• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Keith Law ranks Angels farm as #7 in baseball

krAbs

13 minutes ago, Stradling said:

The great part about his optimism about the Angels farm is the fact that less than 3 years ago he called the Angels farm system the worst he has ever seen.  So he isn’t someone that is generally optimistic about the Angels system.  

Agreed, its a very positive statement. 
its just odd that we went from being like 10-12 to 7 in one winter without anyone playing any ball :)    But hey ill take it. 

On 2/5/2019 at 8:45 AM, Taylor said:

But do the Mariners have a top 5 farm system now that all is said and done?

Keith Law ranks Mariners’ farm system 22nd

https://www.lookoutlanding.com/2019/2/4/18210726/keith-law-ranks-mariners-farm-system-22nd

The Mariners farm has improved, but not enough to move them out of a bottom-third farm ranking, according to Keith Law, who puts the Mariners at 22nd ($). Despite placing three Mariners on his Top-100 list, Law ranks the Mariners below the Kansas City Royals, the Texas Rangers, and the New York Yankees. As for other teams in the AL West, Law has the Athletics 27th, the Astros 12th, and the Angels all the way up at the 7th spot, citing a strong international class and “lesser-known names.” The top spot goes to the Padres over the Rays, with Law noting that the Rays have been slowed by player injuries. Last place belongs to the hapless Baltimore Orioles.

23 minutes ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

Keith Law ranks Mariners’ farm system 22nd

https://www.lookoutlanding.com/2019/2/4/18210726/keith-law-ranks-mariners-farm-system-22nd

The Mariners farm has improved, but not enough to move them out of a bottom-third farm ranking, according to Keith Law, who puts the Mariners at 22nd ($). Despite placing three Mariners on his Top-100 list, Law ranks the Mariners below the Kansas City Royals, the Texas Rangers, and the New York Yankees. As for other teams in the AL West, Law has the Athletics 27th, the Astros 12th, and the Angels all the way up at the 7th spot, citing a strong international class and “lesser-known names.” The top spot goes to the Padres over the Rays, with Law noting that the Rays have been slowed by player injuries. Last place belongs to the hapless Baltimore Orioles.

For all the jokes some of you have had about that, you do realize that the scenario mentioned never came to pass, right?  I hope?  

On 2/4/2019 at 11:09 PM, Dochalo said:

the most impressive part is that we haven't traded away key components of the major league club.  We haven't been drafting in the top 5.  We don't have nearly the established international presence of several major league clubs.  And we've even traded away some players to supplement the major league club (Newcomb, Ellis, Gott, Austin Adams, Kyle McGowin, Elvin Rodriguez, Grayson Long, Wilkel Hernandez, Troy Montgomery).  

Aside from Newcomb, those aren't top level guys, but they'd certainly be additional depth.  Rodriguez is in our top 20 right now and Hernandez and Long in our top 30 or so.  Probably Montgomery and Ellis as well.  

Without a doubt I want to see the Halos win this year.  It's far and away my number one priority for the 2019 team.  But in a distant second is for a bunch of the one year deals to succeed if we're out of the race so we can move them for a bunch of prospects.  Chances are that the latter begets a winning team which would be great, but the prospect junky in me wants more more more of the precious.  

The only thing better than winning is doing so with players that are from the farm system.  

We also got some help when all of those Former Braves prospects became Free Agents....

On 2/4/2019 at 10:08 PM, krAbs said:

and whose major league roster consisted of Mike Trout, Calhoun, Pujols, and 17.5 miles of sh*t. 

I don't think that's totally fair. Heaney, Skaggs, Shoemaker and Richards were good pieces, even Bedrosian had pretty good trade value back then I believe.

1 hour ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

I don't think that's totally fair. Heaney, Skaggs, Shoemaker and Richards were good pieces, even Bedrosian had pretty good trade value back then I believe.

I get that - I didn't count the first four because their careers have been too injury ridden to really be considered prime assets (imo), and Bedrosian I didn't count because imo a minor league reliever doesn't hold TOO much value for the team - no matter how much potential he shows.

But - I'll agree, I was exaggerating.

1 hour ago, Angelsjunky said:

KEITH LAW: "The Angels farm system is the worst I've ever seen."

ANGELSWIN: "What a jerk-off! East Coast Bias!"

KEITH LAW: "The Angels farm is #7 and climbing."

ANGELSWIN: "Genious!"

not sure the first part is actually true.  I think most here recognized how bad the system was back then. 

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

not sure the first part is actually true.  I think most here recognized how bad the system was back then. 

Exactly, there was no one on here who thought we had a good farm back when he said it.  I still say the reason I am excited about him ranking us 7th is he has a pretty good history of hating on our farm system.  

14 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Exactly, there was no one on here who thought we had a good farm back when he said it.  I still say the reason I am excited about him ranking us 7th is he has a pretty good history of hating on our farm system.  

Except he doesn't. Our farm system has been really terrible for a decade. He was one of the few national guys who had Trout ahead of Harper in the rankings. He also ranked Newcombe pretty highly. He missed on Calhoun, but who didn't? Have we had any other prospect worth a damn other than the above since he began raising the farm system ranking? He's been pretty consistently high on Jones, Adell, and is the highest of anyone I've seen on Adams. 

I think he's a little high on the Angels system right now, but I'm not going to complain about him ranking us 7 when we're probably closer to 10 as I wouldn't complain about anyone ranking us 13.

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

One the one hand it's nice to see the changes are getting attention outside of the organization.

On there other, I really don't give a crap about rankings, as long as talent makes it to the MLB ballclub and sticks. 

