to get struck out and pinch hit Fletcher with La Shitella in the next inning?

Consistently having 3-4 starters batting below .200 is already a joke but how Ausmus manages makes me think he is already losing games intentionally smh

Wouldnt make more sense to have your best contact hitter (not named Trout) bat instead.  Great opportunity for a hit and run.

It's just a damn shame that these major league managers don't have access to the same data, especially the Wins Above Hindsight or WAH data, that we fans have. Then they wouldn't make moves that look dumb and turn out poorly. I guess they just have to rely on the 11 shittons of data that they do get dumped on their desk that suggest certain matchups are supposed to work

Seriously, so much complaining that Sosh was old school and we wanted a data driven manager. Don't you figure they have meetings going into these series in which they discuss matchups to avoid and others to try to create? I know Fletcher is the new crush since Kole went south but do we really think he would have fared any better?

23 minutes ago, arch stanton said:

Seriously, so much complaining that Sosh was old school and we wanted a data driven manager. Don't you figure they have meetings going into these series in which they discuss matchups to avoid and others to try to create? I know Fletcher is the new crush since Kole went south but do we really think he would have fared any better?

Well, he grounded into a double play which was the worst possible outcome so I think it's reasonable to think he would have fared better. Meanwhile, Bourjos continues to get at bats.

16 minutes ago, HeavenlyHalos said:

Well, he grounded into a double play which was the worst possible outcome so I think it's reasonable to think he would have fared better. Meanwhile, Bourjos continues to get at bats.

Other than hindsight, do you have any data that indicates that Fletcher had a better chance in that spot?

4 hours ago, arch stanton said:

I guess. Although nobody has given anything  beyond their fanboy crush that indicates that Fletcher was a better option against Gearrin in that situation. Which, of course, leads to the common sense defense

David Fletcher 

0.302 batting avg, 0.371 against RHPs, 0.313 with RISP, 0.333 in Late &Close games, and 0.500 in high leverage situations this season

TLS

0.222 batting avg, 0.239 against RHPs, 0.158 with RISP, 0.143 in late & close games, and 0.091 in high leverage situations this season.

Take Fletcher out to put in TLS just because he had a walk in 1 AB? or just because he hits left handed makes 0 sense

idgaf about fanboy crush or whatever reason ppl love Fletcher I just know that pinch hit made no sense at all no matter how you look at it. There is no guarantee that Fletcher would have come through in the situation (and of course there's no such player you can guarantee a hit in any AB) but teams take the best chance you have in a given situation to win, not a brain-dead non sense decision like Ausmus

That completely ignores the other half of the matchup. To say out of hand that Fletcher vs Gearrin is a clearly better bet than La Stella vs Gearrin seems like a stretch. Especially since La Stella's primary function as a MLer is as a pinch hitter in these situations. I don't know what all is involved in the matrix for these decisions but I'm willing to bet there's a good bit more to it than righty vs lefty and I'm also willing to bet that these decisions are made in advance of the series with input from outside the dugout