• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Angels top prospect Jo Adell earning admirers in first big league camp

• LDN-ANGELS-SPRING-0224-KB121.jpg

Jo Adell #59 of the Los Angeles Angels against the San Francisco Giants in the first inning during a MLB spring training baseball game at Tempe Diablo Stadium on Saturday, February 23, 2019 in Tempe, Arizona. (Photo by Keith Birmingham, Pasadena Star-News/SCNG)

• LDN-ANGELS-SPRING-0224-KB131.jpg

Jo Adell #59 of the Los Angeles Angels against the San Francisco Giants in the first inning during a MLB spring training baseball game at Tempe Diablo Stadium on Saturday, February 23, 2019 in Tempe, Arizona. (Photo by Keith Birmingham, Pasadena Star-News/SCNG)

• Sound
    The gallery will resume inseconds
  • LDN-ANGELS-SPRING-0224-KB141.jpg

• LDN-ANGELS-SPRING-0224-KB741.jpg

Jo Adell #59 of the Los Angeles Angels during a MLB spring training baseball game against the San Francisco Giants at Tempe Diablo Stadium on Saturday, February 23, 2019 in Tempe, Arizona. (Photo by Keith Birmingham, Pasadena Star-News/SCNG)

• Angels-Royals-Baseball2.jpg

Angels outfield prospect Jo Adell catches a fly ball hit by the Royals’ Kevin Gutierrez during a Cactus League game on Thursday, March 7, 2019, in Surprise, Ariz. (AP Photo/Matt York)

• LDN-ANGELS-SPRING-0224-KB751.jpg

Jo Adell #59 of the Los Angeles Angels during a MLB spring training baseball game against the San Francisco Giants at Tempe Diablo Stadium on Saturday, February 23, 2019 in Tempe, Arizona. (Photo by Keith Birmingham, Pasadena Star-News/SCNG)

• LDN-ANGELS-SPRING-0224-KB761.jpg

• LDN-ANGELS-SPRING-0224-KB771.jpg

• LDN-ANGELS-SPRING-0224-KB111.jpg

Angels outfield prospect Jo Adell stays ready on defense during a Cactus League game against the Giants last month in Tempe, Ariz. (Photo by Keith Birmingham, Pasadena Star-News/SCNG)

• LDN-ANGELS-PHOTO-DAY-0220-KB1751.jpg

Angels outfield prospect Jo Adell ascended through three levels of the team’s minor league system in 2018 and is considered one of the most promising all-around talents in the sport. (Photo by Keith Birmingham, Pasadena Star-News/SCNG)

of

Expand

TEMPE, Ariz. — Peter Bourjos answered a question about Jo Adell with another question.

“He’s 19?” the Angels veteran asked. “That’s crazy.”

In his first big league camp, Adell has shown everyone what has made him one of baseball’s best prospects and the most promising player to come through the Angels’ system since Mike Trout.

Bourjos, a 31-year-old who was playing with the Angels when Trout debuted at age 19, said they share some traits.

“The tool set is very similar,” Bourjos said. “It’s very impressive at a young age just how strong he is, and the way he looks like a man. That was the same when Trout came up. He was 19 and he looked like he was 30.”

Certainly, no one is expecting Adell to perform at the Hall of Fame level Trout has. But they do expect him to reach the majors quickly and be an impact player.

The 10th overall pick in the 2017 draft, Adell was invited to big league camp after just one full season as a professional. In 2018, he rose through three levels of the farm system. Adell started at low Class-A Burlington, Iowa, and finished at Double-A Mobile.

He hit .290 with 20 home runs and an .897 OPS over 99 games, helping him to be a consensus top 20 prospect in baseball. Baseball Prospectus has him ranked No. 2, behind only Toronto’s Vladimir Guerrero Jr.

Adell has the speed to play center field and the power to blast balls over the fence from pole to pole.

It reminds Bourjos of another former Angels teammate.

“The ball jumps off his bat,” Bourjos said. “I would put it up there with (Mark) Trumbo, the way it comes off his bat. It’s stupid.”

Beyond the physical tools Adell has shown, he’s made an impression with the way he’s handled himself.

“He seems at ease with the big league clubhouse,” Manager Brad Ausmus said. “I think a lot of the guys, even with big league experience, they know the name. They know who he is. You still have to earn your stripes so to speak. He carries himself well. He’s certainly getting his work done.”

So far Adell has played nine Cactus League games, including starting in center field and batting cleanup in a split-squad game Thursday. He has seven hits in 19 at-bats, including two doubles.

One of the doubles was against the Cincinnati Reds, a team Adell cheered for while growing up nearby in Louisville, Ky. As Adell pulled into second, Reds star first baseman Joey Votto, trailing him to the bag, patted him on the behind and said: “Attaboy, Jo-Jo.”

“I thought it was the coolest thing ever,” Adell recalled. “I grew up watching this guy play. Just that slight bit of encouragement was really cool. In the moment, I didn’t really think about it, then later I got on the bus and thought, ‘Joey Votto thought it was a good hit.’ That experience was pretty awesome.”

Adell said he’s also received plenty of support from within the Angels’ clubhouse.

