• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Fletcher versus Ward

Revad

Purely based off what I saw last year, Fletcher should be given more opportunities. I’m not sold on Ward but he also made a position change in the last year and still got the call.  I think Fletcher will be on opening day roster. I still think Eppler will either sign a 3B or go with Cozart. 

Edited by jordan

I am rooting for Ward to win the 3b job outright and push Cozart to 2b with Fletcher starting in AAA.  

I like Fletcher, but realistically, he's a util guy long term.  

I think the odds aren't great, but Ward solving 3b would be huge.  It would be great if he has a kick ass spring and carries that over.   A .250/.330/.430 season with 15hr and 15 sbs with avg. defense would be a solid 2.5-3.0 WAR year.   Again, it's a long shot, but that would be the ideal outcome.   

Then you've got Fletcher and Rengifo to replace Cozart if need be.   

52 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I am rooting for Ward to win the 3b job outright and push Cozart to 2b with Fletcher starting in AAA.  

I think the odds aren't great, but Ward solving 3b would be huge.  It would be great if he has a kick ass spring and carries that over.   A .250/.330/.430 season with 15hr and 15 sbs with avg. defense would be a solid 2.5-3.0 WAR year.   Again, it's a long shot, but that would be the ideal outcome.   

Great Minds think Alike

Remains to be seen who will be overall more valuable, but I can pretty much guarantee Fletcher is on the opening day roster.  At the very least he is a solid utility player so even if he isn't hitting he has a fair amount of value there.  Despite being on pace for 36 doubles, he wasn't very good overall as a hitter.  However, in only 80 games he played great enough defense to be worth about 2 WAR by both baseball reference and fangraphs. 

Ward is an unknown.  He played solid defense from what I saw at 3B and should only get better, but it's hard to envision him doing enough in ST to earn a starting role (although I'm certainly hoping for it).  Even if he does, wouldn't Fletcher still be on the roster as their utility guy?

Bottom line is that Fletcher is a versatile player with above average defense.  For those reasons alone he will have a role on the team to start the season.

11 minutes ago, floplag said:

I think Ward will need to show a lot more offensively before we have this discussion.  
Im jaded, ill admit it, weve seen far too many guys turn out to be AAAA players but we really need Ward to not be that guy as we pretty much have noone else long term at this point.

Yeah that is kind of how I feel about it.  It's really all speculation and hope at this point.  He hasn't shown anything at the MLB level to convince me he will be successful at the plate.  And without being an above average hitter he really doesn't have much value.  That is why my bet would 100% be on Fletcher getting an opening day spot if its between the two (although its always possible they both get it).  Fletcher will be there because he has proven to be a very good utility player while doing enough with the bat to not be a total liability.

Edited by AngelsFanSince86
That's not to say I'm convinced he won't be a good hitter. However, if we are comparing the two players: one has shown value at the MLB level and the other hasn't.

4 hours ago, Dochalo said:

Just noting that you go to "realistically" on Fletcher and then just list what you hope for on Ward.

And that's fine but "realistically" Ward hasn't even shown that he is good enough to be a bench guy in the majors.

I like both players. Fletch had  a good first cup of coffee, while Ward not as much. Many here are down on Ward because of his small sample of stats. Heck, Trout’s first shot wasn’t so great. I think we will see better from Ward if he gets regular playing time. The lineup could use his power.

15 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Just noting that you go to "realistically" on Fletcher and then just list what you hope for on Ward.

And that's fine but "realistically" Ward hasn't even shown that he is good enough to be a bench guy in the majors.

I am mostly talking about their ceilings.  Ward's is higher with a much less likely chance of him getting there.  

Fletcher doesn't have much power and walks at a very low rate.   

Ward has power and the ability to get on base at a high rate regardless of his avg.  

they both have similar speed and Fletcher is clearly the better defender.  

the only way Fletcher really excels into securing himself an everyday spot over time is if he ends up hitting for a very high avg.  Not out of the question mind you.  

Here's a little something about Ward that I totally forgot.  

He's actually made steady progress with his bat.  He tore up rookie/A ball in his first year as expected for a first round pick (sort of) coming out of college. 

Then he stalled out in A+ the next year with a wRC+ of 82 (2016)

In 2017, he started in A+ again and put up a 103 wRC+

Then, he got promoted to AA and had a 135 wRC+ there for the rest of the year (145 PA)

2018 started in AA with the weight of having to catch being lifted off his shoulders and he put's up a 178 wRC+ and pretty much carries that forward in AAA with a 160 wRC+.  

My point of this is that even though last year was eye-popping in terms of the overall offense numbers in the minors, he was showing solid progress from level to level in making the necessary adjustments.  Something way to early to assume he won't do now that he's reached the majors.   

I too am rooting for Taylor Ward.

If he comes out and has a strong ST both offensively and defensively, he doesn't really have anything else to prove in the minors with the bat after last season unless he struggles defensively at the hot corner. 

Ward has the potential to post double digits in HR and SB (Combined for a 20/20 season between the minors and big leagues in '18), while posting a solid OBP (.446 in the minors in '18) if he continues his success from last season. 

Also, Cozart shouldn't be handed the starting 2B job either. I would keep it an open competition for 3B and 2B for Ward, Cozart, Fletcher, Rengifo and La Stella. 

1 minute ago, Chuckster70 said:

I too am rooting for Taylor Ward. If he comes out and has a strong ST both offensively and defensively, he doesn't really have anything else to prove in the minors with the bat after last season unless he struggles defensively at the hot corner. 

Ward has the potential to post double digits in HR and SB (Combined for a 20/20 season between the minors and big leagues in '18), while posting a solid OBP (.446 in the minors in '18) if he continues his success from last season. 

I look at Fletcher and Ward like I look at who will have the bounce back year thread.  It is much easier to trust improvement from a guy who can take a walk versus a guy that refuses to walk.  That is why I think Cozart has the best chance of bouncing back and Ward has a decent chance of being useful.  When your OBP is 60+ points higher than your batting average you can be a decent stick even if you aren’t much of a threat.