• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Angels’ Mike Trout believes spring training is no time for contract negotiations

TEMPE, Ariz. >> If the Angels are able to negotiate a contract extension with star center fielder Mike Trout, it appears unlikely to happen during spring training – this year or next year.

Trout’s contract runs through the 2020 season. Asked Friday if he would like to have any negotiations with the Angels settled prior to the start of a new season, Trout said, “obviously in spring training you try to get ready for the season. You don’t want to think about anything else. That’s the mindset right now. We’ll go from there.”

That’s about the most Trout has said publicly about his contract status. The consensus best player in baseball, Trout recently sidestepped questions about whether he has discussed an extension with the Angels, and whether he wants to remain in Anaheim.

Trout’s comments Friday revealed little about his future plans. They at least represented a change of heart in one regard: The last time the Angels extended his contract to its current length, the negotiations were finalized in spring training. That was back in March 2014, and it resulted in Trout’s current six-year, $144.5 million deal.

Owner Arte Moreno recently said he’s discussed a possible contract extension for Trout internally.

“It’s in the front of our mind,” Moreno said.

Trout, however, is loathe to discuss his contract status in any detail. Since his preference is to delay negotiations until the off-season, perhaps there is no news to discuss.

TROUT ON HARPER

Trout said he extended his congratulations to Bryce Harper on Thursday, after Harper agreed to terms on a 13-year, $330 million contract with the Philadelphia Phillies.

“I’m happy for him,” Trout said. “Obviously the (Nolan) Arenado extension, the (Manny) Machado (contract) and obviously Harper yesterday, it took longer than people expected but that’s great for him. I’m happy for him.”

Trout, who grew up near Philadelphia in Millville, New Jersey, believes Harper will be welcomed warmly in his new city. Harper has spent his entire seven-year major league career with the Washington Nationals.

Like most players – if not all of them – Trout was watching the years and dollars of Harper’s contract with great anticipation. The average player’s salary dropped in 2018 for the first time in 14 years, and the contracts for Harper and Machado were viewed around the game as potential trendsetters. That wasn’t all Trout was watching.

“I was just happy he signed before the season started,” Trout said of Harper. “I think he’s got to obviously do so much – you have to look at the overall health of a player. You do so much in the offseason, you get here, and the first couple weeks of spring your body’s not used to that, you know, baseball conditioning. It’s good for him. He’s obviously going to be ready before opening day. All the guys, it just took longer than people expected.”

OHTANI UPDATE

Shohei Ohtani took the next step in his rehabilitation from Tommy John surgery. Manager Brad Ausmus said Ohtani was scheduled to take 25 swings off a batting tee Friday, followed by 15 swings against a coach tossing the ball softly underhand. Ohtani had not been cleared for soft-toss swings to this point in camp.

The next step for Ohtani is to take swings against a coach throwing overhand, Ausmus said, but there is no timetable for this step.

“He’s patient zero,” Ausmus said. “He doesn’t really have a set schedule. He’s making the schedule for future Shohei Ohtanis.”

Ohtani is expected to provide a first-person update on his progress Saturday.

ALSO

Outfielder Justin Upton, slowed by patellar tendinitis in his right knee, took batting practice with teammates for the second consecutive day. “Certain movements might aggravate it,” Ausmus said. “Just trying to get all the irritation out before we put him in a game situation. Ninety-nine point nine percent of the day, he feels perfectly fine. It just might be one movement, ‘I kind of feel it right there.’ We’re trying to eliminate that point-1 percent.” … Reliever Daniel Hudson will open the Angels’ Cactus League game Sunday against the A’s. Just a fluke, or the start of a trend? “Right now I don’t have any plans to do it,” Ausmus said of using a so-called “opener” in the regular season. “I would if it made sense.” … The Angels’ minor league pitchers and catchers officially reported to Tempe Diablo Stadium. Their minor league position players are scheduled to report Thursday.

View the full article

9 minutes ago, ScottT said:

Yeah, right.

Didn't seem to affect his preparedness for the 2014 season.

The guys on the MLB Network were saying that the Phillies AAV on Harper is low enough that they could still get Trout after the 2020 season. 

Man, if this doesn't get done soon you would think that it's going to have the opposite effect that Trout is trying to avoid and become a HUGE distraction in the clubhouse, during interviews and on social media.

2 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

The guys on the MLB Network were saying that the Phillies AAV on Harper is low enough that they could still get Trout after the 2020 season. 

Man, if this doesn't get done soon you would think that it's going to have the opposite effect that Trout is trying to avoid and become a HUGE distraction in the clubhouse, during interviews and on social media.

Totally agree. Sigh.

12 minutes ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

Mike Trout did not say he would delay contract negotiations with the until next offseason. "I didn't mean that," he told me. A quick story on what he did say:

https://www.latimes.com/sports/angels/la-sp-mike-trout-angels-contract-20190301-story.html

YES!!!!  Extension in 5.....4......3......2......1........