I don't know how much perception plays into value at the major league front office level, but I'm sure in the past a high rating could lead to higher return in trades. Often the perception of a good system is like a high tide raising all boats in terms of perceived value.

19 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

KEITH LAW: "The Angels farm system is the worst I've ever seen."

ANGELSWIN: "What a jerk-off! East Coast Bias!"

KEITH LAW: "The Angels farm is #7 and climbing."

ANGELSWIN: "Genious!"

Quit trying to be that guy...  The vast majority of people here accepted his view as a pretty real take on the system...   He's caught shit before, but not for that one....

Edited by Inside Pitch

Not sure why this is such a hard concept to understand.  Eppler was focused enough to try to build the Angels without trading prospects.  He continues to sign low priced, with hopefully high upside FA for short contracts.   Some have been almost successful but really haven't gotten us to the playoffs.  Meanwhile, the farm keeps accumulating 55+ players.  As they start to accumulate, the 50's, 45's, start dropping off the Top 30.  Eventually tie stature of the Farm goes up.  But here in lies the problem. 

How many of these guys actually produce once they hit the Bigs?  Ward?  Fletcher?  Thaiss?  Canning?  Are they the new Superstars?

Yeah it's great to have a great farm.  But how many Brandon Wood's and Kaleb Cowart's do we have to go through to get a Trout?  Ok he is the GOAT.  So, an Anderson, Salmon, Edmonds, or Erstad?

2 hours ago, Fregosi said:

Yeah it's great to have a great farm.  But how many Brandon Wood's and Kaleb Cowart's do we have to go through to get a Trout?  Ok he is the GOAT.  So, an Anderson, Salmon, Edmonds, or Erstad?

It's been three years and he inherited absolute dogshit.   It took 30+ years to get any of the guys you mentioned.   

The farm could take another big step forward this year. A good draft, combined with another year in the international market, combined with guys in the lower levels taking another step forward could advance the farm further. And if the team is out of contention in July, a guy like Harvey (provided he is having a very good season) could bring back a top 100 prospect.

17 hours ago, True Grich said:

I once tweeted that Keith Law was like Simon Cowell... in that, even when he's right - he can still be a jerk.

Many weeks later, I learned he blocked me from following him on Twitter.  I wear that distinction with pride. 

He's a little full of himself. 

To be fair it's mostly because he despises American Idol

7 hours ago, Fregosi said:

Not sure why this is such a hard concept to understand.  Eppler was focused enough to try to build the Angels without trading prospects.  He continues to sign low priced, with hopefully high upside FA for short contracts.   Some have been almost successful but really haven't gotten us to the playoffs.  Meanwhile, the farm keeps accumulating 55+ players.  As they start to accumulate, the 50's, 45's, start dropping off the Top 30.  Eventually tie stature of the Farm goes up.  But here in lies the problem. 

How many of these guys actually produce once they hit the Bigs?  Ward?  Fletcher?  Thaiss?  Canning?  Are they the new Superstars?

It's an easy concept that everyone gets.  Where we are impressed is in the execution.  

Ward and Fletcher weren't in that category as they were never really top prospects.  Thaiss really hasn't been either.  Canning is.  

How many superstars are there is baseball?  How many do you expect on one team?  There are Cowart's around all over.  There are rarely Brandon Wood types these days where a top 5 prospect completely bombs.  

Every player (almost) was once a farm hand.  They have to come from somewhere.  

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

It's an easy concept that everyone gets.  Where we are impressed is in the execution.  

Ward and Fletcher weren't in that category as they were never really top prospects.  Thaiss really hasn't been either.  Canning is.  

How many superstars are there is baseball?  How many do you expect on one team?  There are Cowart's around all over.  There are rarely Brandon Wood types these days where a top 5 prospect completely bombs.  

Every player (almost) was once a farm hand.  They have to come from somewhere.  

Fletcher may not have been considered a top prospect, but of the group, he was first to make his MLB debut.  He will be relied on heavily this coming Season at least as a versatile backup.  He's the best we got in terms of off the farm infielders, that are MLB ready.  Unfortunately, he is no Gleybar Torres. 

I would think there is an expectation early on that Thaiss (16th Overall) and Ward (26th Overall) would have evolved into Top Prospects.  Canning has, as a 2nd Rounder.  Our last Top Prospect was 25th Overall in the 2009 Draft.  He was drafted after another Angel Draftee who hasn't shared the same success as the 25th Overall.   Speaking of the 2009 Draft, 2 to 5 Overall were Dustin Ackley, Donovan Tate, Jorge Sanchez, and Matthew Hobgood (Strasberg was #1).  I would consider them all to be Brandon Woods.  Guess a top 5 pick can completely bomb now days.  Oh and Cowart was drafted 18th Overall in 2010.  Somehow his Angel career seems similar to Woods.  What do you think?  

How many Superstars do I expect on one Team.  More than 1.  How many do you think the Angels have currently?

The Farm has vastly improved under Eppler.  That is for certain and I am grateful this has evolved.  But we have not seen anything out of the farm come to fruition yet.  While I am hopeful that Ward, Thaiss, and Canning can make an impact in the very near future, I am more certain that the next group led by Adell will make a larger impact.  If Eppler decides to not use the Farm as trade bait, the Farm will continue to bring in 50+ players, thus eliminating the below 50's players off the Top 30 List. 

Meanwhile, we need to be hopeful that players like Pujols, Cozart, Calhoun, Lucroy, and the Other Infielder (Ward, Fletcher, Refigo), can at least be at replacement level.  That will get us 3-4 more games and get us in the Wild Card hunt.