• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Machado to Padres....

floplag

1 hour ago, UndertheHalo said:

What does taking the money “speak to the man” ? This guys skill is baseball.  He has what ? like a 15 year window to bank off that skill.  There’s no character flaw in going for the most money. 

How much freaking bank do you need?  He could have taken oh say 50M less and been where he wanted to be or at least closer to it... does 250M somehow set him up for life less then 300?
Its monopoly money in either case.  
He put the money first, which is fine, but it does tell us his priority. 

1 minute ago, floplag said:

How much freaking bank do you need?  He could have taken oh say 50M less and been where he wanted to be or at least closer to it... does 250M somehow set him up for life less then 300?
Its monopoly money in either case.  
He put the money first, which is fine, but it does tell us his priority. 

There were reports that were probably completely wrong, which isn’t uncommon for this kind of stuff.  He took the most money and went to live in probably the best place in the country.  I think his priorities are fine. 

Also, the Padres have demonstrated that they’re interested in building a winner around their farm.  I think it’s pretty easy to sell the idea that it’s a decent situation baseball wise. 

2 hours ago, Stradling said:

This will probably sound ridiculous, but here it goes.  I work with a guy who’s uncle was the third base coach at Philly and the Indians and has worked with several other teams as well.  The guy I work with told me that the White Sox trading for Alonso (Manny’s brother in law) was a BAD idea in trying to lure Manny to Chi Town.  He said the reason it is a horrible idea, was Manny is a huge womanizer.  

I would think the bigger issue is that the WhiteSox still play in the south side of Chicago

Something else to note...you hear lots of backbiting about one of the two big free agents that were available...and it wasn't coming from the Orioles/Dodgers. Think this was a good move for both sides. Padres have a bright future and a centerpiece to build around and Machado is going to be the face of a franchise located in one of the best cities in the US.

People have wild imaginations. 

Machado just chose to go play in one of the nicest places on earth and he gets accused of choosing on the basis of money alone.

Further we have no idea what amount of money he could have gotten from another club.

I am sure some players just take the highest offer without really caring who it comes from.

But it is also true that some players privately tell their agent exactly where they want to go, and the agent then manipulates the whole process to just get the most they can from that club.

We do not know which happened here.

1 hour ago, Dtwncbad said:

People have wild imaginations. 

Machado just chose to go play in one of the nicest places on earth and he gets accused of choosing on the basis of money alone.

Further we have no idea what amount of money he could have gotten from another club.

I am sure some players just take the highest offer without really caring who it comes from.

But it is also true that some players privately tell their agent exactly where they want to go, and the agent then manipulates the whole process to just get the most they can from that club.

We do not know which happened here.

We've seen/heard the White Sox offer which had less guaranteed money.  We heard the Phillies' GM say the Padres deal was above their valuation - so, we do have "some idea" of the money out there.

I think it's a fair guess on anyone's part to say he went for the most money.  It doesn't take a "wild imagination" to come up with that idea.

Now, if you want to argue whether or not anyone should fault him for that - I hear you.  Good for him. 

14 minutes ago, True Grich said:

We've seen/heard the White Sox offer which had less guaranteed money.  We heard the Phillies' GM say the Padres deal was above their valuation - so, we do have "some idea" of the money out there.

I think it's a fair guess on anyone's part to say he went for the most money.  It doesn't take a "wild imagination" to come up with that idea.

Now, if you want to argue whether or not anyone should fault him for that - I hear you.  Good for him. 

So his agent was able to get the Padres to view him differently?  Gee couldn't that happen if the agent was told he wants to be in San Diego so to get the most money possible from the Padres?

Look I am not claiming this IS what happened.  I am saying we dont know and the knee jerk assumption that he simply sat back and took the largest offer is simply speculation.

Just now, Dtwncbad said:

So his agent was able to get the Padres to view him differently?  Gee couldn't that happen if the agent was told he wants to be in San Diego so to get the most money possible from the Padres?

Look I am not claiming this IS what happened.  I am saying we dont know and the knee jerk assumption that he simply sat back and took the largest offer is simply speculation.

Most of the stuff we post on here is speculation...  I don't think anyone is having a "knee jerk" reaction - it's just what people have concluded after seeing the news associated with his signing and the reaction around baseball.

let's change the scenario:

Option 1.  Padres offer $250M and the opportunity to play in Petco Park, in one of the best areas in the country. 

or

Option 2.  White Sox offer $300M and the opportunity to play in Guaranteed Rate Field in one of the worst areas in the country.

which deal would he have signed?  I say Chicago. 

5 hours ago, Stradling said:

This will probably sound ridiculous, but here it goes.  I work with a guy who’s uncle was the third base coach at Philly and the Indians and has worked with several other teams as well.  The guy I work with told me that the White Sox trading for Alonso (Manny’s brother in law) was a BAD idea in trying to lure Manny to Chi Town.  He said the reason it is a horrible idea, was Manny is a huge womanizer.  

that will be the least surprising thing i hear for the week.