“Everybody in this clubhouse has been hands-on trying to help,” he said.

Working with the other outfielders every day, Adell has especially taken some lessons from Trout.

“Outside of the skills in center field and watching him at the plate and during BP, just looking at him made me understand how to go hard every time,” Adell said. “There is no other way for him. The guy is going hard every pitch.”

Trout came to the big leagues as an exceptional outfielder, but as he matured he learned ways he could improve on his natural athletic ability in the outfield. For Trout, that meant putting intense focus on getting good jumps on balls.

Adell is now doing the same thing.

“In the past, I had been able to get away with not having the best jumps off the bat, but having the speed and ability to cover ground,” he said. “But at the big-league level, the balls are hit a lot harder. There is more ground to cover.”

Adell said his offensive focus has been on his body position, which he said helps him to see pitches and know which ones to attack. Simply swinging at strikes and taking balls is not enough. He’s also looking to swing at the right strikes.

Last year, Adell struck out 111 times and walked just 32 times, leaving plate discipline as one of the remaining pieces to get him to the big leagues.

“As with all our hitters, we don’t want guys chasing out of the zone very often,” Ausmus said. “We want them attacking balls in the zone, especially in areas they hit the ball hard. He’s still fine-tuning that.”

Adell also said he’s fine-tuning little things that don’t show up in the stats, like getting a good jump to take an extra base on a hit, or cutting a ball off quickly enough to hold a runner.

Those improvements on the fringes, Adell believes, turn a prospect into a big leaguer.

Adell could make that transition sometime this year, or next year at the latest.

“I trust Billy (Eppler) and the staff,” Adell said. “When they decide I’m ready to come up, that’s going to be what it is. I have a list of things I keep working on, little stuff. Fine-tuning. That’s all I can control. I can’t control anything outside of that. When they’re ready to pull the trigger, it’s on me.”

View the full article

Adell looks like he fits in with the majors leaguers, but just imagine for a second what it looked like last year, seeing him on the field against guys in Burlington or at Inland Empire.  Basically what I'm saying is, there was never any doubt who Jo Adell was on the field.  Strictly in body comparison, it's like watching an NBA player on the court with a bunch of high school basketball players.  You'll know which one plays professionally. 

38 minutes ago, AngelsWin.com said:

“As with all our hitters, we don’t want guys chasing out of the zone very often,” Ausmus said. “We want them attacking balls in the zone, especially in areas they hit the ball hard.

I like this quote from Brad and really like that approach to hitting.  Attack the right pitches.  Not just any pitch but also don't just stand there with the bat on your shoulder.  

Go after that first pitch cookie once in awhile to keep pitchers honest.  Focus on hitting the ball the other way with two strikes.  

Ive never been one to droll over prospects, but i have to admit he has looked every bit the part and its been really enlightening to get a chance to watch him play.  
After some early nerves to be expected hes settled in and looked extremely mature for his age. 

I really wanted to make a trip out to a 66ers game to see him play, but he was gone to AA before I got around to it.  I hope he pans out the way people are projecting...

54 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I like this quote from Brad and really like that approach to hitting.  Attack the right pitches.  Not just any pitch but also don't just stand there with the bat on your shoulder.  

Go after that first pitch cookie once in awhile to keep pitchers honest.  Focus on hitting the ball the other way with two strikes.  

It’s the exact same approach Scioscia used.  Eppler added the swing at the pitches you are good at hitting.  Scioscia, hell and Hatcher for that matter, preached being aggressive in the zone.  

22 minutes ago, Lou said:

I really wanted to make a trip out to a 66ers game to see him play, but then I remembered that I would have to go to San Bernardino. 

You'll never be a super fan with that attitude.

23 minutes ago, Lou said:

I really wanted to make a trip out to a 66ers game to see him play, but then I remembered that I would have to go to San Bernardino. 

hey, you can always go to a 66ers game in Lake Elsinore or Modesto

One of the doubles was against the Cincinnati Reds, a team Adell cheered for while growing up nearby in Louisville, Ky. As Adell pulled into second, Reds star first baseman Joey Votto, trailing him to the bag, patted him on the behind and said: “Attaboy, Jo-Jo.”

“I thought it was the coolest thing ever,” Adell recalled. “I grew up watching this guy play. Just that slight bit of encouragement was really cool. In the moment, I didn’t really think about it, then later I got on the bus and thought, ‘Joey Votto thought it was a good hit.’ That experience was pretty awesome.”

This is pretty cool...both by Votto and Adell's reaction.  Playing against your childhood team, and their star player is giving you some love.  

3 hours ago, Lou said:

I went to UCLA, not usc.

My wardrobe doesn't include any Kevlar.

There was a shirt they sold back in the 90s when I was at SC that said something like “it’s only a hop, skip, jump, duck and roll for cover from the coliseum”

What’s the mpg on the drive to the RB?

3 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

I did late in the 2018 season.   LE has a pretty nice stadium.

I used to live in the neighborhood next to the stadium.  It was an easy walk and they had some great midweek value games.  I was able to see The 66ers there, but Adell didn't play that night.  It was right before their All-Star game, and I think he was sitting that night to make the trip.