• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Machado to Padres....

floplag

Just now, GrittyVeterans said:

Strad, you are totally off base on this one. Re-read the beginning of my post. I said: "The fact that they have all those great prospects is why you go get this player in free agency.". 

I never once alluded to the Angels at all in my post. I can see how you think it was a shot, but it really wasn't. I was talking about people in this thread saying it's "typical dumb Padres", etc.

Ok, my bad.  I assumed when you were talking about fans waiting for every prospect to hatch perfectly you were talking about people on this board, where you made the post.  I see now you were talking about Padre fans, I guess.  

2 hours ago, Lou said:

he went 1-4  with a meaningless single in that game 

he batted .227 in the playoffs

Remind me again how well the Dodgers batted in the playoffs ? They batted .205 as a team.  It’s ridiculous for you to make up this narrative that he wasn’t an important part of the team. The whole team didn’t hit.  What I was referencing was that his attitude apparently wasn’t a problem for them.  Which is a completely different point then the one you’ve tried to make. 

And then you drop the play in games stats, which is funny because I didn’t say he was a hero in that game.  What I implied was that the 2.4 WAR and 121 wRC+ that he brought in his 65 games or whatever may well have helped get them to that playoff.  I suspect every game counted, you know on account of the play in game with the Rockies being necessary. 

27 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Ok, my bad.  I assumed when you were talking about fans waiting for every prospect to hatch perfectly you were talking about people on this board, where you made the post.  I see now you were talking about Padre fans, I guess.  

I was talking about Angels fans' opinions of the Padres situation. Not the Angels situation.

The Padres are in a completely different situation than we are. Getting a player like Machado made more sense for them than anyone else in the league.

So yeah, I don't understand why people here think the better course would be for them to sit around and wait for every chicken to hatch perfectly over the next 3 years. Do you?

26 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

Remind me again how well the Dodgers batted in the playoffs ? They batted .205 as a team.  It’s ridiculous for you to make up this narrative that he wasn’t an important part of the team. The whole team didn’t hit.  What I was referencing was that his attitude apparently wasn’t a problem for them.  Which is a completely different point then the one you’ve tried to make. 

And then you drop the play in games stats, which is funny because I didn’t say he was a hero in that game.  What I implied was that the 2.4 WAR and 121 wRC+ that he brought in his 65 games or whatever may well have helped get them to that playoff.  I suspect every game counted, you know on account of the play in game with the Rockies being necessary. 

I only mentioned tha game because you brought it up. 

That aside, I say the dodgers make the WS without him. Are you saying they don't? 

1 minute ago, Lou said:

I only mentioned that ganme because you brought it up. 

That aside, I say the dodgers make the WS without him. Are you saying they don't? 

Maybe not.  Who knows.  I think that a guy who puts up pretty good numbers like that in the middle of your line up makes a difference.  Who’s to say that he didn’t win a couple of games for them that they would have other wise lost between mid July and the end of September ? I’m fairly certain he had at least one walk off for them. 

Just now, UndertheHalo said:

Maybe not.  Who knows.  I think that a guy who puts up pretty good numbers like that in the middle of your line up makes a difference.  Who’s to say that he didn’t win a couple of games for them that they would have other wise lost between mid July and the end of September ? I’m fairly certain he had at least one walk off for them. 

and there were probably games that he failed in walk off situations. 

that being said, we're talking about making the WS, not the playoffs 

9 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Now I wonder what Harper gets. I was thinking machado would get closer to 250, then Harper wouod be 'forced' to accept something along the lines of the Nats offer. Now I wonder if he gets 350 from someone.

Not necessarily. They play different positions and therefore aren't in the same market. The fact the Padres were late to the party for both parties show that the offers were not as high as GMs were expecting.

I'm believing the reports that the highest Manny offer was by the Chi Sox at 8/250. I bet the Padres offer of 10/300 was available to both Manny and Bryce. Manny was the first to bite seeing that might be the biggest offer for either player.

I still believe Bryce goes to the Phils, but the Phils may have the upper hand. I would be surprised if it's much higher than Manny's deal.

Here's one thing I don't understand.  

Why the f does it take till Feb 19th for the Padres to come to the table with this offer?  

It's not like they waited out the situation and got a smokin' deal.  They paid full retail.  

If that's where they were willing to go all along, why not bring something close to the table 3 months ago?  

Are you really going to tell me that they decided to spend 300 mil at the last minute?

I wasn't in favor of setting FA deadlines but this has changed my mind.  

The data doesn't change.  The eval's of Machado don't change.  Does it really take that long to go back and forth with offers?  

Machado was clearly looking for a particular number.  Does it really take that long to get there if you were willing to go there?  

3 hours ago, Dochalo said:

Why the f does it take till Feb 19th for the Padres to come to the table with this offer?  

It's not like they waited out the situation and got a smokin' deal.  They paid full retail.  

If that's where they were willing to go all along, why not bring something close to the table 3 months ago?  

Are you really going to tell me that they decided to spend 300 mil at the last minute?

The data doesn't change.  The eval's of Machado don't change.  Does it really take that long to go back and forth with offers?  

Machado was clearly looking for a particular number.  Does it really take that long to get there if you were willing to go there?  

My best guess is they offered Machado and Haper pretty much the same deal. Manny took it. It's likely they were both offered the same deal a month or two ago and were just waiting out for something better that never materialized.

9 hours ago, Dochalo said:

+1

No other sport sees it's best FAs take THIS long to sign.

This will probably sound ridiculous, but here it goes.  I work with a guy who’s uncle was the third base coach at Philly and the Indians and has worked with several other teams as well.  The guy I work with told me that the White Sox trading for Alonso (Manny’s brother in law) was a BAD idea in trying to lure Manny to Chi Town.  He said the reason it is a horrible idea, was Manny is a huge womanizer.  

15 hours ago, Lou said:

by having 8 straight losing seasons? 

yep, that would be sweet 

The Angels made it to the playoffs once in that span and one a total of zero games.

The larger point is that, on paper, they are ways away from contending for a WS, but they still spent the money instead of being a pathetic MLB franchise like the Marlins, Pirates, or O's.

10 hours ago, Dochalo said:

Did it really take this long though?  We assume so as they werent a name out there but who knows when it actually happened.   I think its likely they came in late, assuming they did, as they really diodnt think they had a shot till a ton of others backed out.
I think we learned a lot about Manny in the process, and really none of it was good.  The one field player might be wroth a lot but the man himself sure seems lacking in nearly every possible way. 
He made it very clear what he wanted both in terms of money and location, he wasnt getting anything that combined them.  In the end he took the money over the location, which i think also speaks to the man. 
All in all i still like what SD is doing in trying to put the right pieces in place so when the farm delivers they are ready to roll, but in this case im glad it was them, and not us, for this player.