24 minutes ago, Lou said:

Option 1.  Padres offer $250M and the opportunity to play in Petco Park, in one of the best areas in the country. 

or

Option 2.  White Sox offer $300M and the opportunity to play in Guaranteed Rate Field in one of the worst areas in the country.

I say San Diego 

24 minutes ago, Lou said:

or

In this scenario, the agent busts his rear end to negotiate with the Padres to get them to re-value the player and improve their offer with the goal of pushing them to match or beat the other offer.

It being Feb 19, they then sign the deal to be in San Diego and you are fine sleeping at night not really knowing if the other team could have also been pushed to an even higher number.

38 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

In this scenario, the agent busts his rear end to negotiate with the Padres to get them to re-value the player and improve their offer with the goal of pushing them to match or beat the other offer.

It being Feb 19, they then sign the deal to be in San Diego and you are fine sleeping at night not really knowing if the other team could have also been pushed to an even higher number.

how about answering the question asked?

17 hours ago, Dochalo said:

Here's one thing I don't understand.  

Why the f does it take till Feb 19th for the Padres to come to the table with this offer?  

It's not like they waited out the situation and got a smokin' deal.  They paid full retail.  

If that's where they were willing to go all along, why not bring something close to the table 3 months ago?  

Are you really going to tell me that they decided to spend 300 mil at the last minute?

I wasn't in favor of setting FA deadlines but this has changed my mind.  

The data doesn't change.  The eval's of Machado don't change.  Does it really take that long to go back and forth with offers?  

Machado was clearly looking for a particular number.  Does it really take that long to get there if you were willing to go there?  

I see it differently. The Padres going in probably thought 10/300 wouldn't be enough for either Manny or Bryce. Seeing that in the early stages, teams were not offering anything close to that figure, why would the Padres go out and offer their 10/300 only for agents to use that as their base for bargaining. The Padres risked easily losing to a bidding war. 

With Spring Training so close, the Padres saw that both players were still available thus making it their time to strike. Time was now on the Padres side with both players being involved in talks, it created a sense of urgency. There wasn't time for the agents to shop the deal (also knowing that other interested teams had gone this far without that much of an offer).  

Although the data didn't change for Manny, the FA negotiations sure did. And the Padres adjusted to the market. I'm sure they overpaid a bit, but not by much. They probably could have got a 9/270, but why risk it at that point.

Heres the thing about San Diego vs other city. As nice as SD is...its not like these guys really get out and enjoy it. I think some of you are a little out of touch with a MLB players schedule.

Aside from the fact youre on the road every other week, during the home week, you basically have time to get up, get lunch, and head to work. Most of those guys get to the park around 3 at the latest. 

You might head out for drinks at night, sure. But usually (not always) the position players call it after an hour or two. Especially being thst they usually dont leave the park until about 1030 or so. 

So its not like the magic of San Diego would have a huge appeal. Of that were the case, not only would more guys be signing there, but places like San Fran, Denver, Miami etc would be huge hot spots for FAs. 

NY and LA of course, but theres way more to it than the city. Ie money.

3 hours ago, Lou said:

or

I think he'd have gone with Chicago.  

50 mil is 50 mil.  tough to pass up.  

53 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I think he'd have gone with Chicago.  

50 mil is 50 mil.  tough to pass up.  

Gittes: I just want to know what you're worth. Over ten million?
Cross: Oh my, yes!
Gittes: Why are you doing it? How much better can you eat? What can you buy that you can't already afford?
Cross: The future, Mr. Gits - the future!

I feel like location is somewhat overblown.  

Of course it's somewhat important whether it be for tax purposes or maybe for a small percentage of players who really want to play in their home town.  

The regular season is 187 days so there are 25 days off.   A lot of those 25 days are either travel days or days spent in other cities.  On average, the team might get two weeks of home days off but that include the 4 days of the ASB.  Obviously, half of the games are on the road and only rarely is it a bus or train ride to the opponents destination.  Then during a game day, a player usually gets up at 10 and get to the park by 1-2 for a 7p game.   A lot of that time is wasted at the field, but that's the culture.  

The point is, during the season, it's almost 24/7 baseball.  How big of a deal is that couple hours a day for half of five months plus a few days off at home during the season?

23 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Now on AM1090 they are talking about picking up Bryce Harper. That would exceed the MLB douche cap for a single team. 

That would effectively kill the franchise in a few years....they might contend in the short run if their prospects pan out but they wouldn't have any money to spend on anything else going forward....think of all the things we could have done with the 450 million we spent on Pujols, Hamilton and CJ Wilson....

24 minutes ago, DMVol said:

That would effectively kill the franchise in a few years....they might contend in the short run if their prospects pan out but they wouldn't have any money to spend on anything else going forward....think of all the things we could have done with the 450 million we spent on Pujols, Hamilton and CJ Wilson....

On the other hand, the Padres team has been dead for decades, save an occasional dead cat bounce.